PDA

View Full Version : CD/MP3 changer

mailee
Monday 14th March 2005, 01:14
Does anyone know if this CHA-S634 Alpine changer would work with the SC805 premium sound system as fitted in the 850 CD T5?

Ivan
Monday 14th March 2005, 19:07
Don't take this as gospel but I think you'll probably need a protocol adapter if you are replacing the Volvo unit with the Alpine. They cost £50-60.

mailee
Monday 14th March 2005, 19:44
Hi Ivan, I hate to sound ignorant but what is a protocol adaptor? I don't intend to change the radio/tape/Cd player in the car just add a CD changer in the boot as there isn't one. I just thought this was a good one as it will also play MP3 format disks.

misterpeck
Tuesday 15th March 2005, 10:52
I have just had the Alpine CHA-S630 put in mine £220 supply and fit to standard head unit SC801?

mailee
Tuesday 15th March 2005, 18:06
Does the 1997 T5 CD estate have the connecting lead already installed in the loom? I read on one of the threads that it is under one of the panels in the boot/tailgate section. I have had a look but couldn't see anything. i looked at the back of the unit in the dash and there is a small roundlooks like six pin connector on the back but no cable? My stereo is the SC 805 premium sound system.

Ivan
Tuesday 15th March 2005, 19:54
Hi Ivan, I hate to sound ignorant but what is a protocol adaptor? I don't intend to change the radio/tape/Cd player in the car just add a CD changer in the boot as there isn't one. I just thought this was a good one as it will also play MP3 format disks.

The Protocol adapter changes the interface to the CD remote. If you originally had a Volvo CD remote (i.e. changer), and you swap if for an Alpine, although the original Volvo was a rebadged Alpine it didn't quite speak the same language. The protocol adapter, translates the Alpine CD changer into the Volvo format.

I don't know what happens if you didn't have a changer to start with tho -sorry!

mailee
Tuesday 15th March 2005, 20:04
Thanks Ivan, I now understand a little more. It looks like I should really go for a Volvo changer if I don't want to spend the extra on a protocol adapter. I did look them up and the cheapest was £60! It then looks like I will need a lead to connect it to the original stereo although I don't know the price of this yet, but all in all it looks like it would be far cheaper to go for a second hand volvo unit off e-bay. Apparently from what I can find out from searching the Alpine 634 MP3 unit will not work with the Volvo anyway so it would have to be the 630. I can buy the 630 Alpine for £100 but then another £60 for the adapter and whatever the lead costs so I think it would be wise to go for the e-bay alternative. Thanks for all the info Ivan at least I know which way to go now. :)