PDA

View Full Version : lift off breathing type noise

signia
Sunday 9th April 2006, 14:20
Hi all,

Mate of mine noticed this morning as I pulled away, what he described as white smoke from the exhaust. I got home and had a look and it appeared that it was just condensation. If you put your hand infront of the exhaust water just appeared on your hand.

But whilst I was revving the engine, I heard the car sort of breath in on lift off from the thottle. Almost like a dump valve, not as whistley or that loud.
It might have always done this. I think it's the first time I've had the bonnet up whilst giving it some throttle.

Anyway, I was sort of putting two and two together.
If my exhaust diagnosis was incorrect, and the breathing noise isn't normal, could there be a problem with the turbo? I've heard blown turbos can cause white smoke. :confused:

There's no problem with performance. Still pulls as good as ever. It only had the 3yr service at the end of Feb, so I'm sure they would have said. Or if there was a turbo pressure problem a fault message would come up maybe?

I know a lot of you guys have turbos, and my knowledge of them is limited, so I'd appreciate any thoughts.
Cheers.

Rbphot
Sunday 9th April 2006, 17:05
I Had the white smoke on startup, when stu(sw autos had it in last week for some other work and MOT) was checking out the thermostat/senso we found a small crankcase breather pipe was split next to the inlet manifold, have a good look around this system, as my fault is gone with this fixed.

Hope this helps

Ray

signia
Sunday 9th April 2006, 20:30
Thanks Ray.

Where would I find the crankcase breather pipe? I'm assuming somewhere around the turbo. Would it be pushing out air out of any crack whilst the car is running?

Whilst I can reel off car stats and specs and bore my mates to death in the process, I don't have much of a clue when it comes to engine bits I'm afraid :)

I should really start learning now my car's out of warranty!

Cheers.

theravedaddy
Sunday 9th April 2006, 20:43
a blown turbo is normally a turbo that has excessive wear in the bearings or seals allowing oil to bypass the seals and get burned,especially on overrun, giving you blue (burnt oil) smoke. the smoke will hang around in the air when it exits the exhaust whereby white smoke (condensation)will evaporate after a few inches from the tailpipe (at idle).
the air has been very damp recently so condensation will be more noticeable.
there are other variables so this is just a rough guide,hope it helps.

signia
Sunday 9th April 2006, 20:57
well it is only white smoke, and exhaust smells normal too. It was starting pretty much from cold. (drove about a mile then stopped for about two hours).

I'll still have a nose around. Still not sure whether the breathing effect is normal or not. I like the sound though :)

thanks.