PDA

View Full Version : depressive mpg thingy

theravedaddy
Sunday 9th April 2006, 20:46
that average mpg display? its just there to depress you isnt it? ive been driving round like miss daiseys chauffeur and the damn thing wont go above 19.5.....or is that it??

Andrew
Sunday 9th April 2006, 20:52
that average mpg display? its just there to depress you isnt it? ive been driving round like miss daiseys chauffeur and the damn thing wont go above 19.5.....or is that it??

Welcome to my world - although I can get it to 21mpg if I try really really hard.

signia
Sunday 9th April 2006, 20:53
I'm not sure over what distance or time the average is taken. But yes, it is depressing. If it's worked out the same way as the miles left in tank figure is, it's not right... when my dad first got his S80, he ran out of fuel using it.

He said "it said it had 30 miles left, and then the car stopped and then it went to zero" :D

Vikingxl
Sunday 9th April 2006, 20:54
I just dont look at mine its not worth it!

theravedaddy
Sunday 9th April 2006, 20:56
yep! was thinking of putting a sticker on there saying 25.......just to make me feel better when booting it!

BigJC
Sunday 9th April 2006, 20:59
My average over the past 6500 miles is 25.3mpg and I don't drive too slowly. I've got a RICA 280 which might explain why she sips and doesn't guzzle.

I'm sure it won't be long before a diesel deviant turns up to depress you more. Mind you it's hard not to get good mpg ploughing fields in their tractors!

BlackBeast
Sunday 9th April 2006, 21:16
If going via the trip computer, then currently im on an average of 28.2mpg with the 310 map. I have been having fun recently though :) Usually, its around 30mpg average.

siamblue
Sunday 9th April 2006, 21:16
I used to get high teens driving around the city, on the motorway nudging the 30 mark,

Gary.

JO5EPH
Sunday 9th April 2006, 21:31
If going via the trip computer, then currently im on an average of 28.2mpg with the 310 map. I have been having fun recently though :) Usually, its around 30mpg average.

Is that with motorway driving??

Mine's gettin 24.5 I think, thats with plenty of town driving and plenty of motorway driving!

Joe :)

BlackBeast
Sunday 9th April 2006, 21:58
Is that with motorway driving??

Mine's gettin 24.5 I think, thats with plenty of town driving and plenty of motorway driving!

Joe :)

Hi Joe, its mostly on A roads, but yes a few motorways have been used.

Baj
Sunday 9th April 2006, 22:41
Years ago when I had a 480 I had hours of fun flipping through the information about how uneconomical my driving was.
My V70 tells me the time and the temperature. Is this normal or am I being a moron and missing an obvious button?

I pressed the one I thought it was and the rear wipe went accross the window.

Vikingxl
Sunday 9th April 2006, 22:44
No not all of them have the trip computer thing mate but just check the switches on the left hand side of the wheel if there is one with a turny knob thing try turning it as it will change the info displayed on the dash if there isnt one then you wont be able to turn it

T5SLAVE
Sunday 9th April 2006, 23:44
Hi all,
As u may or may not know I originally bought into Volvo as I was convinced they were THE car's to convert to LPG...so with this in mind I was clearly looking for excellent mpg returns, savings in the wallet etc. However, since buying into Volvo and more importantly the 850 T5 I now own, my views on the gas conversion and mpg returns have been forced to make a sharp u turn!!!
I'm not complaining tho cos I really like gettin behind the wheel of me new beast :) :) :) The mpg stats can take a back seat as far as I'm concearned now, the T5's stayin and I'm lovin it..........oh by the way average currently sittin at 18.7, I must make me a feathery right boot :sinner:

Wobbly Dave
Monday 10th April 2006, 09:06
As a performance engine I think that you get decent mpg for the power. If mileage is your main concern - buy another car.

signia
Monday 10th April 2006, 09:09
Years ago when I had a 480 I had hours of fun flipping through the information about how uneconomical my driving was...

he he :D

Andy
Monday 10th April 2006, 10:37
As a performance engine I think that you get decent mpg for the power. If mileage is your main concern - buy another car.

Totally agree.

I say this loads .... it is a 2.3 Engine with a dirty great turbo bolted on!

:P

Murphy
Monday 10th April 2006, 11:03
I seem to remember my Fabia being a match for a 300 hp Volvo ;) and 38 mpg :D.

Go on peeps, you know you want to !

