PDA

View Full Version : LPG an our cars

firestorm
Monday 10th April 2006, 19:58
hi, as some of you may know, i have a company converting cars to LPG, i have tried to keep this low key from this forum, as i am not on here touting for work, but because i own, and enjoy, a T5, i have answered a few question about LPG cars before. I am not here to argue about LPG conversions, or to try and talk any of you into having a conversion done.

For those of you that are interested, there is mainly 2 different types of LPG systems fitted to cars, single point, or multi point.

single point put's all the LPG down the intake of the vehicle, it is a cheaper way of doing things, but there are many fall backs, the main one being alot of gas in one area, and should a mis-fire occour, this can ruin things, (MAF sensor, inlet manifold, if it's plastic etc.)

multi point, or sequential systems, have nozzles drilled into the inlet manifold, close to the petrol injectors, and have seperate LPG injectors (one per cylinder) to feed these nozzles, the system runs off the petrol injector pulse, so it is at the right time,

For cars after 1992, i wil only fit the sequential systems, this is because it a much safer system, to the engine etc, i personally fit a system built by OMVL, called Piro (pronounced Pea-row ), this system was only released on 1st March this year, and is extremly impressive, it has a self learning ECU, so it will alter the amout of fuel, to different enviroments. The manufactures are so confident in the product, they offer a 24 month guarantee.

The pros, mainly cost, LPG can now be found in many petrol stations, at approx half the price, or less, of petrol. It also a cleaner burning fuel, so you are also helping the enviroment. Some convertors, say you can extend the service times, due to less carbon deposites going into the engine oil, i do not reccomend this, as a service is alot more than an oil change!!!

the cons, initial cost of having a conversion done, probably have to do 15-20k miles to pay for the conversion. Loss of boot space, the LPG fuel tank is normally situated in the spare wheel well (do-nut) tank, or mounted in the boot floor (cylinder) tank.

Diesel cars cannot be one by me, i am not satisfied with the diesel kits on the market, and will not fit any, until i have been running a diesel converted car for at least 6 months.

Most petrol engines, however, can be converted, i have done ford f150 5.4L supercharged, dodge rams, jeep grand cherokee's, v8 range rover's, chrysler grand voyager's, rover 216, vauxhall sintra, ford explorer, american motor homes, volvo v40 2.0L auto, jag's, etc.

The MPG on gas is about the same (maybe 1 or 2 MPG less, if that), there is no power loss, if you run out of gas, the vehicle will switch back over to petrol, you can switch between fuels at 100mph.

I have run limousines on LPG, and i have personally dove over 100,000 miles on LPG converted vehicles, before i started doing the conversions.

So there you have it, i hope this has answered some of your questions, if you have an LPG car, or have had, please tell us all about it, whether it was good, or bad, if you have anymore questions, please feel free to ask.

Please PM me with full details of you vehicle, if you require a quote.

T5SLAVE
Monday 10th April 2006, 21:14
PM'd mate :)

abdul
Monday 10th April 2006, 22:33
i have avolvo v70 t5 converted to gas ihave the multi point it drives the same as when on petrol you do have to be carefull who u have it converted from as a lot of people say they are the best but are just cowboys i think it is worth as volvo are known to do high mileage other wise the t5 are heavy on petrol lpg 40p liter better to convert alow mileage as in long term the conversion pays for itself if ican will post some pictures hope this helps any one thinking of gas

theravedaddy
Monday 10th April 2006, 23:55
ive been running my transit on cooking oil,cheap as you like but a few drawbacks- you have to get a big trolley full even if youve only popped in for milk,
it takes 'kin ages to empty the bottles in the tank,
its wasnt too keen to start in the cold,
IT ALWAYS SMELLS OF CHIPS!
......anyone got any use for a thousand empty 3 litre oil bottles??

Evil Edna
Tuesday 11th April 2006, 10:18
I have an s40 which is standard bi-fuel! oh the joys of volvo and there little escapades:)

Is there any tuning you can do to an lpg car though?

Baj
Tuesday 11th April 2006, 10:44
LPG is a tempting idea but it is one hell of an investment. The price of LPG has been slowly increasing overthe years and there is nothing to stop the tax breaks being stopped next budget. Then there will be some angry people about.

As for cooking oil, collect it used from schools and restaurants for free and filter it yourself :)

Murphy
Tuesday 11th April 2006, 10:51
I wonder what range i would have with an LPG tank ?

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 11th April 2006, 10:55
where would you put the tank? On the roof?

Murphy
Tuesday 11th April 2006, 10:59
where would you put the tank? On the roof?

In the boot ? :shifty: