PDA

View Full Version : Drilled Air Box ?

steveT5
Monday 14th March 2005, 23:55
Evening all, I occasionally hear about drilled air boxes. Could anyone tell me what is this mod ? How is it done ? What are the benifits ? Is it worth doing ?
Thanks.

glock19
Tuesday 15th March 2005, 00:26
Personally, I would not do it because the heat from the engine bay would be higher than the air intake area before the radiator. I live in a hot and humid climate all year round, so in a colder one, maybe there's some advantage. Air flow and suction noise might be higher though.

Bracer
Tuesday 15th March 2005, 09:11
Some people Drill holes in the lower half of the air box to make more of a induction roar, and allow the CBV to be heard when lifting off the throttle :B_blite:

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 15th March 2005, 09:47
Like mine!!! My airbox has been drilled and whether it makes any difference to the performance or not I couldn't tell you BUT being able to hear my turbo whistle like a boiled kettle and the different tones of my engine at various points of boost means, that for me, it was a well worthwhile mod!! :B_thumb: :ready2go:

x

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 15th March 2005, 10:27
Surely glock the intake from the front is not radically different from the air coming over the back of the gearbox?

Anyway there was a substantial improvement in performance with the drilling of the airbox in mine. I did the mod 2 weeks back and particularly at the top end I found that the car is able to pick up speed. I am looking to source som pipe work to improve the cold air feed to the general area.

I also enjoy the noise from the CBV (does this make me a chav?)

SaffronC70
Tuesday 15th March 2005, 17:15
I've got a swis cheese airbox with KN panel sitting in the garden if you want to give it a try ?!

glock19
Wednesday 16th March 2005, 00:26
Surely glock the intake from the front is not radically different from the air coming over the back of the gearbox?

Anyway there was a substantial improvement in performance with the drilling of the airbox in mine. I did the mod 2 weeks back and particularly at the top end I found that the car is able to pick up speed. I am looking to source som pipe work to improve the cold air feed to the general area.

I also enjoy the noise from the CBV (does this make me a chav?)

Dave,
Is the air not hotter over the gearbox since part of it came through the fan after the radiator/intercooler/condensor coil (air-cond) ? With the airbox drilled, do you still retain the plastic ducting from the front ? Cool air can be directed by removing the left headlamp though :D

To the rest,
Are you still using the standard Recirculating Valve or aftermarket BOV for the 'music' to be more apparent ?

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 16th March 2005, 11:09
Standard recirc Giles!! I am blessed with a car that likes to make its presence known so no need to buy a BOV!!

x

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 16th March 2005, 11:12
Dave,
Is the air not hotter over the gearbox since part of it came through the fan after the radiator/intercooler/condensor coil (air-cond) ? With the airbox drilled, do you still retain the plastic ducting from the front ? Cool air can be directed by removing the left headlamp though :D

Air will peal around the bottom and back of the gearbox as well as from the front.

Justin
Wednesday 16th March 2005, 12:12
The principal is this.....and i sell it on ebay and have for 2 years, i also have done several conditioned tests to which at least 2 people will verify if needed.

When travelling air is forced under the car, some gets fed up behind the turbo and some travels up from behind the gearbox and is sent directly to the bottom of the airbox, trust me, it does. So by drilling holes in the bottom you get ambient air into the bottom of the box, when stationary you will have warmer air from the engine bay, but you dont need cold air when your standing still anyway.

We carried out 2 tests, same car, same day, within 1 hour of each other, uphill climb on an open road in 5th gear, the car took well over a second less to pull from 70mph-110mph with the drilled box. (it was almost 2 secs)

Then on my car the same was done, it was 2 seconds quicker from 70mph-110mph, this i think is due to the flow rate being supplied to the engine, thus producing more power after taking its many readings from sensors, one being the MAF. My car at the time was an 855 T5, the other was an ex police S70 T5.

Also have a guy on this forum that uses a g-meter and the meter claimed he gained 17 bhp, same road, same car, same day within 1 hour, just by making holes in the box.

