PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Waistgate Control Rod

starnetman2001
Tuesday 5th October 2004, 14:33
Has anyone done this and is it easy to get to?

volvotuning
Tuesday 5th October 2004, 15:50
The best setting is the stock setting, so unless it's faulty I would leave it alone!!!

Adam.

starnetman2001
Tuesday 5th October 2004, 15:52
The best setting is the stock setting, so unless it's faulty I would leave it alone!!!

Adam.

I don't seem to be getting the boost I should and everything elce seems OK.

Justin
Tuesday 5th October 2004, 16:37
Could simply be a small air leak, but yes Adam is right, leave the wastegate alone unless its faulty.

Easiest way to tell is to check the boost pressure with a gauge :wink:

starnetman2001
Tuesday 5th October 2004, 16:52
Hmmm, sadly have not got a gauge. The car runs very well using no water or oil. I cannot see or hear any leaks but as you point out, I have no idea what the pressure is running at.
Are there any other things you can suggest I try before I buy a guage and can you suggest where to buy one.

Thanks,

David.

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 5th October 2004, 17:29
May sound obvious but check for deterioration of your hoses. Then invest in a boost gauge they aren't that expensive about £15 for a bottom of the range job - halfords and car accessory places should have plenty to choose from.

x

volvotuning
Tuesday 5th October 2004, 17:33
Don't go cheap on the boost gauge, cos some of the cheap ones aren't accurate, so you're no better off. Justin knows about this!!! ;)

Adam.

Justin
Tuesday 5th October 2004, 18:15
Most reliable ones for me cheap are the TIM gauges from halfords @ £25 :wink:

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 6th October 2004, 01:13
I second that (only coz J will beat me up otherwise :hidesbehi )

Seriously - the TIM seems about spot on. It is not difficult to fit - though I made a meal of it. Undo the throttle body cover (on the right hand end of the inlet manifold). Under there you will find a christmas tree of rubber blanks/stoppers. This is where you can attach your guage, via some vacuum hose. the TIM gauge kit came with some but it aint long enough. You need to feed it along the edges of the engine bay. You will see the vac hose for the inbuilt gauge (present on 850's only) coming off the very same tree.

Don't adjust you waistgage control rod unless you are sure.

Welcome BTW to the forum :welcome:

starnetman2001
Wednesday 6th October 2004, 09:26
Thanks for all the advice. Seems like a friendly place here :)

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 6th October 2004, 10:08
Think you will find that we are mostly harmless :wink: . Mostly :shifty:

wright_t5
Wednesday 6th October 2004, 12:53
Hi, Just caught up on your boost plight, I too have a problem with boost, well consistent boost, what are the symtoms you have, or what makes you think you are running low boost? :shifty:

Justin
Wednesday 6th October 2004, 14:44
First place to look is for air leaks, then start checking turbo etc, start small and cheap and work up unless you suss it in the meantime.

My car is running ruff at the moment, i had 2 bolts fall off from working loose the other day and she was loosing power, had them replaced with lock nuts and took her back down the M5, 1.3 Bar of boost later the ecu pulled it back to normal 1.1 and all is well, except i think i blew a plug at the same time, so new set, then leads and a fresh tank of optimax should see her right!

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 6th October 2004, 15:10
Exactly like J says :worship: - elbow joints (left hand end of inlet manifold below rad pipe nr tstat housing).
Mine had a hole in the I/C to throttle housing pipe and only ran 0.6 bar - leaking big time.
Vac hoses between the BCS and Wastegate actuator are also a common culprit. But at 150K miles the turbo is likely to be worn

wright_t5
Wednesday 6th October 2004, 16:17
Umm, I know, Have had those conversations, it is strange though as she will push full boost, "then" it backs off to nothing, then after a few seconds (Not changing your throttle position - Flat of course :wink: ) she boosts again, full over, then here we go again......

Must get a boost gauge, perhaps it's over boosting, ECU backs it off, then catches up again..... maybe, perhaps...

Anyway, I am getting a new chip/map file fitted on Monday, maybe that will cure the problem!!! :mad: :cry: :banana:

starnetman2001
Friday 8th October 2004, 23:17
I am not really sure if it sluggish. Comming back from Manchester tonight there was a long straight in which she pulled 120 from 40 and took 12 cars. That was on LPG and she's quicker on petrol.

I think it's this auto box you know. The 4 speed was quicker I think as it didn't change to 4th until 120.

I shall look for leaks tomorrow. It might sound daft but even after fitting the LPG I still am not sure where all the pipes lead. There is no room under the bonnet as standard and now with the mods I can barely squeeze a lemon in.

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 9th October 2004, 00:44
Does anyone else have this citrus based issue? For some reason I can't get this image of someone trying to make pancakes on the heat sheild, out of my head

:hidesbehi

Pedro Fandango
Saturday 9th October 2004, 10:08
Does anyone else have this citrus based issue? For some reason I can't get this image of someone trying to make pancakes on the heat sheild, out of my head
nice oil favoured pancakes at that

Dave, whats with the modern version of the village people in your signature?

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 10th October 2004, 01:09
Just felt more funky really.