PDA

View Full Version : i cant get the horn......

theravedaddy
Tuesday 4th April 2006, 00:24
to work! since ive had this 850 ive noticed that people tend to get in the way more (must be a burgundy thing?) and im getting a bit bored with spanking the airbag without any sound-any ideas please?

neevo
Tuesday 4th April 2006, 00:33
hmmm..same car, same colour, same problem with people (mostly students?!?), same fault! Kinda hope someone can help us, if not I'm thinking I may have to goto www.hornblasters.com and wire in a punch button to one of their offerings.

Streetfire have a vid of one in action, may wake a few student twits from their slumbers on the streets :)

iGGy
Tuesday 4th April 2006, 08:14
Are the horns actually connected by the grill? It's common for a plastic bush to fail in the steering wheel and cause the horn to sound continuously. Disconnecting the horns will obviously stop the sound, but not fix the problem.

neevo
Tuesday 4th April 2006, 10:17
In my case the horns work as I can set off the personal attack alarm and the horns sound off but I wonder if there's a relay somewhere as the fuse is ok as other stuff connected to the fuse works (int. lights if I remember correctly).
Unless the alarm has a different connector to the horns!

chriskay
Tuesday 4th April 2006, 10:56
In my experience, the most likely cause is a faulty contact in the steering wheel. My Volvo dealer fixed mine in about 15 minutes, said it's quite common.

Waxworks
Tuesday 4th April 2006, 11:07
In my case the horns work as I can set off the personal attack alarm and the horns sound off but I wonder if there's a relay somewhere as the fuse is ok as other stuff connected to the fuse works (int. lights if I remember correctly).
Unless the alarm has a different connector to the horns!

I belive that there is a seperate horn that is used for the personal attack function.

MattB
Tuesday 4th April 2006, 12:38
I belive that there is a seperate horn that is used for the personal attack function.
Thats right - the same one that the alarm uses. Its situated in the centre of the engine bay, just under the windscreen :) .

Probably best to check connections to horns by the front grille, then fuse (can't remember which number) before looking into steering wheel connectors.

pikeajm
Tuesday 4th April 2006, 17:27
lol not like my 940 did used to go round right hand bends some tight or some open and the horn used to go off every so often by its self i swear that car was posessed

neevo
Tuesday 4th April 2006, 22:53
Thats right - the same one that the alarm uses. Its situated in the centre of the engine bay, just under the windscreen :) .

Probably best to check connections to horns by the front grille, then fuse (can't remember which number) before looking into steering wheel connectors.

Thought it might be a bit of a task checking the connectors, then I lifted the bonnet... :)

Nope one connector seemed a bit loose but forcing them seated didnt fix it, thanks for the suggestion.

Just my luck that the alarm has a differnet horn, but I'm glad in a way as it seemed a bit feeble for making yourself heard if it was the same one. Cheers waxworks.

Will try my local volvo indie after easter for the wheel.

M44K TS
Wednesday 5th April 2006, 02:07
my dad's old 850 estate's horn stopped working, i did something to get it to work again, for the life of me can't remember how i solved it, would be handy saying as my horn works on a button on the A pillar

Vikingxl
Wednesday 5th April 2006, 04:38
In my experience, the most likely cause is a faulty contact in the steering wheel. My Volvo dealer fixed mine in about 15 minutes, said it's quite common.
I would try this solution next :B_steerin

theravedaddy
Wednesday 5th April 2006, 19:18
.........the suns out now so i can hurl abuse through the sunroof.....ill look at the horns later.

M44K TS
Wednesday 5th April 2006, 22:09

how much did they charge if you don't mind me asking?

Matt30462
Wednesday 5th April 2006, 22:16
Never heard my horn, I press it and I know it works, but Olive travells so fast, by the time the noise goes off, I'm 1/2 mile further on down the road. The kids in our road sell tickets to tourists so they can hear the sonic boom.

chriskay
Wednesday 5th April 2006, 22:37
how much did they charge if you don't mind me asking?
Well, they actually did it free, but I have been using them for 40 years. Shouldn't cost more than 1/2 hour though.