PDA

View Full Version : Boot

Russell
Tuesday 11th April 2006, 13:14
I have a T5 estate which a rattling boot, the cover that is on the rear door which covers the rear wiper motor is loose and rattles.

I have had a quick look and it seems like the connectors / prongs are worn and causing the rattle.

What would anyone suggest as a good fix for this? I have a 9 stone hound who has been known to "slide" about a bit when the turbo is in full song :)

I am reluctant to go to the main dealer as they seem to be priced for company car users.

t5owner
Tuesday 11th April 2006, 14:49
Try salvo mate or even marshalls check in the members discount section for details

Cheers

stuart

Martinr
Tuesday 11th April 2006, 15:29
Sounds like you need the tailgate trim repair kit treatment.

Standard fault on the 850 it seems. The holes that the trim fasteners fit into get enlarged, and the trim rattles. The kit should be supplemented by new clips (they are not included).

Previous owner of my car fixed the rattle by putting a screw into the plastic of the high level brake light trim. Works a treat.

pault5
Tuesday 11th April 2006, 15:55
hi,
common problem.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TAILGATE-TRIM-REPAIR-KIT-FOR-VOLVO-850-V70-ESTATES_W0QQitemZ4629061429QQcategoryZ10432QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem

iGGy
Tuesday 11th April 2006, 16:55
Be careful with those kits. You can get one that just has the plate repair bits and one that also includes the plastic clips. Not much point in doing the plate repair if your clips are also damaged...or you damage them whilst removing the panel.

Also as ever with Ebay, prices sometimes go silly and you'd be better off getting them elsewhere.

Russell
Tuesday 11th April 2006, 18:15
Thanks for the helpful tips. Guess Im going to be crouched in the back with the dog this w/e :)

ahhpigsy
Tuesday 11th April 2006, 23:30
Hi Mate.

I have tried the volvo kit and an aftermarket kit and both were crap, lasted for a few weeks then the clips broke again. It is because the boot shuts with a bang, breaks the clips or enlarges the holes.
This is what i did and it is foolproof. Takes a while but will last.

Take the cover off, if you have the haynes manual it helps as the interior handle surround is a bit tricky to remove without damaging it.
Locate on the boot lid the bottom holes where the clips would locate, square holes in the metal. Use the present system for the top of the trim.

Cut 2" lengths of wood, approx 1" x 1 " section for each hole. Fix these to the interior of the boot with gripfill or similar. You are not relying on the gripfill to last or hold the cover just to temporarilly hold the wood in place.

Offer up the trim and mark where the wood is in respect to the outside of the trim, drill holes through the trim to line up with the wood, a 3mm bit should do. Once the gripfill has dried screw, using 1" number 6 screws through the holes in the trim and into the wood. The cover is now secure and will not rattle again. The wood is held tight by the screws and trim. The screw are small and will not be seen except when the boot is open, and then hardly noticable. And if you need to remove the trim it is easy to do.

Sounds a lot but it only takes 30 mins and will fix this prob, mine did not rattle again. Cant give any pics as the car is sold now.

Try it it works.

Jod T5
Wednesday 12th April 2006, 10:44
Sorry Russell but rattly rear estate boot cover is a real problem for us 855 drivers. There is a aftermarket kit available from volvo and on ebay for about a tenner
Believe me they are s*i*e, i have tried them, twice. The bottom ones are easy enough but the top ones will not hold. Apart from that getting the cover off in the first place is a pain cos getting the plasitc bit off round the handle is a complete knightmare.
Simple what i did is drilled 4 three mil holes accross the length of the tailgate cover and drilled in 4, 4mm by 30 mm self tappers, two of which can be seen below
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d157/jod1jod/Bootlinerblowup5.jpg
Piece of cake and no rattles (sorry about the pic size)
Cheers
Jod