If you don't think it works, have doubts, are a skeptic etc, don't do it, i really don't care, but i know it does, and no one yet has proved me wrong.

Just my take on my mods ;)

adesou
Wednesday 16th March 2005, 14:44
So wot size holes are we talking about and how many?

Justin
Wednesday 16th March 2005, 14:53
On the 2 tested cars we drilled 30 holes on the bottom using a 10mm bit :)

lance
Wednesday 16th March 2005, 15:05
Another job I will get round to doing when I finish the babys room!
Does the mod increase boost conciderably too?

glock19
Wednesday 16th March 2005, 15:46
On the 2 tested cars we drilled 30 holes on the bottom using a 10mm bit :)

Okay Justin, I'm sold. BTW what is the limit of the number of holes on the box, not breaking apart when we pull out the box when accessing the gearbox ? 30 here is 6 horizontal and 5 vertical (standing in front of the car), right ? How far apart will the holes be ? I think you try not to hit any ribs, right ?

Giles
Wednesday 16th March 2005, 18:01
Okay Justin, I'm sold. BTW what is the limit of the number of holes on the box, not breaking apart when we pull out the box when accessing the gearbox ? 30 here is 6 horizontal and 5 vertical (standing in front of the car), right ? How far apart will the holes be ? I think you try not to hit any ribs, right ?

i could be wrong, but do not think it matters - as long as you don't 'overdo' it - did mine last night. 10mm drill and as many as i could get in, leaving approx. 5-8mm between the holes. I too noticed pick-up from higher revs :eye-poppi great!

Justin
Wednesday 16th March 2005, 20:35
Lance it will not increase the boost at all....:rolleyes:

There is no limit to the amount of holes, just go for it, leave at least 5mm though between them to keep the structure, we hit a few ribs, but it wont matter, just make sure you clean out all of the debris after and smooth the edges off with a file. :)

SaffronC70
Wednesday 16th March 2005, 21:15
I'm sure you know, but only drill the bottom half of the airbox !

glock19
Thursday 17th March 2005, 00:31
I'm sure you know, but only drill the bottom half of the airbox !

Yup, thanks.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 17th March 2005, 01:14
I used a 13mm wood drill bit - makes a nice hole which fits nicely into the squares formed by the latice in the bottom of the box.

Lance I can pop over and do yours sometime if you like?

steveT5
Thursday 17th March 2005, 10:21
Seems like quite a debate i've stirred up ! Thanks for the offer of your air box to try Saffron, But i think with such a posotive response, i will go down the shed and get my drill out !!!
Thanks to all for the info !

lance
Thursday 17th March 2005, 11:14
I used a 13mm wood drill bit - makes a nice hole which fits nicely into the squares formed by the latice in the bottom of the box.

Lance I can pop over and do yours sometime if you like?

Cheers mate , Ive booked Miss Whiplash for a good seeing too with David Pengelly on Good friday (next week), what you up to then mate?

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 17th March 2005, 11:29
I am off to Pompeii to spend time with my Brother and his kids (doing the "Uncle Dave" bit), so alas I am not available. I can bob over this weekend if you are not busy?

lance
Thursday 17th March 2005, 11:42
Im away unfortunatly from fridayevening till sunday afternoon!
Can give you a bell sunday for a wee mini meet if you are up for it!

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 17th March 2005, 11:43
Best bet is if I give you the bottom half of my box and then take yours away and do it at my own leisure? More time for beer in that way. :beer:

lance
Thursday 17th March 2005, 13:22
Sounds like a good plan mate , Im going to be about 3hrs from Notts down South , I will give you a buzz when Im an hour away!

Goof
Thursday 17th March 2005, 14:12
Seems like we could do with a floating spare one - receive un-drilled one, drill it, post your old un-drilled one to the next chappy/chappess.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 17th March 2005, 14:30
I fink I should just bring my drill and stuff and do it there and then? Bish, bash, bosh :ready2go: - job done

lance
Thursday 17th March 2005, 14:39
Sorted :worship:

Justin
Thursday 17th March 2005, 16:38
You will need to as lances airbox is different on the V70 mate :(

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 17th March 2005, 16:48
Of course I knew that :hidesbehi

Ian C70T5
Monday 21st March 2005, 15:48
I dont mean to sound thick as i've not actually ever taken my filter out..

1) I am assuming the feed pipe to inlet from the airbox is at the top of the box therefore any holes in bottom still forces air through the filter..

2) Do you drill from the inside of the box or from the outside?

3) Are the holes best from the bottom or the bottom side/front of the box?

lance
Monday 21st March 2005, 15:51
Thanks to Dave 850R for coming and sorting it for me, quite noticable increase in nippiness + nice shhh noise. Cheers Bud!

lance
Monday 21st March 2005, 15:53
I dont mean to sound thick as i've not actually ever taken my filter out..

1) I am assuming the feed pipe to inlet from the airbox is at the top of the box therefore any holes in bottom still forces air through the filter..

2) Do you drill from the inside of the box or from the outside?

3) Are the holes best from the bottom or the bottom side/front of the box?

Dave drilled mine from inside and out in the base , no point drilling through the sides though.

Ian C70T5
Monday 21st March 2005, 15:53
I fancy this, anyone know best and easiest way to do it??

Lance, you actually notice a difference.. that cant be bad mate..

(Have you replaced you turbo yet?)

Wobbly Dave
Monday 21st March 2005, 16:01
I did Lance's box (oo-er) last night. I used a 13mm wood bit (it is flat paddle shaped bit with a pointy bit in the middle) - it makes a hole that fits nicely into each space in the lattice you see in the bottom of the box. I made about 16 holes in all - all in the bottom. Some are easier to drill from the inside and some from the outside depending on the shape of the bit you're drilling.

Air is not force in - it is drawn in by the engine. Are you using an ITG panel filter? if not then you need to change the paper filter regularly, as they become blocked rapidly.

I would also like to say a big thanks to Lance's other half for Roast Beef, Yorkshire's and all the trimmings (it was worth the journey just for that!!)

We had extra fun beating up on the chav's in the cruise Notts clan. However there was a V70 P2 on patrol and there were casualties.

Ian C70T5
Monday 21st March 2005, 16:10
Yeah i have a ITG panel mate.. i might have a look tonight.. cheers dave

Wobbly Dave
Monday 21st March 2005, 16:26
You need to remove the inlet pipe.
Unclip the 6 or so retainers around the edge of the box.
Lift the lid and remove the panel filter.
Unclip the BCS (the thing with the vacuum pipes going into it)
There are a pair of clips or tulips as I call them that point upwards at the bottom corners of the bottom half. Squeeze these inwards to release the bottom half on each side.
then slide the box out of the rubber bush on the inside edge of the engine bay.
In the immortal words of Haynes "Refitting is the reverse of removal".

However, Make sure that when you refit that you ensure that the vac pipe from the BCS to the bottom of the MAF housing is reconnected as it often comes off when raising the airbox lid.

lance
Monday 21st March 2005, 16:53
I fancy this, anyone know best and easiest way to do it??

Lance, you actually notice a difference.. that cant be bad mate..

(Have you replaced you turbo yet?)

Yes slightly nippier, havent replaced the turbo yet. shes still pulling nicely at 150, spikes at 1.2 bar in second and holds about o.95- 1 bar of boost the rest of the time.
Will replace the turbo when shes down to less than 0.9 or I have some spare cash!

pyrotechnictigger
Monday 21st March 2005, 17:03
I pulled the front off the airbox on my old Mk1 and 2 UNOs. replaced the airfilters with pieces of packing foam that I cut down to being as thin as possible and it made a real difference. Sounded better and went better. That was untill the weather started to get colder and the carb iced up after about 20 miles. great in summer though :rally_dri

SaffronC70
Monday 21st March 2005, 18:28
Hey, if you have ME7 I recommend a trial with my drilled box, as in traffic it'll cut boost way back due to high intake temps.

I might attend the Avon park meet so could bring it then ?

