PDA

View Full Version : MBC fitment, Help?

T5TIM
Monday 27th March 2006, 22:12
Ok not the first time Ive fitted an MBC but I have a strange problem.

before fitting, I put a gauge on it and tested boost standard, held 10 psi for at least 30 sec's consistantly.

Removed the 2 pipe's from the BCS (left the one on intake) and put the MBC between them. Problem is no matter how much I adjust the MBC it doesnt make any diference! (or VERY little)

Have I done something wrong or is the mbc faulty? when I asked the company who sent/manufactured it they suggested that if I could blow through it, it may need re-seating, I could blow through it (just) so stripped and cleaned it which seemed to work. Re-fitted........ just the same!!

Any idea's? (1998 V70R awd BTW) :frown:

Ross9
Monday 27th March 2006, 22:14
Should the car make more than 10psi as standard?

Is there any noise to suggest a boost leak?

What would actuator pressure be on the car?

Ross

T5TIM
Monday 27th March 2006, 22:40
Yeh I think 10 psi is standard on the R model, all pipes in good nick and no hint of a leak. Holds 10psi spot on normally.
Last MBC I fitted was a diferent make, and was great.
Worried about the quality of this one

scott t5
Monday 27th March 2006, 23:10
sounds like u got the same problem as me :slap: i reckon my turbo actuactor spring is weak on the turbo and when u hit ur boost its blowing the actuator open so possible actuator fault m8 :eek:

nobananas
Monday 27th March 2006, 23:10
When I fitted mine I was advised to block off the pipe to the air intake.

siamblue
Monday 27th March 2006, 23:24
When I fitted mine I was advised to block off the pipe to the air intake.

Ditto as above you need too block that nipple off, near too the maf housing,

Gary

MattB
Tuesday 28th March 2006, 00:39
Me too on this one chaps - I simply left the hose attached to the centre port on the BCS and blocked the redundant end with a screw.

T5TIM
Tuesday 28th March 2006, 08:28
Appreciate your comments guy's, must admit my next suspect was the actuater. If it was that though, ie; weak spring, wouldnt it flutter rather than hold a nice steady 10psi? Gauge is really sensitive and I thought I'd notice.

Does anyone know what they are supposed to be pre-set at? (and where to get a new one if its weak) :) :)

T5TIM
Tuesday 28th March 2006, 12:21
OK, Ive just (carefully) tried the following; remove pipe to wastegate actuator and try :jaw: I know, I know I did say carefully. And? 10psi... which means, either wastegate actuator or turbo. (or leak but seems unlikely given stable results)

Turbo seems ok, no undue whistle, spools up ok and zero smoke.

Where's Adam when you need him :frown:

craig
Tuesday 28th March 2006, 21:27
it might not be this but i discovered a split in the main pipe (the short one that joins onto the inlet manifold) and this was releasing pressure . wouldnt hurt to have alook . slide your hand underneath it and have a feel.you never know.

T5TIM
Wednesday 29th March 2006, 22:13
Thanks craig, I'll double check in the next couple of days

Can Anyone from Volvotuning help with any advise please? I did email today but no reply?

Thank you :)

volvotuning
Thursday 30th March 2006, 14:04
Hi Tim,

Unfortunately we don't support MBC modifications because of the potential damage they can cause so from a strictly legal point of view (read that as covering my own arse!! lol) I can't help you with fitting an MBC. Sorry!! I hope you understand.

From a boost broblem point of view, then only way we can help is if you bring the car down so that we can have a look at what may be causing the boost issue.

Adam.

T5TIM
Thursday 30th March 2006, 14:14
No help there then! :frown: