PDA

View Full Version : Additional Engine Oil Cooler - good or bad idea?

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 15th March 2005, 10:22
I have talked at great length to Hamish about this. Everyone knows that the most wear occurs when engine oil is cold - i.e. first start in the morning.

I am concerned that by developing an additional cooler this will prolong this period and rather than protecting, will actually cause more damage, particularly if you do short runs.

On the flipside if you plan to run the car on track days often then it is likely to be a good idea.

I think and I concur with Hamish on this that the use and regular change of quality oils will prevent high temp degradation, which is the purpose of the cooler to start with.

Pedro Fandango
Tuesday 15th March 2005, 15:31
i had to replace my rad because the standard oil cooler failed but that was more to wear & tear than because it couldn't cope, plenty of 850's last thousands of miles using the standard one so why mess (& you'll only end up blocking air to the IC)

Bracer
Tuesday 15th March 2005, 15:44
i had to replace my rad because the standard oil cooler failed but that was more to wear & tear than because it couldn't cope, plenty of 850's last thousands of miles using the standard one so why mess (& you'll only end up blocking air to the IC)

I think the positioning of the additional cooler would be best situated behind the drivers side lower air intake :)

glock19
Wednesday 16th March 2005, 00:28
I think the positioning of the additional cooler would be best situated behind the drivers side lower air intake :)

I concur. A few of my local guys here has done it for the ATF. As for the additional cooler for the engine oil, can you not have a valve to bypass it for non-track/hard use ? It could be temp controlled.