Whitey

Ian C70T5
Tuesday 22nd March 2005, 09:00
Mines not ME7

phil
Tuesday 22nd March 2005, 17:06
Mines a 99 T5 with a ITG panel filter but still tempted

What about a large hole in bottom, say 2 ins diameter, which connects to a large diameter pipe which can be led down to the bottom of the engine bay, and maybe pointed forward to allow a ram air effect, making a positive pressure in the air box and through the filter, (but would this completely ££££ up the fueling, ie run weak or completely throw the maf sensor into a fit?)

Also pipe may heat up in engine bay and have a warming effect on the air passing though it?

Also a plastic slide valve could be added at air box to allow the new pipe to be shut in warm weather, may this could be operated from the cabin by a wire like on bicycle brakes??

We used to use a similar arrangement on my old racing karts when using wet weather air boxes, when we needed to choke the engine had a slider that could be operated from the wheel.

I think first thing to try is holes nad get ready to but new air box!

wellsy
Tuesday 22nd March 2005, 17:18
is there any chance somone could take a pic of their drilled airbox to see exactly where to drill and what the finshed item should look like
also is there any difference between a k/n filter or a itg which is the better one to go for or are they pretty much similar.
thanks wellsy.:sheep:

chriskay
Tuesday 22nd March 2005, 18:04
Filter: ITG every time. Recommended by Volvotuning & they know their stuff. Question; is it possible to drill the bottom of the air box in situ, or is there a risk of damaging something underneath?
Cheers, Chris.

SaffronC70
Tuesday 22nd March 2005, 18:10
There's a wiring loom that runs underneath . . .

:) try it and see ! (joke)

SaffronC70
Tuesday 22nd March 2005, 18:16
Couple of quick phone pics :

http://chriswhiteuk.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ab1.jpg
http://chriswhiteuk.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ab2.jpg

Chris

wellsy
Tuesday 22nd March 2005, 18:40
thanks for the replys guys i think i shall be taking my airbox off and giving it a good drilling this weekend

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 23rd March 2005, 00:51
That box has been blessed by the Pope. After all it is very holy. :bricks:

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 23rd March 2005, 00:52
Having said that I restricted my drilling to the bottom of the box and I used a 19mm bit rather than what I said earlier

Andrew
Wednesday 23rd March 2005, 10:12
So do you folks genuinly think this has made a difference?

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 23rd March 2005, 10:27
So do you folks genuinly think this has made a difference?

Yup!!! Definately!

x

pyrotechnictigger
Wednesday 23rd March 2005, 10:35
Did mine yesterday. Box is easy to get out. Set about it with cordless drill and a 10mm bit. only did the bottom of the box (not the sides) and put about 30 holes in it. No difference at lower speeds, but a noticable improvement at high speed. Faster pickup and a bit more umpf. Will take a bigger bit to the box walls when I get chance, ie never :)

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 23rd March 2005, 10:47
Got myself some flexible pipe to feed cold air directly from the small near side grill into that area, for the princely some of £6. :B_steerin

Andrew - as I am coming to see you soon - I can do that little job too?

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 24th March 2005, 01:41
Cold feed pipe is fitted. I have to say there was a marked improvement on pick up. I designed it so the cold air hits the bottom back edge of the battery tray spilling cold air around the general vacinity.

DaveS70R and myself went for a jolly around the highways and byways of Birmingham Village. I think he was impressed? Though I think more impressed with the Black S60R parked out the back of Beckland Volvo (the big dealership in Brum).

Getting geared up for the Avon Park now. Sparkies changed. Bought some Moly Slip to go into the imminent oil change. I have also cured the squeak on my back brakes - but that's another story. Top jollies!

BTW how foolish will I look if it all goes to pot on the day?!!? :sheep:

Andrew
Thursday 24th March 2005, 09:08
Hey dave grab me some of that tubeing ;)

Bison
Friday 25th March 2005, 20:12
I just drilled my box and am slightly dissapointed. I drilled using a 13mm wood drill to make a big hole as well one hole in each square. ok don't know about improved performance yet, but I notice no difference in the sound at all, sounds normal, no extra wooosh or chatter as I expected. Have I done something wrong?

