PDA

View Full Version : ATF Fluid...

M44K TS
Wednesday 5th April 2006, 02:26
Can A/T fluid get too hot that it will effectively stop working?

Reason for asking is, i towed my brothers 44o to a local garage, lots of uphil stops and starts, resulting in the engine running hot. Next day i took a steady 10 mile drive at motorway speeds, parked up to use my phone for about 5 mins, went to pull away again, and it seemed like the brakes were binding on and a whiring noise from the trans.

Left the car parked up for an hour or so, jumpped back in, everything seemed fine again. Drove 5 mile or so down the road, the gearbox started whiring again.

Pulled over, checked the 'box fluid level, slightly over max. on the dipstick, left it for 5 and it seemed ok again.

Another 10 miles to home and everything seemed ok, sat talking to a mate in my street for 10 with the engine running, fan keep on cutting in as normal. Went to pull away, very reluctant in 'D'
Drove the 50 yds to my front door where i pulled on the driveway and went to select reverse and nothing, the gearbox didn't even engage. Thoght it could be an ecu fault so disconnected the battery for 1 mins and tried ah=gain, nothing.
Left it half an hour and everything has been fine since.

Could it be that the ATF was too hot to work as normal or could it have been a gearbox ecu fault?

Nor relly that concerned as it has been fine since Sunday and it's hopefully going soon.

Would be nice to have a general idea of what happened.

Babybadger
Wednesday 5th April 2006, 09:51
Can A/T fluid get too hot that it will effectively stop working?

Reason for asking is, i towed my brothers 44o to a local garage, lots of uphil stops and starts, resulting in the engine running hot. Next day i took a steady 10 mile drive at motorway speeds, parked up to use my phone for about 5 mins, went to pull away again, and it seemed like the brakes were binding on and a whiring noise from the trans.

Left the car parked up for an hour or so, jumpped back in, everything seemed fine again. Drove 5 mile or so down the road, the gearbox started whiring again.

Pulled over, checked the 'box fluid level, slightly over max. on the dipstick, left it for 5 and it seemed ok again.

Another 10 miles to home and everything seemed ok, sat talking to a mate in my street for 10 with the engine running, fan keep on cutting in as normal. Went to pull away, very reluctant in 'D'
Drove the 50 yds to my front door where i pulled on the driveway and went to select reverse and nothing, the gearbox didn't even engage. Thoght it could be an ecu fault so disconnected the battery for 1 mins and tried ah=gain, nothing.
Left it half an hour and everything has been fine since.

Could it be that the ATF was too hot to work as normal or could it have been a gearbox ecu fault?

Nor relly that concerned as it has been fine since Sunday and it's hopefully going soon.

Would be nice to have a general idea of what happened.

Check the ATF fluid by smelling the dipstick, it should smell sweet and look red in colour, if its going brownishand smells burnt, then have it flushed as soon as.

Had mine done a while ago, and it pulls beautifully now, makes a world of difference.

Check this thread out http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8532&page=1&pp=10&highlight=auto

Put the forte treatment in and run it for 4-5 days before you have it flushed!

M44K TS
Wednesday 5th April 2006, 12:37
it is quite brown, i'll get it changed asap.

Thanks for the info :B_steerin

Babybadger
Thursday 6th April 2006, 10:44
it is quite brown, i'll get it changed asap.

Thanks for the info :B_steerin

Make sure you check this thread first

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8532&page=1&pp=10&highlight=auto

I should have done this before I changed my ATF, but I may add it and flush it through at later stage.