PDA

View Full Version : Visiting VT on Weds 29/3

BlackV70
Sunday 26th March 2006, 11:56
I've finally given in to the inevitable, a RICA 310 & Miltek cat-back package :sinner:

Fingers crossed that all goes well. I've done as much preparation as I can easily do, including engine oil & filter, plugs, gearbox oil & ITG panel filter.

The only other thing I suspect may need replacing is the fuel filter. Will ask advice at VT and have it changed at the same time if recommended to.

I'm driving up from Hampshire and aim to arrive around 8.30 in order to miss the worst of the morning rush.

If anyone wants to meet up for breakfast or a chat, feel free :) ....

gazjacko
Sunday 26th March 2006, 18:46
I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the results.
I was considering going to the 280bhp one myself but I'm not sure whether the old girl is up to it.

Vikingxl
Sunday 26th March 2006, 19:11
Would have loved to meet up but i am booked in at the tattooists for the whole day sorry

r07s
Sunday 26th March 2006, 19:23
I've finally given in to the inevitable, a RICA 310 & Miltek cat-back package :sinner:

Fingers crossed that all goes well. I've done as much preparation as I can easily do, including engine oil & filter, plugs, gearbox oil & ITG panel filter.

The only other thing I suspect may need replacing is the fuel filter. Will ask advice at VT and have it changed at the same time if recommended to.

I'm driving up from Hampshire and aim to arrive around 8.30 in order to miss the worst of the morning rush.

If anyone wants to meet up for breakfast or a chat, feel free :) ....

I look forward to hearing about the journey home - in a different car!!

I'm up there for my 90K service on friday (31st) - will be there at 10ish if anybody wants to hook up... :)

Liddo
Monday 27th March 2006, 11:22

I thought VT threw in a ITG if you went for the 310 and Miltek??????

Once Ive got my penny's saved, I'll be doing the same :D End of May I reckon

craig
Tuesday 28th March 2006, 21:35
I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the results.
I was considering going to the 280bhp one myself but I'm not sure whether the old girl is up to it.

well mines done 170 000 now and still goes like s**t off a shovel , just look after it and get it ricad itl be the best thing you ever did . youl be smiling for weeks :B_steerin

woz
Wednesday 29th March 2006, 00:22
I got mine done within a coupe of months of buying my 850 T5 estate. Told wifey it was going in for a service. Ooops. It was on 163k at the time and is no worse ff for it. (mabe the tyre bills...??)

Got the RICA 280 as I already had an ITG filter. LOVE it - goes great, but still economical . Got 31 mpg on the way back from Taunton today - only had one race and only topped the ton once.

Generally does 27 mpg and thrashes most motors. Admit I struggled against a BMW530d last week - crawled past him but had to get up to 95 before he gave up. Maybe an exhaust upgrade is next.

The way it delivers is just so sweet - The turbo starts build from around 2400 rpm - I sensed it was nearer 3000 before so much nicer to drive but you can still pul from <1000 rpm in top.

Go for it - it wont cost much more than a full service.

WOZ

gazjacko
Wednesday 29th March 2006, 19:54
That's decided then!
I've checked the bank account
emptied the coin slot
cleared the footwells of loose pennies
robbed the kids piggy bank
down the back of the sofa
just book it in :sinner:
spoke to Insurance company :slap:

rethink

r07s
Wednesday 29th March 2006, 20:02
That's decided then!
I've checked the bank account
emptied the coin slot
cleared the footwells of loose pennies
robbed the kids piggy bank
down the back of the sofa
just book it in :sinner:
spoke to Insurance company :slap:

rethink
RICA isnt detectable is it?? ;)

volvotuning
Wednesday 29th March 2006, 20:57
RICA isnt detectable is it?? ;)

It's still a modification and technically should be declared.

Adam.

gazjacko
Wednesday 29th March 2006, 22:35
The car is to be used for emergency response when at work (Fire Officer) so I did well to find insurance for the two tones and blue lights driving. I can't risk undeclared mods as any accident would be subject to a full investigation (Police & Fire Service) and could result in loss of licence AND job!

woz
Wednesday 29th March 2006, 22:45
on the insurance front ....

I declared mine - it was only about £150 extra and they said it wont go up anymore when I have the suspension etc done - its just the one hit for being modified - unless I go mental I guess. So at £680 fully comp in BS5 thats not bad. Was £330 for my Citroen BX TPFT (as if anyone would nick it!)