Bison

Pedro Fandango
Friday 25th March 2005, 20:16
Though I think more impressed with the Black S60R parked out the back of Beckland Volvo (the big dealership in Brum).
tried to get one to race me the other day, sat in the outside lane so i got behind & flashed to let them know i was there & wanted to get through, but the women driving was to busy putting on her make-up to even notice i was there let alone race :splat:

:B_offtopi i know

Goof
Friday 25th March 2005, 21:12
I just drilled my box and am slightly dissapointed. I drilled using a 13mm wood drill to make a big hole as well one hole in each square. ok don't know about improved performance yet, but I notice no difference in the sound at all, sounds normal, no extra wooosh or chatter as I expected. Have I done something wrong?

Bison
I think you're supposed to drill as many as you can in the bottom - apparently around 30 10mm holes does it. Justin is the source of this one, so if you get stuck ask him! - he has test figures showing performance before and after if you're interested.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 00:36
Here is a pic of me doing Andrew's box (oo-er)

http://www.bigredvolvos.co.uk/images/airbox_drill1.jpg

I am using a 22mm wood drill bit. I made a small pilot hole on the inside to make sure the hole comes through in between the lattice inside the box.

nikgallagher
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 10:15
You been diggin up potatoes with those hands Dave! :wink:

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 10:44
No they just never seem to be that long from being under the bonnet of a T5.
My hands are defo black - not green. Fingernails are a nightmare.

d14vd_h
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 13:20
first heard about this in Max Power!?! but after consulting VOC forums was put off by people suggesting air filter becomes filthy very quickly decreasing its ability to function. i drive a 940 and wanted to give an induction noise since there are no kits available but im hesitant to do it after paying 50quid for k&n panel filter. thoughts?
if im doin it im pullin a spare airbox out of a scrapper knowing my DIY ability!

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 14:36
I am running an ITG panel anyway - bit like a Dyson - no loss of suction. VOC fail to mention that sucking air from arounf the rear of the gearbox is no more dirty than the air outside the car. Standard paper filters get v dirty very quickly anyway, irrespective of where the air comes from

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 14:39
I agree - get yourself an ITG and you'll not have a problem with loss of suction!

x

nikgallagher
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 14:51
Is an ITG filter essentially the same as the equivalent K&N / Pipercross etc. one? People on here seem to rate the ITG with no mention of the other brands?? Am I missing something here, or is there a sly sponsorship arrangement going on...

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 14:54
ITG panels are like a black foam with oil in it. They are quite sticky but the airflow easily passes through them.

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 14:54
LOL!! The ITG filters have been developed in conjunction with a leading Volvo tuning company and seems to be the best of the bunch really.

There is nothing wrong with k&n and the likes but I think the ITG's are just a better product specifically designed for our vehicle

x

Andrew
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 14:59
Is an ITG filter essentially the same as the equivalent K&N / Pipercross etc. one? People on here seem to rate the ITG with no mention of the other brands?? Am I missing something here, or is there a sly sponsorship arrangement going on...

I've used a K&N one for a while and have been very pleased with it's performance.

I recently switched to ITG and unfortunatly drilled my airbox at the same time so haven't been able to compare them correctly yet. The car seems more slugish at slow revs at the moment but I suspect thats because it's sucking in hot air from the bottom of the airbox and I'm hopeing it improves when I put a cold air feed to the bottom of the box.

Once I do I'll compare the ITG and K&N panels properly and report my findings.

Andrew.

nikgallagher
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 15:01
Ah, if they're specifically for volvos then that can't be bad. I s'pose K&N were designed with novas and escorts (post mk III) in mind then!!

nikgallagher
Tuesday 5th April 2005, 15:07
I s'pose K&N were designed with novas and escorts in mind then!!

