PDA

View Full Version : Poly top engine mount.

darkstar
Wednesday 5th April 2006, 08:46
Just been on the partsforvolvo's website to order the top engine mount bush (poly bush of course) but have found that they only list a bush for C70's up 1998?

Whats the story here - did volvo change the bush material on the later C70's negating the need for a chnage to something stronger?

anyone shed any light?

siamblue
Wednesday 5th April 2006, 09:16
Hi On the later Me7 engines they used a different housing for the bush, the colour of the bush you need is Yellow,
Purple poly bushes were for the >98 cars. depending on engine.

Gary.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 5th April 2006, 09:21
Please be aware that you will get increased cabin noise with poly bushes - which may or may not be desirable

darkstar
Wednesday 5th April 2006, 09:29
I thought that the bushes in the top mount had an inherent weakness and were prone to allowing excess engine movement on acceleration/de-celeration.

I thought replacing the standard rubber type bush with a polyurethane one reduced movement and lasted longer?

Am i to assume the ME7 lump does not need this bush replacing with an uprated one?Or if it does then can anyone suggest a supplier?

thanks

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 5th April 2006, 09:36
I am not saying that at all. If the rubber top mount splits you should replace it. I ran my 340Bhp ME7 engine quite successfully with a standard top mount. I am just making you aware that you will get more vibration/cabin noise (which some peeps actually like) with the poly bushes.
I prefer my C70s to be a proper tuned GT car - quiet but powerful - and only noisy when I gun it.

darkstar
Wednesday 5th April 2006, 10:35
So to re-cap:

Yes you can get a poly top mount for a 2000 c70 t5.
It increases cabin noise.
It doesn't necessarily offer any benefit, longevity wise, over a standard bush.

If anyone on here is running one and has the details of a supplier it would be greatly appreciated.

Vikingxl
Wednesday 5th April 2006, 10:56
Have you tried Vt

darkstar
Wednesday 5th April 2006, 11:06
not meaning to sound stoopid but whats vt?

I only joined yesterday so I'm not fully up to speed on the whole volvo thing?

Vikingxl
Wednesday 5th April 2006, 11:11
Volvo Tuning in Bromsgrove sorry mate
http://www.volvotuninguk.com/

darkstar
Wednesday 5th April 2006, 11:22
cheers Viking T5!

I see they are the guys who carry out the Rica work. I am thinking I could arrange it so that they service the car and then re-map it, and have a poly bush fitted too!

I am assuming they service as well as tune?

what would I be looking at ££'s wise for a service (mileage is at 71k)

pault5
Wednesday 5th April 2006, 12:08
Hi,
I took off the top polybush and replaced it with a standard one, I also replaced the bush on the baulkhead. The baulkhead one is much more substantial than the old one, the rubber is twice the size.
The cabin is so much quieter than with the polybush.
Bear that in mind before you fit a polybush.

Vikingxl
Wednesday 5th April 2006, 12:31
Give them a ring for prices mate but i have found thenm to be very reasonable

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 6th April 2006, 09:45
cheers Viking T5!

I see they are the guys who carry out the Rica work. I am thinking I could arrange it so that they service the car and then re-map it, and have a poly bush fitted too!

I am assuming they service as well as tune?

what would I be looking at ££'s wise for a service (mileage is at 71k)
If you do come down I might be pursuaded to take you out for a pint?

darkstar
Thursday 6th April 2006, 10:16
What a thoroughly generous chap.

I would be 'coming up' rather than 'coming down' (being in essex you see!)

I called them yesterday and they seemed an extremely friendly and helpful bunch. But I may end up getting the car serviced locally and then taking the pilgrimage up to VT for just the Rica map.

The trouble is that i am starting a new job in the next two weeks and I don't wanna go straight in asking for days off (the re-mapping can only be done monday to friday! :-( ). It may create the wrong impression!

I'll definately have that pint tho Dave :nut:

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 6th April 2006, 10:20
Defo dont prejudice your new employer. No good having a car you cant pay for.

darkstar
Thursday 6th April 2006, 10:35
Exactly.

I did ask if they were open May Bank holiday - but no :grumpy:

I'll have to be patient and get on with the bits and pieces I can do myself and when Ive got a spare day have a run up to VT.

oh well :-)

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 6th April 2006, 10:45
it will be worth the wait.

Stuart B
Monday 15th May 2006, 19:01
where can I get the yellow type ones for my 94 850? I have been sent a purple one by partsforvolvosonline.

Cheers

Stu

blackbooty
Tuesday 16th May 2006, 00:21
where can I get the yellow type ones for my 94 850? I have been sent a purple one by partsforvolvosonline.

Cheers

Stu

purple is right mate, yellow is 99> i believe siamblue said.

Stuart B
Tuesday 16th May 2006, 06:59
purple is right mate, yellow is 99> i believe siamblue said.

Bugger hehe. In that case, is the one nearer the engine supposed to be so hard to get in?

Stu

SaffronC70
Tuesday 16th May 2006, 07:34
Darkstar,

I got one on my C70 (see my site) and if you are handy with spanners it was a breeze to fit on our cars (well, it was on my car).

It helps gearbox movement a lot in my case (I did have a brand new Volvo mount fitted prior for about 3 months) better gear changed at high revs and less knocking about on overrun.

Cabin noise is increased at idle and WOT, but no where near as prominent as in the 850s.

My car is quiet on the cruise, but as Wobbly has said, sounds pretty good when gunning it.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 16th May 2006, 08:22
I am now running the new updated OEM cruciform top mount which is far sturdier than it's predecessor and is nice and quiet.