Wobbly Dave
Monday 10th April 2006, 11:25
I seem to remember my Fabia being a match for a 300 hp Volvo ;) and 38 mpg :D.

Go on peeps, you know you want to !
buy one? Nah - I'll pass thanks.

jimmyc
Monday 10th April 2006, 11:27
My average over the past 6500 miles is 25.3mpg and I don't drive too slowly. I've got a RICA 280 which might explain why she sips and doesn't guzzle.

I'm sure it won't be long before a diesel deviant turns up to depress you more. Mind you it's hard not to get good mpg ploughing fields in their tractors!
hoh yes im here
my d5 doin 38 round town, let you know what i get on a run soon regard rich lol :remybussi

Murphy
Monday 10th April 2006, 11:28
buy one?

This advice isn't for you Dave, you have demonstrated that fuel costs aren't a problem for you.

For everyone else, do consider a D5 as an alternative as they are very efficient and quite quick :D

lance
Monday 10th April 2006, 11:56
Im averaging 24 mpg over 2000 miles that includes a trip to Avon park and a lot of city work. The stock 854 T5 has been averaging 23.5 over a similar distance.

S60D5
Monday 10th April 2006, 12:51

I disagree. I used to think this, but I have friends with similarly performing if not faster cars (as standard) with 2.5 - 3.0 V6's etc that return a better average than the T5.

My uncle drives like a bat out of hell, mixed driving and gets 23mpg out of his 4.0 V8 Jaguar.

But would I buy another T5? - Oh yes... in a heartbeat! :B_blite:

JackT5
Monday 10th April 2006, 19:50
When i first got my T5 i took the kids to the ex wifes, motorway all the way, door to door 256 miles.Logged the mileage when i filled up, I took it steady going and got 31mpg, logged mileage again and never dropped much below 90 coming back, including the odd bit of fun....result....27mpg. Needless to say i never took it steady again. I admit around town consumption can be a bit depressing but as Wobbly states you dont buy a T5 for the economy, you buy it cos it will take the kids to school during the week, lug rubbish to the tip etc and give you a grin from ear to ear while you do it.

jimka
Wednesday 12th April 2006, 02:53
i'm not hoping for good mpg when i get a c70.. if i do!

if i wanted good mpg i'd keep my s40 115bhp.

she's currently averaging 62mpg over the last 1500 miles.. we dont have motorways on the island.. and have a 1/4 mile stretch of dual carriageway!

the roads are terrible and since its been for sale i've been v.good with my right foot, showing to viewers the sort of mpg achievable.

think i'd rather have the power of a T5 then a dirty derv burner though!

Murphy
Wednesday 12th April 2006, 07:35
think i'd rather have the power of a T5 then a dirty derv burner though!

The point was, diesel is as quick as petrol. Taking my Fabia as a case in point, it had a RICA remap only, and could make reasonable progress on a 310hp T5. In addition it didn't fare too bad against Hamish's 300WHP P2 T5. So diesel ain't that bad ?

jimka
Wednesday 12th April 2006, 13:50
I was talking from a personal point of view. My s40 derv does 0-60mph in 10.2seconds* and can keep up with most 1.6 petrols. However, it would not compete with a 1.8, 1.9 or 2.0 petrol engine car with similar weight.

your fabia standard does "around" 9 seconds to 60mph* which is pretty impressive.. especially seeing its 50 odd kg heavier than my volvo!*

out of intrest, what sort of 0-60mph times were you capable of achieving once it was chipped? what bhp increase did you have? -- i know 0-60mph isn't everything.. but it is a common ballpoint figure to base "standing still to moving" peformance on. :)
*source parkers.co.uk/choosing/specs

Murphy
Wednesday 12th April 2006, 14:02
6.6 0-60 with 3 gear changes. It produced around 160 WHP.

4th and 5th gear were the killers, although they were all quite spicy to around 145 mph :D

wright_t5
Wednesday 12th April 2006, 15:02
Umm, interesting mpg values coming through, I drive mine hard and fast all the time, town, motorway, have rica (big un) and return 19.5... can get it to 20.5 but over a long distance... I reckon that is acceptable considering the vehicle, weight, size, and big foot.... it would do 26/27 if I took it easy I am sure... but then I wouldn't be enjoying the ol gal.... :B_steerin

Why do people complain about these things... if you want 40 mpg get a diesel or a metro...