PDA

View Full Version : Aux Input - not an ipod question!

Hartington
Monday 10th April 2006, 21:51
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere - I've looked but can't find the answer I need.

Just ordered a new S60 with premium sound system. I don't have an ipod, but do have a minidisc player so want to connect it using a standard 3.5mm plug/socket. Also wondered whether I could connect a digital radio on the same basis - will it work ok while in motion?

I think the Volvo ipod fit includes a USB cable rather than a 3.5mm plug?

Where's the best place to get the auxiliary input added in the UK?

dreadly
Tuesday 11th April 2006, 09:26
I too would love to know this.

I have the same sound system and a 3.5mm jack input or phono in would be superb.

Dreadly

dreadly
Tuesday 11th April 2006, 09:33
After a little research, you could fit an FM Modulator from Maplins for £19.99 but I am unsure of the audio quality and how the Dolby Surround system will handle this input.

The VOLVO MP3 Ipod input is a whopping £350 fitted !!! - This seems a little extreem to say the least.

Although the IPod Interface uses the CD-Multichanger input, so it may be possible to 'rig' something up to these inputs?

Dreadly

Azza
Tuesday 11th April 2006, 09:43
I bought a Belkin Tunecast II FM transmitter via eBay. Heard mixed reports with them, but as mp3's make up a vast majority of my collection i had to give it a go and i didn't want to fork out the cash for a new mp3-changer.

I paid about £25 i think and the bloody thing works a treat, sound quality was very good.

I think the key to using the FM transmitters is to buy a good quality one!

Azza

Hartington
Thursday 20th April 2006, 18:55
Good idea - have ordered the Belkin FM transmitter as a cheap and straightforward option - will let you know how it goes....

Azza
Friday 21st April 2006, 09:42
Well i just did a 500mile drive over the Bank Holiday weekend and my Zen micro was plugged into the Belkin for the whole journey!

I must say i was very impressed, there was only minor interference at certain points, mine was tuned to 88.3fm, and mainly when i whizzed through a built-up area. But all in all i was surprised how well it worked and the quality of the sound :)

Hope yours gives you a similar experience!

Azza