PDA

View Full Version : Lowering springs

darkstar
Thursday 6th April 2006, 08:08
What make of lowering springs should I go for to drop my c70. I want to get rid of the tyre/wheelarch gap but still need the car to be able to take 5 people and ride comfortably.

Who uses what?
And what drop on average have people gone for? :B_steerin

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 6th April 2006, 08:55
Last one I had (the black one) I used Eibach Lowering springs (from VT). Single finger gap. Rode very nicely. I also had the Monroe relex (dynamic shocks).

C70 is a 4 seater - so if you put someone in the middle - dont crash coz you may invalidate your insurance (check first) - plus there is nothing to stop the middle person coming between the front seats!!

darkstar
Thursday 6th April 2006, 09:01
cheers wobbly dave.

I had looked at the Eibach set up as I have seen a lot of these beng used on E36 BMW's with good results.

My one real stipulation is that none of the ride quality must be lost through running lower springs.

did you fit them yourself or did you have a garage do them?

and also do the c70's have any form of self levelling or is it just the 850/v70/s70?

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 6th April 2006, 09:10
Mine were supplied and fitted by VT. I put them on the 850R originally then swapped the lot onto the black one. Those springs/shocks are now on John's S70 Auto.

The great thing about the dampers is they are reactive - so they give great ride comfort when cruising but firm up once you start to work them. Not crashy in the least. By far the best fast road setup available IMHO.

darkstar
Thursday 6th April 2006, 11:04
partsforvolvos have a set of Eibach springs for £199.

Is this price good or bad? And will it ride ok on standard dampers?

c70mel
Thursday 6th April 2006, 11:20
Just got my C70 lowered 40mm (supposedly) with PI springs. The drop isn't as much as I was hoping for as like you I did it mainly to change the looks. You could squeeze a couple of afghanistan refugees in my arches before!

It is alot better and suppose ill live with it as I dont want to be forking out for a full suspension setup to get it any lower. The ride quality is alot better than I thought! You do notice the bumps alot more but it still is easily a nice comfortable ride which is nice :)

hope this helps

S70T5
Thursday 6th April 2006, 11:24
I lowered my S70 with Eibach springs, using the standard dampers. It made a big difference and the ride was still comfortable enough, but far firmer than before. I would recommend Eibach to anyone :)
The only thing I would say though, the drop wasn't as big as I had expected :frown:

Chris

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 6th April 2006, 11:29
I had single finger clearance between top of tyre and wheel arch

darkstar
Thursday 6th April 2006, 11:36
what size wheels were you running and how low was the drop quoted on the springs?

cheers wobbly dave!

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 6th April 2006, 11:36
BTW - to give you an idea of body roll - here's me doing a full on fast left corner at bruntingthorpe.

http://www.bigredvolvos.co.uk/images/Bruntingthorpe_Aug05/C70_first_run.jpg
http://www.bigredvolvos.co.uk/images/Bruntingthorpe_Aug05/C70_left_with_Judge.jpg
http://www.bigredvolvos.co.uk/images/Bruntingthorpe_Aug05/C70_with_rocky.jpg

Admittedly it is not a firm as it could be with racier shocks, but I still found it didnt understeer too much. Main issue was getting all 350 horses down in the corners!!

This is at or near the limits of the car as it was (including strut brace)

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 6th April 2006, 11:40
I cant quote a drop all I can tell you is how high it sat.

I was running 17" canistos with 225/45/R17 tyres

Just another thought - The track day thing is not what the C70 was designed for. It's a bit too heavy - in any case it's a fast sporty GT car designed to munch motorways! Also it was slightly handicapped by the big nut behind the steering wheel!

darkstar
Thursday 6th April 2006, 11:46
nice and flat through the corners!

ive just had a look at your c70 on this forum and it looked awesome - its exactly the stance and appearance I'd like mine to take on when I finally get hold of it.

(picking her up on saturday :B_steerin )

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 6th April 2006, 11:51
Just in case you missed them - here is "Felicity" when she was at her finest

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4608