PDA

View Full Version : aerosol spraying front bumper scuff damage

mike7
Tuesday 28th March 2006, 21:32
Hi Guys,
I have a bit of scuff damage to the front drivers side bumper. It is very light but as I have just got the car (1998 V70r in silver)I might as well get it repaired.
Now, I fancy trying it myself -might as well as if I make mess of it, then it will not have cost alot, and will then get painted professionally anyway.
So, has anyone any knowledge of how to prep the plastic correctly for the paint to adhere as it should?
cheers,Mike.

Vikingxl
Tuesday 28th March 2006, 22:24
Good luck mate do some before and after piccys

pzorb
Tuesday 28th March 2006, 22:42
I've done this job before. As long as you're not expecting the work to be seemless, sand the area in question finely then mask it off, primer, wait, coat, wait, coat, wait, coat, laquer, dry. I waited an hour, and that's certainly not long enough for a decent job of it. Your local motorist's discount can sort you out with chassis matched paint, paper and aerosol for about 12 quid.

arbee
Tuesday 28th March 2006, 23:11
you should be able to do a half decent job yourself. Silver tho is notoriously the hardest colour to invisabley match, i did my bumper scuff on a cold windy morning and then went on to a meet - it shows! Spend a bit of time on it, even remove the bumper/fogs etc for a better job, and you'll do well. '2 pack' laquers are availble 'off the shelf' now which are formulated with a hardner. this should give you a more resiliant finish.

Tomcat
Tuesday 28th March 2006, 23:13
If you've scuffed the bumper then you'll have to do the whole bumper otherwise you will see the 'join' in the paint. sand back with 800 grade wet and dry. Prime with plastic adhesion promoter, wait around 30 mins for this to go off, spray with plastic primer, wait around 10-15 mins for this to go off, spray base coat(if its metalic) and leave again for around 10-15 mins to go off, spray with laquer and leave for a good few hours to dry touch dry. Although it doesn't sound like it, I would allow at least a day for this, more if you want to remove the bumper to spray it rather than spray it on the car.

This sort of thing is not hard as long as you have some idea of what your doing and allow plenty of drying time in between. A well heated garage works wonders for drying paint.

I've just colour coded all bar the rear bumper(which is next) and it looks great, good luck.

The Flying Banana
Tuesday 28th March 2006, 23:25
Beaten to it by TC but i had typed it so I'll leave it on LOL!!!

prepare the area, flatten paint all around the area and a good 5 or 6 six inches beyond also. Fill any indents with plastic filler and flatten again. mask off to the nearest swedge line and mask just past the 6 inches away from the scuff and prime the scuff and just around it with primer ( or spray putty) a good few coats and then leave to dry, flatten and then spray very lightly over the area with a black areasol to get a black mist over it ...flatten this guide coat and once all the black specs have gone it will be totally flat . Now spray over the repair in base coat silver a good few coats ( easy done as it goes on more or less dry ) and once it has totally dried spray the repair with the laquer overlapping the repair by one inch then two , then three untill you are at your mask line ( best to apply this this mask line as a bit of masking tape then fold it over on itself so half is stuck and you are looking at the sticky side and tape that down...this way you wont get a definate edge but a softer edge as the laquer just settles into the rounded edge of the tape...once all dry flatten the soft edge off and then polish with fine cutting compound to blend in ..jobs a good un!!!

mike7
Wednesday 29th March 2006, 20:48
Hi Guys,
thanks for the replies. I will try to take a photo before and after if I get a shot of the camera. The damage is only minor, but someone has tried to bodge it up before and it looks poor. It is an area approx 6"across and 10" down, right on the corner of the bumper. I have sprayed on metal a few times but wasn't sure how to prep the plastic.... but now I know, so thanks again.
cheers,Mike.

Vikingxl
Monday 3rd April 2006, 17:43
How did it go then?

mike7
Wednesday 5th April 2006, 12:20
Hi Guys,
painted the bumper yesterday, but decided to only do the damaged area and go past it gently to blend in. Rubbed down, applied adhesive then 4 thin coats of primer, 4 thin of paint and 4 thin of laquer. The finish is very good but obviously the join can be seen, but only very slightly. I think it will blend in better once I cut/compound it in in a week or so once the paint is cured properly.I took photos, but would need advice on how to post them.
Overall I would give it 90%, but alot better than the £230 quoted.
I think in time I will do the top of the rear bumper that has the almost inevitable scratches, but can be masked in easier for an almost invisable repair.
Thanks for the advise guys! cheers Mike

mike7
Wednesday 5th April 2006, 12:23
Hi,
forgot to say that I had the garage nice and warm and used a heat gun to gently warm the plastic before and after painting. This cut the drying time between coats drastically.
cheers,Mike.

Vikingxl
Wednesday 5th April 2006, 12:34
Mike if you are struggling with the piccys email them to me at vikingt5@hotmail.co.uk and i will post them up for you

Vikingxl
Sunday 9th April 2006, 16:43
Ok i have been away for a few days sorry mike anyway here are the piccys.

Before

Vikingxl
Sunday 9th April 2006, 16:44
During

Vikingxl
Sunday 9th April 2006, 16:44
After

Vikingxl
Sunday 9th April 2006, 16:45
Looks pretty good mate well done

mike7
Sunday 9th April 2006, 20:06
Hi,
thanks for the help Viking! Don't know where the spots came from but they are not on the finished article! It looks good enough for me.

cheers,Mike

Vikingxl
Sunday 9th April 2006, 20:07
Think they are sunlight on the lens mate