PDA

View Full Version : v70 t5 taking a long time to start

amphead123
Saturday 25th March 2006, 21:02
Hi all,

Anyone suffered from rough starting on a 98 v70 t5. Normally takes a long time to fire up (about 5-10secs) and the battery sounds like it is fine. The past two mornings when it has been really cold it has got better????

BlackBeast
Saturday 25th March 2006, 21:06
From your username i take it you like your 'ICE' installs, maybe its draining the battery too much and your alternator cant handle it!?!

amphead123
Saturday 25th March 2006, 21:19
Nah mate, I used to play a lot of hard rock guitar in my more youthfull days, so thats where the username comes from. Good powers of deduction though!!! Have you done any mods to your t5

BlackBeast
Saturday 25th March 2006, 21:37
Was a good guess though lol. Its strange you say that your cold start up is better when its colder, a knackered battery would show itself when its colder or so i thought. Im stumped, il have to leave this one to somebody more knowledgable. Im sure someone else will be along.

LeeT5
Tuesday 28th March 2006, 23:14
Hi all,

Anyone suffered from rough starting on a 98 v70 t5. Normally takes a long time to fire up (about 5-10secs) and the battery sounds like it is fine. The past two mornings when it has been really cold it has got better????

Mmm, just a hunch but could be your cranksensor playing up....as i understand it, if the ecu doesnt detect a pulse from the cranksensor then it's backup is the camshaft sensor. Tell tale signs are longer cranking b4 starting.

As far as the battery is concerned...dont worry. If it cranks nice and fast then it is NOT the battery. The alternator will only charge once the car is started...should be between 13.5-14.5V.

amphead123
Thursday 30th March 2006, 19:17
Mmm, just a hunch but could be your cranksensor playing up....as i understand it, if the ecu doesnt detect a pulse from the cranksensor then it's backup is the camshaft sensor. Tell tale signs are longer cranking b4 starting.

As far as the battery is concerned...dont worry. If it cranks nice and fast then it is NOT the battery. The alternator will only charge once the car is started...should be between 13.5-14.5V.
Dropped the car back at the dealer as its under warranty, and they seem to think it is the coil. Hopefully will get it back tomorrow, so we shall see