PDA

View Full Version : RICA question.

Goof
Tuesday 15th March 2005, 23:20
VT state that they recommend Opti - but can the 304 upgrade still be run on 95 petrol when necessary? (i.e. low fuel, no Shell station for miles)
What are the penalties/risks?

Obligatory smilie:-
:worthless

glock19
Tuesday 15th March 2005, 23:49
Engine knocking or pinging at high boost levels ? But then the engine management would retard itself, right ?

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 16th March 2005, 01:30
True, I believe that the ECU will adjust. Knocking is a risk with lower RON fuels at high pressure, which is why the full on RICA is mapped for high RON fuel i.e. optimax. There are alternative 97 RON fuels at Esso and BP

MattV70
Wednesday 16th March 2005, 09:45
Hello all

I'm new to the T5 scene as I only picked my car up last weekend. Just a quick question, what is knocking? Mine doesn't feel like its running at it's best, but i took it due to having been run on std unleaded and not optimax.

:sick:

volvotuning
Wednesday 16th March 2005, 09:54
Knocking or pinking is the term used for the noise produced when the fuel mixture is in detonation, ie the fuel explodes violently rather like a bomb in the cylinder, instead of burning smoothly like it should. There is a whole load of technical info about this on the net, about the flame fronts etc.

Adam.

Bracer
Wednesday 16th March 2005, 09:58
Hello all

I'm new to the T5 scene as I only picked my car up last weekend. Just a quick question, what is knocking? Mine doesn't feel like its running at it's best, but i took it due to having been run on std unleaded and not optimax.

Knocking / Detonation / Pre-ignition / Pinking

Detonation
Detonation is the spontaneous combustion of the end-gas (remaining fuel/air mixture) in the chamber. It always occurs after normal combustion is initiated by the spark plug. The initial combustion at the spark plug is followed by a normal combustion burn. For some reason, likely heat and pressure, the end gas in the chamber spontaneously combusts. The key point here is that detonation occurs after you have initiated the normal combustion with the spark plug.

Pre-ignition
Pre-ignition is defined as the ignition of the mixture prior to the spark plug firing. Anytime something causes the mixture in the chamber to ignite prior to the spark plug event it is classified as pre-ignition. The two are completely different and abnormal phenomenon.

Bracer
Wednesday 16th March 2005, 10:11
Hello all

There is more Here (http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=926) too

Steve

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 16th March 2005, 10:17
Hello all

Just wanted to say Hi and :welcome:

Knocking or detonation as bracer explains will only happen at high pressure/temp. I suggest you go through stage 0 tuning before pronoucing on the car. I think you will find that by changing a few of the service disposables (plugs and filters etc) that the car will run a lot better.

Goof
Wednesday 16th March 2005, 12:43
So a 304 RICAd will run o.k. ish on normal 95 u/l? (not supermarket ££££).
Obviously I'd run on best avail, but when desperate there's not always the choice!

Bracer
Wednesday 16th March 2005, 12:49
So a 304 RICAd will run o.k. ish on normal 95 u/l? (not supermarket ££££).
Obviously I'd run on best avail, but when desperate there's not always the choice!

The problem is the ECU will pull timing quickly and in big chunks when det / knock is detected due to low octane fuel being used. But going the other way i.e. advancing the timing forward after top octane fuel is used takes miles, so if you plan to be a little slack with the use of fuel I would sujest you get the 280 option.

Steve

MattV70
Wednesday 16th March 2005, 12:57
Thanks everone for all the info.

I'll probably get a volvo mechanic friend to give it the once over as it's an ex lease car so i doubt that it will have been lavished with the best quality service parts.

Would simply changing to optimax do anything to help the engine, or would you recomend an engine cleaning additive to be added, then try to run it on optimax only?

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 16th March 2005, 13:01
Optimax will help clean your engine and as the saying goes "you got to put the best in to get the best out" (ok so its not an actual saying but it works for me!)

x

Goof
Wednesday 16th March 2005, 19:15
On an un-RICAd engine I can almost "feel" whether Opti is in the tank opposed to std 95.
Think I'll go for the 304 map soon.

Mrsmopp
Thursday 17th March 2005, 08:41
On an un-RICAd engine I can almost "feel" whether Opti is in the tank opposed to std 95.
Think I'll go for the 304 map soon.

LOL!! I didn't think it'd be long!! Mrs Goof finally agreed?? :bullwhip:

x

Goof
Thursday 17th March 2005, 13:09
Mrs Goof knows nothing about it! - I even have to be careful reading the RICA posts!!!
Just trying to plot a day off work to get it done... ~ a day off costs a days pay, so I'm plotting around Bank Holidays, hopefully!
Could do with a service, 2 new tyres, new exhaust for Mrs Goofs MPV first tho...

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 17th March 2005, 13:31
You could always give her the "My ECU is broken and needs fixing" story? :rice:

glock19
Thursday 17th March 2005, 23:27
For my missus, I think she'll prefer me to spend on the car than on booze & other "unhealthy" activites. BTW, she only got to know about it yesterday when I brought the RICA'd ECU back :D :D :D