PDA

View Full Version : Losing oil - 850 glt

Colinjwhite
Sunday 2nd April 2006, 19:44
Losing oil wholesale, appears to be from the filler cap, no mayo at the top but some around the filler, and a hissing sound from somewhere around the engine bay, I'm suspecting head gasket - any helpful ideas out there

splatt
Sunday 2nd April 2006, 19:50
:wave23d:welcome to VPCUK.

Any other symptoms? Loss of power/smokey zorst/oil in water?

hissing sound eh? try localise it.

Colinjwhite
Sunday 2nd April 2006, 20:19
engine runs fine, lots of smoke, but mostly seems to be oil burning from manifold although there is some black around the exhaust, and the hissing, while not sure where from - stops when oil cap is loosened

No obvious oil in expansion tank, should I be looking somewhere else? Just lots of oil on top of the engine.

Thanks for the welcome by the way, and thanks for your time.

Engineer
Sunday 2nd April 2006, 20:31
Sounds like your engine breathers blocked or the hoses surprised the pressure ain't blown the crank main oil seal. It's hissing from somewhere though so don't drive it until you determine the faulty component/s.

Colinjwhite
Sunday 2nd April 2006, 20:41
Embarassed to say, I have no idea where to find the engine breather, or which hoses may be blocked, and can't see a reference to either in my manual, would you be able to point me in the right direction.

Engineer
Sunday 2nd April 2006, 20:45
Embarassed to say, I have no idea where to find the engine breather, or which hoses may be blocked, and can't see a reference to either in my manual, would you be able to point me in the right direction.
Check out General Technical Help / Problems if you can't find anything I will post or send you some pics if you pm me (and I can find em). Good luck.