PDA

View Full Version : PCV & Catch Tank

BlackBeast
Friday 31st March 2006, 00:02
Im going to try this setup (2nd diagram), either with or without the hose from the exhaust side (left side) of the block, all depends if there is a bung that isnt being used that goes into the crankcase!?!

So, as standard it looks like this:-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/blackbeast/pcv9596_850T.jpg

#15 will be capped at the inlet as i dont think there's any need for it.

And once ive finished with it, it will look a little like this:-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/blackbeast/3portbreather.jpg

One side of the tank will collect the oil, the other will vent to atmosphere.

At the same time i will be fitting my CAI (cold air intake) so the accordion pipe will be thrown and replaced with a nice smooth metal pipe. Only slight problem, il still have to fit the pcv valve in the intake pipe.

What do you all think? Will it work? Will the crankcase pressure be to high?

Engineer
Friday 31st March 2006, 00:27
Hi Dave have by-passed 10/11 on mine for road would double up with 8 for track. Works fine and stops oil film build up in the intake at full bore. No venting to atmo.

BlackBeast
Friday 31st March 2006, 15:29
Yeah thats definately the easiest way to do it, but i dont want it going to the intake at all :)

Engineer
Friday 31st March 2006, 18:53
Yeah thats definately the easiest way to do it, but i dont want it going to the intake at all :)
Fair enough mate see where your coming from. :)

elliot
Friday 31st March 2006, 19:21
I dont run the PCV valve but i have an 850.I dont get the problem that was mentioned over on VS.As far as i am aware it is a copper heater element to stop the oil condensing before it enters the intake pipe it does'nt operate as a valve.Maybe wrong though

BlackBeast
Friday 31st March 2006, 20:24
You are correct elliot, i think for ease everyone calls it the pcv valve.

Thats interesting that you dont run it and dont have any problems. Im guessing you dont have the valve/heater in the intake pipe at all? Rather than just not capped. The problem that was mentioned was also on an 850.

I guess i shall just have to try all the different methods and see if there are any problems as i have a v70 with motronic 4.4, which probably needs that valve.

elliot
Friday 31st March 2006, 22:08
No PCV no problems been like it for around 2 years now.I think that the chap may have left the vac feed from the inlet open and did'nt block it at the manifold and thats what caused the problems.Just a guess ;).