PDA

View Full Version : induction kit fitting problems

daddy
Friday 31st March 2006, 13:24
hi fitted a K & N induction kit to my 850 T5 R yesterday ( + heat sheild ) any body no how to support the filter without using zip ties. thanks

Evil Edna
Friday 31st March 2006, 14:23
To be honest matey, every car has the same problem. On my old corsa, i slapped some fibre glass together and made a sort-of bracket, which fitted into one of the holes the origional air box housing popped into.

Just an idea, but worked really well. The other advantage of doing it that way is it wont rattle against anything, and cable ties these days are pretty poor, as soon as they rub off something, youve had it...Next thing you know, your induction kit's sitting in your rear arch!

Just take some cling film/baking foil, wrap it around the induction cone, put fibre glass onto the foil, then either let that dry and make a mould of the supports, or do it all in one!

Depends how far you want to go for heat resistance really!

Hope this helps:)

aeroresh
Friday 31st March 2006, 17:38
The BSR jobbie on my 60 fits to the old air box mounts, dont know if the 850 has a different set up.

You maybe need to look at fabricating a bracket that clamps behind the cone and then sits on the original air box mounts.

t5 stealth
Friday 31st March 2006, 18:17
hi
i put a k&n on mine & had no support bracket either,
all i did was made a bracket up from a peice of metal,
fitted it underneath the filter & bolted to the chassis framework below it,so the weight of the filter is taken by the bracket,thus it doesnt put any stress on the intake pipe,

c70mel
Saturday 1st April 2006, 18:56
How did you connect the bracket to the filter? Im going to be needing to make a bracket for mine as well so am looking into this. Any pics of these diy brackets?

t5 stealth
Saturday 1st April 2006, 19:32
i fitted the bracket onto 1 of the 2 screws that fit the k&n to the existing pipe,the 2 that were from the original filter box,
were the filter meets the adaptor,
hope you can make sence of that

GuyD5
Saturday 1st April 2006, 19:43
any piccies T5 stealth? ... paints a thousand words, etc...... ;)

t5 stealth
Saturday 1st April 2006, 19:45
i hav a pic,,not a very good pic but just visable bracket,
if u send me email adress il send it to u,
i cant seem to get pics up on this thing

GuyD5
Sunday 2nd April 2006, 08:21
Picture courtesy of t5 stealth

Bison
Monday 3rd April 2006, 00:04
I've done mine without zip ties or the hassel of a bracket, will get some pics a.s.a.p.

Bison

BlackBeast
Monday 3rd April 2006, 00:21
I've done mine without zip ties or the hassel of a bracket, will get some pics a.s.a.p.

Bison

What's it supported by, engine heat? lol

Straker
Wednesday 5th April 2006, 16:01
You shouldn't need to support the filter part. I have a BSR induction kit with the heat shield and there is no bracketry supplied therefore assume none required. I put up a thread title '' New shiney bits" with a picture but the filter is perfectly secure with just the jubele clip holding it to the pipe work.