Now where was that link to the Nitrous suppliers.....

gazjacko
Wednesday 29th March 2006, 22:54
At the moment I'm paying less than £300 fully comp! but they won't consider any other mods. The compromise is a very large excess as I think the theory is the blues & twos will clear the way and the excess will cover any cars I just 'brush' on the way!!!
I should just point out that there's no immunity, I'm liable for prosecution should the Police see fit, for dangerous driving or undue care just like the rest of you. it's just handy for Gatsos etc. :rally_dri

r07s
Wednesday 29th March 2006, 22:57
The car is to be used for emergency response when at work (Fire Officer) so I did well to find insurance for the two tones and blue lights driving. I can't risk undeclared mods as any accident would be subject to a full investigation (Police & Fire Service) and could result in loss of licence AND job!
You most definately cannot risk it; no mod or more insurance...

siamblue
Thursday 30th March 2006, 17:36
Only remap that is undetectable is the MTE on the P1 x70's, as they don't solder,
You should always declare you mods, it is careless and stupid not too,

Gary.

volvotuning
Thursday 30th March 2006, 17:59
Only remap that is undetectable is the MTE on the P1 x70's.

Gary.

That's not true. If we're talking in the same context, then both RICA and BSR are also "undetectable" in exactly the same way.

Adam.

arbee
Thursday 30th March 2006, 21:25
That's not true. If we're talking in the same context, then both RICA and BSR are also "undetectable" in exactly the same way.

Adam.

Slightly o/t but do chips/remaps like RICA require soldering of the ECU? i thought they were a software flash of somekind? (no expert!)

volvotuning
Friday 31st March 2006, 00:51
Slightly o/t but do chips/remaps like RICA require soldering of the ECU? i thought they were a software flash of somekind? (no expert!)

There are many tools available in this industry for precisely that, therefore many ECUs don't require soldering. See, you have to differenciate between developing tuned maps, and delivering these maps into the ECU.

For example, companies such as RICA focus 99% of their effort on developing tuned maps. However, these maps can be installed into the ECU in various ways, such as soldering, bench flashing, obdII programming, to name a few. It depends on the RICA dealer as to which method they choose to use. If I use our company as an example, we have many different tools for this and as a result I can put the same RICA software into an ECU using various methods. However, there are dealers that for example don't want to invest in all these tools and as such many only be equipped to program an ECU via the OBDII port. In summary, RICA write the software. How it's squirted into the ECU depends on the dealer installing it. Same goes for other software providers such as Superchips.

Adam.

Babybadger
Friday 31st March 2006, 10:51
There are many tools available in this industry for precisely that, therefore many ECUs don't require soldering. See, you have to differenciate between developing tuned maps, and delivering these maps into the ECU.

For example, companies such as RICA focus 99% of their effort on developing tuned maps. However, these maps can be installed into the ECU in various ways, such as soldering, bench flashing, obdII programming, to name a few. It depends on the RICA dealer as to which method they choose to use. If I use our company as an example, we have many different tools for this and as a result I can put the same RICA software into an ECU using various methods. However, there are dealers that for example don't want to invest in all these tools and as such many only be equipped to program an ECU via the OBDII port. In summary, RICA write the software. How it's squirted into the ECU depends on the dealer installing it. Same goes for other software providers such as Superchips.

Adam.

If say an accident occured and they investigated whether a car was RICA'd or not is there anything on the ECU that would give away the date it was modified? I.E. a modified date in a hex dump etc.

volvotuning
Friday 31st March 2006, 11:33
If say an accident occured and they investigated whether a car was RICA'd or not is there anything on the ECU that would give away the date it was modified? I.E. a modified date in a hex dump etc.

No. There is no timestamp for the modified software.

Adam.

heyes
Friday 31st March 2006, 13:52
Have I missed something how did you get on BlackV70 at VT

BlackV70
Friday 31st March 2006, 19:07
... is the way I'd describe it :B_blite: .

Drove home from VT to Hampshire on the Wednesday then up to Essex and back yesterday with the new set-up so have covered a few miles before reporting back.

Car got a clean bill of health at VT aside from incorrect top engine mount bush (850 not V70) and slack wastegate actuator linkage. Had these fixed at the same time.

