PDA

View Full Version : I have converted my T5 to run on LPG

starnetman2001
Tuesday 5th October 2004, 14:36
Cost me around £920

Reasonably easy to do and best of all I get to program my injector map.

Fuel costs are less than half price...-- T5 is cheaper to run than a diesel :)

If you wantmore details, mail me.

David.

lance
Tuesday 5th October 2004, 14:59
:thewave:
Sounds a good idea but I had a bad expierience on a merc 220 16v,worked well for 15-20k then had to replace vaporizer had excesive back fireing causing air flow meter to brake and poor petrol running stalling/hunting in an
auto , and possible knackering of inlet valves, i got sorted best I could then got rid and into a volvo asap.
Have heard volvos were good for lpg but Ive heard turbos cost about £2k to convert with 5 seperate injectors and after my previous experience I have been put off.
I Wish you better luck than I had , would love to see your conversion.
:welcome:

starnetman2001
Tuesday 5th October 2004, 17:07
Just in case...

Took me around 2 days. Once I mounted the tank and winced at drilling a large hole in the bumper. I didn't really want to put the filler pipe through the cabin or I would have mounted it behind the existing filler. The pipe to the front followed the petrol until it got to the bottom of the engine bay where I fitted the heat exchanger. Getting water into the heat exchanger was a bit of a job but I tapped into a very short pipe before the thermostat. This has the advantage of heating the lpg up before the radiator.
Drilling the manifold was a bit heart wrenching as it is quite thin but that went ok and I then fitted the injectors.
Electrics were reasonable and after I connected the laptop and got updated software from the supplier all went really well and easy.
In short, top idea. Contact 01702 617117 and ask for David. Tell him I told you.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 6th October 2004, 01:20
I pray that you will prove my initial fears wrong. Nice as it is to have the lowere fuel bills I have no desire to cook my engine.

madness
Monday 18th October 2004, 17:07
one problem i have heard is that running on lpg requires more boost as part of the programme and this keeps blowing hoses. the local"expert" here fits silicon hoses with his conversions but they keep comming in here whith running problems .