PDA

View Full Version : Please don't be expensive....

John Ret.
Saturday 1st April 2006, 11:58
Hello again,

Last night my trusty old s70 with 146,000 and RICA went a bit funny.

It accellerated fine up to around 3900revs, then stuttered and shook a little bit.

I'm going to try resetting the ecu, as this is free. Then I might have to get my wallet out.

Any idea what it could be, turbo?

Danke.

siamblue
Saturday 1st April 2006, 12:15
Could be a lot of things, check plugs, vacuum pipes, first, could just be just dodgy bit of fuel,

Gary,

Did it only do it once?

Liddo
Saturday 1st April 2006, 12:42
DONT floor it until you get it checked mate. My turbo actuator had a broke pipe, overboosted on full boost, and bent a rod! £900 Bill :(
It only did it to me on full throttle! Same type of fault

John Ret.
Saturday 1st April 2006, 23:28
Hi, it did it maybe three times, at the same revs each time. I drove it soft the rest of the way home.

Driving today though, it seems to have gone back to normal, so I'm assuming it was an ecu problem.

I've driven to Leeds today and it was fine all the way there and back.

I'll let you know if it comes back to bite me in the arse.

Cheers!

volvotuning
Saturday 1st April 2006, 23:43
As Liddo says, get it checked before you give it large again. If it does come back to bite you, it may do so in a very expensive way!

Adam.

Babybadger
Sunday 2nd April 2006, 02:21
Hello again,

Last night my trusty old s70 with 146,000 and RICA went a bit funny.

It accellerated fine up to around 3900revs, then stuttered and shook a little bit.

I'm going to try resetting the ecu, as this is free. Then I might have to get my wallet out.

Any idea what it could be, turbo?

Danke.

Sounds silly, but check the feed to the airbox above the horns. Some guy didnt put mine back properly and when I hit 80 on the M20 it started 'stuttering' and wouldn't rev past 4000rpm. Worth a look. That won't throw up a code either.

John Ret.
Sunday 2nd April 2006, 11:05
Cheers, will do.

It's going in for it's MOT this week so hopefully they'll pick up on anything wrong.

Cheers.

volvotuning
Sunday 2nd April 2006, 11:28
Cheers, will do.

It's going in for it's MOT this week so hopefully they'll pick up on anything wrong.

Cheers.

The MOT will not pick up anything like this. As long as it passes the emissions test then that's all they care about. The MOT is all about road worthiness.

Adam.

Liddo
Sunday 2nd April 2006, 12:46
John, get all the pipes checked to the actuactor and turbo mate. IF it overboosts when you floor it, your gonna have a big bill like I did! You can drive all day long at normal speeds, but as soon as you hit full boost, you'll get a stutter and a pause, then it'll burst into life like mine did, but then after that, it sounded like a tractor with its big ends gone :slap: Be Warned!

SaffronC70
Sunday 2nd April 2006, 13:14
DONT floor it until you get it checked mate. My turbo actuator had a broke pipe, overboosted on full boost, and bent a rod! £900 Bill :(

I'd advise eveyone to check that this pipe is secure ! Mine was cable tied on after having the 19T fitted. Promptly put on some 20p screw clamps.

Chris

blackbooty
Monday 3rd April 2006, 03:27

hi all those commenting here.
i guess im a very lucky boy then, when i got a spare 854 with 3 months tax left i decided to see how much abuse it could take before it broke.
i presumed they had a 'fuel shutoff overboost protection system' as a safety measure incase of wastegate malfunction ,as my saab 9000 does , so i pretentioned the wastegate actuator to reach the fuel shut off point.
to start with she was allowing up to 17 psi before coughing (out of the white bit on car boost gauge) after many over boosts she settled down to 15 psi before coughing.
i had hit the F S O P S about 15 times and ran her for 3 months at 14 psi without a prob and engine is still quiet,although she did develope a hot starting prob after 3 months. (dunno if its linked).
only mods were a K+N and uprated fuel pressure regulator.
why do you all think i didnt damage my rods ? im confused !

Babybadger
Monday 3rd April 2006, 10:17
hi all those commenting here.
i guess im a very lucky boy then, when i got a spare 854 with 3 months tax left i decided to see how much abuse it could take before it broke.
i presumed they had a 'fuel shutoff overboost protection system' as a safety measure incase of wastegate malfunction ,as my saab 9000 does , so i pretentioned the wastegate actuator to reach the fuel shut off point.
to start with she was allowing up to 17 psi before coughing (out of the white bit on car boost gauge) after many over boosts she settled down to 15 psi before coughing.
i had hit the F S O P S about 15 times and ran her for 3 months at 14 psi without a prob and engine is still quiet,although she did develope a hot starting prob after 3 months. (dunno if its linked).
only mods were a K+N and uprated fuel pressure regulator.
why do you all think i didnt damage my rods ? im confused !

K&N wouldn't help a hot starting problem, as its taking in hot air from the engine bay.

blackbooty
Monday 3rd April 2006, 16:24
hi babybager, it is a replacement k+n not a cone filter.
i was just interested what you all thought about me overboosting on a standard engine and how come i havent bent rods like so many other people have.
(not that id have cared about the rods cos its a throw away doner )

siamblue
Monday 3rd April 2006, 16:35
hi babybager, it is a replacement k+n not a cone filter.
i was just interested what you all thought about me overboosting on a standard engine and how come i havent bent rods like so many other people have.
(not that id have cared about the rods cos its a throw away doner )

I reckon being a standard turbo and ecu it didn't let you over boost too much, but i had a 19T fitted and obviously the 19t spiked too much and the ecu couldn't cope or the EBC.

Gary,

blackbooty
Monday 3rd April 2006, 17:27
cheers Gary, that explains it alittle.
maybe the over boost fuel shutoff couldnt work quick enough on your tuned engine.
on my saab turbo i drove it with the wastegate actuator vacume pipe disconnected for 2 months hitting the fuel shutoff nearly evertime i gave it a bootfull.
im still driving her now at 201,000 and shes still a rocket with a sweet , quiet engine.
wayne.

craig
Monday 3rd April 2006, 22:33
if you didnt want it to break it probably would.

BlackV70
Saturday 8th April 2006, 12:25
Did you figure it out in the end John?