PDA

View Full Version : t5 suspension - spring rates & damper adventures

tigger 3
Thursday 6th April 2006, 17:39
Hello another newbie to the fab world of T5's. I am getting a bit obsessed though.

I am going to lower the car but have got in a muddle, 2 routes available, as follows

1. Eibach springs & existing shocks (cannot afford new uprated shocks at present)

2. springs & shocks from a crashed 850 R (no damage to suspension, 115,000 miles well looked after and no weaping on the shocks) Rear is self levelling.

Help what shall I do? Any thoughts really appreciated. I have has some feed back already but no conclcusive thoughts nor info as to what the diffeence is between the R springs and Eibach? Or the difference between T5 shocks and R shocks

yours muddled

James

TangoDeltaSierra3
Thursday 6th April 2006, 18:01
If you want it for looks only you can get cheaper lowered springs than Eibach, it's down to preference and wallet size.

Redbrick
Thursday 6th April 2006, 18:18
Agree with TDS.

In my opinion my shocks & springs were fit for the bin at 100k. I wouldn't waste your time fitting option 2.

Fit some springs and save for some shocks or save the pennies and get a shock and spring kit in the future. Weitec kit is about £420.

jim.covers
Thursday 6th April 2006, 18:33
I only had approx 45,000 miles on when done & just went for the eibach's.

transformed the handling, i'm well happy with em.

BigJC
Thursday 6th April 2006, 18:59
R springs are 40mm lower and firmer, don't know if there's any difference damper wise.

I'm going down the R route only because they're cheaper than Eibach springs.

nobananas
Thursday 6th April 2006, 21:12
Shall hopefully be fitting Eibach springs and Bilstein shocks to mine this weekend. Shall be doing a 'how to' if your interested. Remember when looking at second hand shocks that most are gas filled now so there won't be any evidence of leakage.

LeeT5
Monday 10th April 2006, 02:43
R springs are 40mm lower and firmer, don't know if there's any difference damper wise.

I'm going down the R route only because they're cheaper than Eibach springs.

Really?!?! I thought 'R' springs were 25mm lower and shocks are slightly stiffer than T5.

Mrsmopp
Monday 10th April 2006, 08:20
Really?!?! I thought 'R' springs were 25mm lower and shocks are slightly stiffer than T5.

Me too??

x

wright_t5
Sunday 16th April 2006, 21:17
It's nice hearing of all this talk of lowering springs and shocks, and prices people pay for them, but what about saome websites and numbers so we can chase these leads..

Pretty please... I wanna do more with my T5....

done my first track day and I defo need springs and shocks and brakes...

http://www.rapidpants.com/images/gallery/motors/2006/mallory140406/index8.html

nobananas
Tuesday 18th April 2006, 22:55
Did mine. Eibach springs were an eBay special and the shocks were Bilstein Blue line which I think are just standard from Euro car parts. Fronts part no: 625661235 and were £135 a a pair and rears part no:625660335 at £69 a pair.
Nothin' fancy but the rides good, the handlings miles better than before and it wasn't too dear !