Sorry Andrew! No malice intended. Simultaneous posting caught me out!! It's just K&N seem to have been widely accepted on the MaxPower scene round my way.

d14vd_h
Monday 11th April 2005, 11:59
right, im convinced
i plan to drill one big hole in the bottom of the air box and put a feed from there to the very bottom grille in the bumper, to force the cold air into the filter box, this should give me some extra power and a nice noise yeah????
my mate has a clio 182 and he says that essentialy thats what he has in his but its factory spec.
thoughts?

Bracer
Monday 11th April 2005, 12:01
right, im convinced
i plan to drill one big hole in the bottom of the air box and put a feed from there to the very bottom grille in the bumper, to force the cold air into the filter box, this should give me some extra power and a nice noise yeah????
my mate has a clio 182 and he says that essentialy thats what he has in his but its factory spec.
thoughts?

Thats basically what I did bit instead of cutting a new hole, I just removed the stock air feed and run the new pipe into the stock hole.

Bracer
Monday 11th April 2005, 12:05
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/639000-639999/639353_14_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/639000-639999/639353_113_full.jpg

d14vd_h
Monday 11th April 2005, 12:09
cheers for the reply bracer,
i run a 940, so things are slightly different in that dept but always a joy to see pics of ure car - its awesome, anyway not brave enough to remove original feed so gonna go with an additional one from the bottom, think thats ok? everyone seems to be positive about holes/feeds especially to the bottom. hate to be so shallow but will i get a good noise??? hahah

Bracer
Monday 11th April 2005, 12:30
cheers for the reply bracer,
i run a 940, so things are slightly different in that dept but always a joy to see pics of ure car - its awesome, anyway not brave enough to remove original feed so gonna go with an additional one from the bottom, think thats ok? everyone seems to be positive about holes/feeds especially to the bottom. hate to be so shallow but will i get a good noise??? hahah

Ah my bad sorry. Sound fine thou mate, cant see any problem with that ! Look forward to hearing about the results.

Steve

Andrew
Monday 11th April 2005, 13:37
Don't go through any water thought bracer will you :)

Bracer
Monday 11th April 2005, 13:39
Don't go through any water thought bracer will you :)

3 years and no probs so far.

Ian C70T5
Tuesday 12th April 2005, 08:11
I drilled mine Sunday, i have to say i think i can notice a bit of extra reponsiveness. time will tell

d14vd_h
Wednesday 20th April 2005, 00:37
Dont know if u guys have seen my post on the jetex system - if not have a look please
essentially it does the same as what bracer has done except has a cone filter before the airbox which accelerates the air making it even colder. i was going to apply it to the bottom of my airbox and leave the standard feed in place but for 100notes its a bit steep so think i'll stick with some tubing to the bottom and possibly the meshed vent 'green filter' have to attach to bumper/grille to stop crap flyin up tube.
anyone know best place to get soem decent flexible tubing,?? bracers looks spot on!!!!
would love some blue stuff ala jetex!!!
cheers

k999ste
Wednesday 20th April 2005, 08:41
i understand the piont of this mod, nice noise, feeling like the car is performing well, etc, but i can't help wondering why Volvo have spent so much time and effort getting air feeds to the box and fitting sensors all over the place if all they needed to do was put a wHOLY! box in. I have used and induction kit on previous cars with the removal of the airbox and added ducting i found a lot more roar but a terrible flat area just before the power band then immense pick up.

I know the tests show the top end acceleration is improved but what about the characteristics for the normal dull driving we do 99% of the time, how is it then?

:slap:

craig
Thursday 21st April 2005, 22:16
il be drilling for gold the weekend then .but how many holes ,how big and at what points?

craig
Thursday 21st April 2005, 22:21
il be drilling for gold the weekend then but how big how many and what points do you drill the box at? :brokenhea :B_steerin

d14vd_h
Thursday 21st April 2005, 22:26
il be drilling for gold the weekend then but how big how many and what points do you drill the box at? :brokenhea :B_steerin

craig ma man
read some of the earlier pages its all there for ya dude have fun!!!!
ps stick a cold air feed in aswell cold air is better for performance and all it is is leading ducting up to around the holes u drilled to put cold air in rather than the engine air

enrm6
Friday 22nd April 2005, 09:30
I am running an ITG panel anyway - bit like a Dyson - no loss of suction. VOC fail to mention that sucking air from arounf the rear of the gearbox is no more dirty than the air outside the car. Standard paper filters get v dirty very quickly anyway, irrespective of where the air comes from

Does the ITG panel filter need cleaning regularly then?

