PDA

View Full Version : Brake fluid question...

barberecpw
Monday 27th March 2006, 16:35
Hi All,

I have a volvo t5 (1995)

..could the braking system take silicone brake fluid?

Regards

barberecpw
Monday 27th March 2006, 16:45
Hi All,

I have a volvo t5 (1995)

Regards

i think i can answer my own question :slap: .. V usefull >>>>>>>

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/BrakeFluidComparison.html#BrakeFluidComparison

speedswede
Monday 27th March 2006, 17:19
Hi All,

I have a volvo t5 (1995)

Regards

No.

Silicone fluids are DOT5 and are incompatible with your DOT4 system. You can use DOT5.1 (which is not silicone based)

The link that you have found is an interesting one, too

stuAWD
Monday 27th March 2006, 19:22
Yes you can use DOT5, but it is not recommended, as you will have to do a complete flush of the system, this means that you will have to take off all the calipers to bleed the system because DOT5 is lighter than than the stuff you have in, so the new stuff sits on top of the old stuff, thats the reason you need to remove the calipers, so you can invert them while you bleed the old stuff out. Having said all this, it is not proven that DOT5 works well in the more modern braking systems.
A bit of history: - the military used DOT5 when storing their vehicles for long periods as it does not take on water vapour like normal brake fluids, and so aleviates corrosion within the braking system. This is the theory anyway.

Engineer
Monday 27th March 2006, 19:38
Hi All,

I have a volvo t5 (1995)

Regards
Wash your mouth out mate lol.

Straker
Monday 27th March 2006, 20:02
DO NOT USE SILICONE!!!!!

As said it's incompatiable with dot 4 and can sometimes make the piston seals swell and leak. Unless you want to completely drain down your system it's not worth the risk. For someone who has just replace two front calipers and drained his own system (snapping several siezed brake unions and having to re-form the ends of the pipes :slap: ) It's not a fun job.

If there is nothing wrong with the calipers just replace the fluid with standard dot4. Unless you are doing lots of track days or seriousley trying to loose your licence on the road you don't need dot5.

Straker
Monday 27th March 2006, 20:04
Just noticed past the 300 post mark wo ho!

(mental note must go out and get life) :B_blite: :B_steerin

speedswede
Monday 27th March 2006, 22:11
Unless you are doing lots of track days or seriousley trying to loose your licence on the road you don't need dot5.
To be fair, I know of at least one DOT4 fluid with higher boiling points than most DOT5.1 fluids. So, DOT5.1 is not necessarily "better" than DOT4.

Straker
Monday 27th March 2006, 22:27
To be fair, I know of at least one DOT4 fluid with higher boiling points than most DOT5.1 fluids. So, DOT5.1 is not necessarily "better" than DOT4.

Fair point a good quility dot4 may well be better than a certain dot5. Check the all important boiling point.

siamblue
Monday 27th March 2006, 23:29
so where was my phone call bud?

DO NOT USE SILICONE!!!!!

As said it's incompatiable with dot 4 and can sometimes make the piston seals swell and leak. Unless you want to completely drain down your system it's not worth the risk. For someone who has just replace two front calipers and drained his own system (snapping several siezed brake unions and having to re-form the ends of the pipes :slap: ) It's not a fun job.

If there is nothing wrong with the calipers just replace the fluid with standard dot4. Unless you are doing lots of track days or seriousley trying to loose your licence on the road you don't need dot5.

barberecpw
Tuesday 28th March 2006, 00:34
thanks to all for the replys.

:wave23d:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c85/cpgroup2/MR-t.gif