PDA

View Full Version : Spotting a T5

neevo
Saturday 8th April 2006, 12:02
Now I'm really showing my ignorance but how can you tell an 850 T5 from an ordinary 850 (or x70 cf. a x70 T5)?

I see people reporting a Saffron T5 in such & such a place yet I am just about capable of recognising an 850 over a x70 on the streets so how do you know it's a T?

Oh yeah, might as well get all my ignorances out in the open, I am correct in assuming that a T4 is a turbo 4 cylinder; T5 turbo 5 cylinder and a T6 a turbo 6 cylinder arent I? It's not that the T5 is a newer engine than the T4 is it?

Last but not least how does a T16 differ from a T19 turbo (other than by 3 T's!), what is the designation referring to? Air mass through the turbo; number of blades?

Thanks in advance from this ignoramus, now back to my dribbling.....

neevo
Sunday 9th April 2006, 20:25
Wow, didnt realise my question was so difficult!

Vikingxl
Sunday 9th April 2006, 20:28
Usually the alloys give it away or even the badge if you are close enough.The R's ars easier because of the front bumpers.Roof spoilers turn up on all sorts so thats not a good spotting idea.Or if the drivers have any sense a VPCUK sticker in the window.Hope thats of some help

marshall_volvo
Sunday 9th April 2006, 20:32
none our master tech has a 2.5 auto but looks exactly like a T5r he has the front bumper fitted the columba alloys and rear spoiler i thought it was the first time i saw it,so did moppy and wax when they popped over plus has no badges on the back to state what it is hehe

siamblue
Sunday 9th April 2006, 21:23
none our master tech has a 2.5 auto but looks exactly like a T5r he has the front bumper fitted the columba alloys and rear spoiler i thought it was the first time i saw it,so did moppy and wax when they popped over plus has no badges on the back to state what it is hehe

Boy are you in trouble now. hehehehe. :troutslap T5R Columba Moppy oh dear.

neevo
Sunday 9th April 2006, 21:39
Boy are you in trouble now. hehehehe. :troutslap T5R Columba Moppy oh dear.

? Enlighten us! Sounds interesting!

Thanks for the info peeps, so basically if I stick a "diesel" badge on the back most people would be none the wiser. Pity I cant get a set of wheeltrims to cover the alloys or get some 16" rims. (Few pratts in Leeds could do with their day ruining by being left standing by a 1.8 diesel 850 :D added to the bonus that it becomes less appealing to the thieves)

nobananas
Sunday 9th April 2006, 21:40
I know what you mean. The amount of times I've waved at the same Met Grey 2 litre with T5 alloys and a spoiler thinking it's the missus doesn't bear thinking about ! I'm sure the bloke driving it thinks I'm a bit 'funny' !

Wobbly Dave
Monday 10th April 2006, 09:47
On 850s it is almost impossible to spot the difference between the 2.5 and the T5 - save the badge on the back (although this is no guarantee).

Majority of the time, when I look I am looking at the alloys.
C70s are impossible pretty much coz most will have canisto's and there is no badge as standard on the rear. Most V70 phase 1 and S70s will have perfo alloys.

Like Rich said - the most important T5s/Volvos will have the VPCUK.org sticker in the window!!

Turbo wise the 16T and the 19T are both mitsubishi units. Main difference is the size of the turbine and compressor wheels (reflected in the housings). 19T has a larger peak flow rate. more techie crap here...

http://www.stealth316.com/2-3s-compflowmaps.htm

Babybadger
Monday 10th April 2006, 12:41
Square Exhaust unless its been replaced by a later one. If you can see the dash it will have a turbo guage, all 850's have black (read grey if its old and not bee restored) inserts on door panels and bumpers. All V70's have colour coded.

Mine's an import and had 'turbo' on the back. Now it just says '850' so no one knows it s destructive acceleration!

neevo
Monday 10th April 2006, 19:13
Heh, I even understood some of that techie stuff Wobbly, ta.

hmm so I wasn't being paranoid when I kept seeing people report "I saw this T5 here" and wondering how they knew so easily. Must have been the T5 badge on the back!

Thanks for all the help and info, now just got to keep my eyes open for some cheap stuff to re-badge my T5 down!

Mrsmopp
Monday 10th April 2006, 19:17

Ermmm I think you will find we thought it was a T5!! :troutslap I woulod take a lot of convincing to beleive it was a T5R on columba's!!!

x

marshall_volvo
Monday 10th April 2006, 19:26
True That Was A Typo Error On My Behalf But Now I Have My Olive Green One And Our Master Tech Has His Olive Green 2.5 Auto Apart From He Has A R Bumper On The Front They Look Like Identical Twins Which Is Really Cool