Wobbly Dave
Friday 22nd April 2005, 10:16
No not really. Occasionally, I just taken mine out - pick off the big bits, shake it and put it back in. I will ask Hamish next time I see him, if you are supposed to re-oil them and how often.

enrm6
Friday 22nd April 2005, 14:48
Interesting.. My fear would be that if the volvo paper filter obviously picks up a load of dirt very quickly and the ITG less so, then the dirt must be going somewhere, probably somewhere that the filter is there to prevent?

Justin
Friday 22nd April 2005, 14:53
:rolleyes:

Ian C70T5
Friday 22nd April 2005, 15:31
I drilled mine and have found heatsoak to be an issue, if fitting a cold air feed doesnt resolve it im going back to standard box

Wobbly Dave
Friday 22nd April 2005, 15:57
Interesting.. My fear would be that if the volvo paper filter obviously picks up a load of dirt very quickly and the ITG less so, then the dirt must be going somewhere, probably somewhere that the filter is there to prevent?

I doubt it. You just dont see the dirt as it soaks into the oil.

mikej
Friday 22nd April 2005, 15:58
Heatsoak ? that sounds technical although i have to agree with you my car don,t like it either ? try finding a non-drilled box though bloody hard!!! :frown:

enrm6
Friday 22nd April 2005, 16:11
I doubt it. You just dont see the dirt as it soaks into the oil.

Yeah, you are probably right. It is interesting reading about the foam technology especially when ITG reckon you never have to clean them!

Wobbly Dave
Friday 22nd April 2005, 16:18
This is the thing - if they needed cleaning any more than I've already been told, then I would have bought a kit. To be honest I doubt you ever need to.

d14vd_h
Friday 22nd April 2005, 16:18
ive been thinkin bout this for some time,

the air in the engine bay is no dirtieer than the outside air surely given that any air supplied to it is from the outside via the filter,
i had a look at my stock airfeed and its angled so that no large pieces of debri are sucked in, the replacement filters such as k&n and itg only need reoiled when subjected to extremly dirty environments e.g in dusty outback etc
therefore i wouldnt be worried about drilling holes for the dirt factor,
the only downside is the heat but if you compensate this with an extra direct cold air feed to that vicinity then its a good system, just make sure u mesh up or angle your feed in such a way as to avoid large particles being sucked in
a halfway house would be an additional vacum seal cold air to a non drilled airbox meaning that the car would have 2 cold air feeds and would therefore automatically alter the fuel mix to compensate for the extra air = more power

im going for a drilled airbox on the bottom with an additional sealed cold airfeed to the opposite side of the box to the standard one, giving me a good mix of noise and performance.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 22nd April 2005, 16:20
It is a good idea (if you havent drilled the box) to vac out the bottom of the air box once in a while/year

pzorb
Friday 22nd April 2005, 17:46
OK this thread is just confusing me now. :wtf: Can you guys clarify some things for me:

The whole point of drilling the airbox is to get more air into it, right? And as a side effect some extra noise leaks out. Now getting more air into it happens because (for debated reasons) there's cold airflow coming round the engine (ie not engine bay heated air) and this extra airflow allows the engine to perform better (that's not disputed). So some people are then saying that at slow speeds hotter air is coming in, but at faster ones there is a marked improvement. Ok. But then the solution to this heat is to run a direct cold air feed from outside into the airbox or where the holes now are - but surely that's the same stock setup as before?! Surely the easiest thing to do is modify the stock air intake's diameter / straighten it / add a second feed rather than messing around drilling holes in things? Bit of flexible piping from the DIY shop and after a bit of snipping and gaffertaping you're done?