This car now has a reformed character :sinner:

I thought it was fairly quick before, now I'll have to say I'd misjudged it because it certainly is quick now. The exhaust is not too noisy either, this was a concern as it is a family car. Must sound interesting outside though as I've noticed a few heads turn around town when out "testing" today.

I had been watching this forum and toying with the idea of RICA for a few months. Some advice for anyone doing the same: "Just do it".

Worth the drive to meet the experts too!

heyes
Friday 31st March 2006, 19:17
what year and mileage is your car and where do you find the biggest difference in performance.

Ian C70T5
Friday 31st March 2006, 19:20
Wait till you go 19T conversion. then the drive experience is a whole new one again going home..

its like a completly new animal all over again..

Glad you are impressed. VT know their stuff and do excellent work..

BlackV70
Friday 31st March 2006, 19:44
@ hayes

My car is a 1999 4 speed auto P1 with ME7 and 87K miles on the clock.

The extra performance is refined and controlable, it is possible to wheelspin it - fairly easily on kickdown at 30 - 40 mph (with 225's) but is is also easy to take off swiftly with the greatest of ease.

Didn't go much over the ton during the last couple of days, it's still pulling hard in 3rd at that speed without trying too hard. It pulls well across the range, will report ton+ performance after my next trip into mainland europe.

Noticed my average mpg has gone up from 23's to 26's too!

siamblue
Friday 31st March 2006, 21:11
@ hayes

My car is a 1999 4 speed auto P1 with ME7 and 87K miles on the clock.

The extra performance is refined and controlable, it is possible to wheelspin it - fairly easily on kickdown at 30 - 40 mph (with 225's) but is is also easy to take off swiftly with the greatest of ease.

Didn't go much over the ton during the last couple of days, it's still pulling hard in 3rd at that speed without trying too hard. It pulls well across the range, will report ton+ performance after my next trip into mainland europe.

Noticed my average mpg has gone up from 23's to 26's too!

BV What else has been done to the car? and what plans are for the future?

Gary,

BlackV70
Saturday 1st April 2006, 19:03
The only other mods are a strut brace (volvo), 18" BBS Triton 2 piece rims, ITG panel filter & relocated horns/ mesh grill. The car has been well maintained and is in good original condition with a full main dealer service history.

The RICA 310 is probably as far as I will go performance wise as it's an auto and such not well suited to 19T/ stage II.

The only other change I may make is to go from 18" to 17" rims as the ride can be a little hardcore for the family sometimes. Some of those twisted 17" 5 spokes from the V70 R (I forget the name) would be nice if I can find someone to swap with me. Handles well on the 18's though.

siamblue
Saturday 1st April 2006, 19:08
Mnay thanks mate, are you sure it's not suited lol, Wobbley's went very well,
Those wheels are called comets mate, one of the nicest alloys Volvo made,

Gary.

GuyD5
Saturday 1st April 2006, 19:27
Wobbley's went very wellMind you Gary, his auto box (on the 850R) had to be replaced when it exploded ... the C70 with the 19T flew though ;) (sorry Wobbly :))

siamblue
Saturday 1st April 2006, 21:04
Mind you Gary, his auto box (on the 850R) had to be replaced when it exploded ... the C70 with the 19T flew though ;) (sorry Wobbly :))

I think that could make a new thread most power via the auto box,

Gary.

Engineer
Saturday 1st April 2006, 21:10
I think that could make a new thread most power via the auto box,

Gary.
Its wot your left foot's for lol. The brake pedal that is.....................

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 2nd April 2006, 23:42
Mnay thanks mate, are you sure it's not suited lol, Wobbley's went very well,
Those wheels are called comets mate, one of the nicest alloys Volvo made,

Gary.I was happy with the 19T on my auto 850R - but because she was a bit too long in the tooth, the gain in level of power I had in my head, didnt quite match the reality - but yeah she was quick. The AT box blew up long before the 19T was fitted (my own fault/abuse).

I am gonna go back to the 19T for my next one - principally coz I still have all the bits (apart from a working Volvo).

Guy - I am getting used to it and yes she did fly!

BV70 - Sounds like you had a great day. Will publish soon the development required to install an additional inline cooler for the ATF....
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=899

I dont want to sell this setup anymore so I am gonna make my development work freely available.