PDA

View Full Version : Starting Concern

dreadly
Sunday 9th April 2006, 08:24
Just a quickie,

My S60 T5 more often than not takes a fair bit of churning over on cold mornings to start, I'm sure this isn't normal and I have only owned the car a month or so, any help appreciated.

Dreadly :B_steerin

BigJC
Sunday 9th April 2006, 10:47
Is your service history up to date? You could take a spark plug out and look for clues.

It really could be any number of things and I'm sure someone will come up with the answer!

Vikingxl
Sunday 9th April 2006, 16:18
Battery could be on its way out mine starts a whole lot better now its had a new one

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 9th April 2006, 18:17
start with ignition system. - plugs, rotar arm, dissy cap, HT leads, then battery.

Are you doing lots of short runs? Does the car turn over readily on the starter or is it a bit laboured.

jimka
Sunday 9th April 2006, 19:21
as mentioned - if the battery is coming to the end of its life, it might be making it difficult for the engine to start (not having enough boost to turn the starter quick enough)

try giving it a trickle over night and see if it helps, otherwise look into the sparks etc -- although i would expect this to be the problem if you are noticing hesitation and lack of pull etc.

Vikingxl
Sunday 9th April 2006, 19:23
If one or more cells on the battery has seen better days a charge wont help

dreadly
Sunday 9th April 2006, 22:30
Thanks for the reply, but just to clarify....

The engine turns over as expected, not too slow, not too fast.
It just doesn't seem to fire!
I recently fitted my new Air Filter 'ITG' Foam and it seemed to get slightly worse.

This has me a little puzzled, I mainly drive fairly long distances though.

Today (Car hasn't been started since friday night) it churned over for 12-15 times before firing.

the car only has 20k miles! - I may just take it back to the dealer, do you think he will moan about the ITG air filter?

Many thanks for the reply's, don't think I'm moaning, I 'LOVE' this car :)
Dreadly

Vikingxl
Sunday 9th April 2006, 22:33
If you still have the original filter put it back in for the trip

dreadly
Sunday 9th April 2006, 22:47
If you still have the original filter put it back in for the trip

But I put the fancy sticker on the airbox... :cry:

Oh well

Vikingxl
Sunday 9th April 2006, 22:48
Sticker means nothing just tell them you did it to look pretty!

Wobbly Dave
Monday 10th April 2006, 09:22
Still think it has something to do with the ignition. Could be a dodgy sensor, but I still would start with the simple stuff. Plugs, HT leads (misread original post - just realised it dont have a dissy :slap: )

Get the codes read too.

madness
Wednesday 12th April 2006, 22:09
lmao @ wobbly!!!!!! dizzy cap and rotor for an s60 :slap:

dont worry i know you're only trying to help