Apologies if i've got the wrong end of the stick, or my suggested modifications are infact considerably more complicated than I'm assuming (sensors abound or something) but the way that this thread seems to me to be going is from 'miracle performance increase' to 'oh actually maybe not so good' and then back again - it's just perplexing me :slap:

I was going to drill mine this afternoon but now i'm warey, especially because it seems some are regretting it :bricks: So is it a good idea or not (and better/easier to run piping)?

Ta!!
Martin

SaffronC70
Friday 22nd April 2005, 18:05
I'd do your second plan of running an additional cold air feed to the underside of the box.

Take out the box, have a looksee, scratch your head, and see if you could accomodate a second feed !

Chris

d14vd_h
Friday 22nd April 2005, 18:30
yup,
i agree
i was equally perplexed and went all the way from simply drilling holes
to adding a jetex cold air feed with attached cone replacing the entire stock unit.

the best thing to do is accomodate a second direct cold air feed using some diy ducting full stop

however im in search of noise rather than pure power so im drilling additional holes aswell as second feed like the one u suggested.

this help???

SaffronC70
Friday 22nd April 2005, 18:40
David,

Have you seen my setup ?

pzorb
Friday 22nd April 2005, 19:37
I took a gander at your setup myself too - very nice. Sadly tho elephant want another 70 quid out of me for a non-standard filter so it's got to be something that looks stock. Like a deeper, fatter pipe into it but dunno where to source it from. Maybe newer volvos have some part i could adapt?

Martin

SaffronC70
Friday 22nd April 2005, 19:45
Tell you what . . . leave it alone ?

d14vd_h
Friday 22nd April 2005, 20:24
I took a gander at your setup myself too - very nice. Sadly tho elephant want another 70 quid out of me for a non-standard filter so it's got to be something that looks stock. Like a deeper, fatter pipe into it but dunno where to source it from. Maybe newer volvos have some part i could adapt?

Martin

elephant insurance
shizen thats who im with.... u could just not tell them
not like there gonna open ure filterbox, get k&n or itg replacement and use some black ducting will look standardbut if u wanna totally stick by the rules just whip out the stock feed and make it more direct and wider like u say
get ducting from almost any diy shop, e.g ducting for tumble dryers is huge, im usin vacumm cleaner hosing for my secondary feed cos the stuff the hose is made out of is industrial grade and has cuffs at the end good for attaching.

craig
Monday 25th April 2005, 22:04
well ive had my drill in my hand and then bottled it about 10 times now so stuff it im leaving it alone. i still burn my brothers golf vr6 off easily with my 225 hp and hes done just about all he can to it . makes you smile dont it

SaffronC70
Monday 25th April 2005, 22:07
Try declaring RICA to Elephant . . . pant wetting £980 !

Sent a few emails and in the end got filter, exhaust, chip 25% extra power and uprated brakes for £300 extra.

Chris

Ian C70T5
Tuesday 26th April 2005, 10:38
This failed to impress me unfortunately.

Felt more responsive mid range, but felt heatsoak after sitting in traffic.

I have a standard non-holy one on its way to me, £20 bargain..

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 26th April 2005, 10:41
Just out of interest what does heatsoak feel like( I'm not being pedantic - genuinely interested!)

x

Ian C70T5
Tuesday 26th April 2005, 11:13
No worries, i only know about it because i used to have a chargecooler on my old RS at one stage.

Heatsoak, basically when sitting in traffic or not moving the heat from the engine bay has no flow so heats up the items in the engine bay, including the airbox that has easy access holes in it to the filter. When pulling away from the traffic etc the inlet temperature has risen and possibly the ECU has detected this and for safety in the fear of detonation it might retard the ignition to compensate. making the car more sluggish to pull away.

Also could just be the hotter air is more dense and therefore reduces the intake of nice cold air .

or something like that, im sure someone will correct me if im wrong

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 26th April 2005, 11:18
Thats ok then! just wanted to make sure mine wasn't suffering from the same and its not!!

x