PDA

View Full Version : 850 silent horn fix

neevo
Tuesday 11th April 2006, 20:07
Posted a while ago within another thread, both of us having a silent horn. I managed to fix mine easily and without any electrical work!

In my case I had already checked the fuse and the horn contacts, the next stage fixed it:

Tools required:
size T30 torx wrench (the bits on my cheapo multitool driver weren't long enough so I bought this as part of a set from Homebase for just under £7).

1 can of electrical contact cleaner (about £3.40 from Maplins - get one with a straw).

Method:
Align wheels straight ahead, easiest when parking and the engine running!

Disconnect the battery.

Put key in ignition and turn to 1st position to take off the steering lock.

Rotate the wheel 90 degrees one way.

Insert the torx wrench into the hole on the back of the steering wheel, ie the side facing the facia, and undo the screw.

Rotate the wheel back through 180 degrees and repeat on that side.

CAREFULLY lift off the airbag unit and disconnect the electrical contact plug in the centre.

You will now see 3 metal plates, one above the other 2 and kept apart by springs. When you hit the horn these touch and complete the circuit. You can see 2 wires with standard spade connectors, one coming from behind the wheel and connecting to one of the lower plates the other connecting the top plate to a connector behind which will complete the circuit.

Squirt the cleaning fluid between the plates and onto the spade connectors, this is where the straw proves useful (I removed and replaced the connectors too to ensure a better connection).

Align the wheel dead ahead and reconnect the airbag unit then just screw it back into place.

Connect the battery and listen with aural pleasure as the horn blasts out when you hit your head against it. Now isn't that more satisfying than nutting a wall when no-one can hear you?! *

Total time: Less than 15 mins
Total cost: Less than £11 but the purchases can still be used afterwards :)

*Note. You could test the horn properly but where's the fun in that?

nobananas
Tuesday 11th April 2006, 21:42
Sounds good ! My only concern would be that I've always been advised to disconnect the battery and wait half an hour before removing the airbag. Something to do with capacitor discharge or summit !

LeeT5
Tuesday 11th April 2006, 23:13
Sounds good ! My only concern would be that I've always been advised to disconnect the battery and wait half an hour before removing the airbag. Something to do with capacitor discharge or summit !

:B_thumb: Dead on!! Your right m8.