PDA

View Full Version : Jezza reviews the new C70

S60D5
Saturday 25th March 2006, 15:18
Last week research found that only 5% of the countless recipes shown on television each week are ever copied at home by viewers. This is not surprising. You could give me the same ingredients that Gordon Ramsay uses and put me in the same kitchen with the same equipment, and even though we have exactly the same number of hands, fingers and noses I can absolutely guarantee that I’d end up with a plate full of over-salted, inedible mush.

Cooking is like painting. I have a brush and some eyes but everything I try to transpose onto canvas ends up looking like a dog. And it’s the same story with DIY. My toolbox is littered with every conceivable gadget, but if I put something up it’s not straight for a moment, and then it’s on the floor all broken.

Ambition is no substitute for talent. A point I have been proving all week with my new photographic printer.

Being a man, I did not wish to consult those who know about such things. I simply got in the car and drove to PC World, where I bought the most expensive. It’s an Epson Photo RX620 and it doesn’t work.

I selected a picture on the computer, hit print and it came out sideways on an upright piece of paper. So I turned the paper round and tried again. And then again. And then again. This was annoying since a piece of top quality A4 premium glossy photo paper costs more, pound for pound, than gold.

Eventually, though, out came a lovely picture of the family taken by a passer-by on our visit to the Geysir in Iceland last year. Except that’s not right. It looks like a lovely picture on the camera. It looks like a lovely picture on the computer screen. But what came out of my new printer was not lovely at all. It looks like we’ve all been boiled.

I selected a picture on the computer, hit print and it came out sideways on an upright piece of paper. So I turned the paper round and tried again. And then again. And then again. This was annoying since a piece of top quality A4 premium glossy photo paper costs more, pound for pound, than gold

Now I know you can adjust this sort of thing using your mouse and a bit of software. So I bought something called the Corel Paint Shop Pro X version 10. It cost just shy of £60, and it doesn’t work either.

All attempts to correct the redness of our faces resulted in more and more vivid hues until eventually my wife came and read the instruction manual.

It turns out the procedure is simple. You tell the printer what sort of paper you’re using and how big it is. Then you give the information to the computer. Then you say whether you want “landscape” or “portrait”, then you choose the quality level you’re after, then you fix the red eyes, remove the blemishes, have a look at the preview and then, after just 55 minutes or so, out pops the finished product. Which is still crap.

Really and truly, I’m not a bad photographer. I understand about stop and depth of field. I know about composition and fill-in flash. Some of the pictures I’ve got back from Boots over the years have not been bad at all. But the stuff that’s poured from my printer this past week looks like it was taken by someone who was being deliberately stupid, or who was Stevie Wonder.

And there you have it. I have the tools. I have the basic ability. But I lack that certain something, which means I cannot produce the sort of top quality digital pictures that you get from a professional.

And this brings me nicely to the door of the Volvo C70 T5 SE Lux. Possibly the most disappointing car in the history of the universe.

Like so many new cars these days, the Volvo C70 has a hard metal roof that slides electrically into the boot. That sounds great but there is a problem: the boot has to be at least as long as the roof, and because of that no car maker has managed to make a car of this type look right.

Peugeot, Renault and Nissan have made a complete monkey’s breakfast of it, and even Mercedes hasn’t got it quite right with either the SL or the SLK. Both are just too J-Lo chunky at the back.

Jaguar experimented with the idea of a folding hard top for the new XK but resorted to canvas in the end because they simply couldn’t make the styling work.

Volvo, however, has cracked it because the C70 has a roof that folds in half. Swedish flat-pack furniture. And now, a Swedish flat-pack roof. Mind you, it is pretty complicated.

Certainly you should never operate this roof in public because it will cause those in passing cars to lose concentration and crash. And pedestrians to think you’re showing off. But whatever, it means the car looks sensational with the roof up and, dare I say it, even better when it’s down.

Inside, there is plenty of space in the back for adults, although I really can’t recommend putting children back there when the roof’s moving about. They could be sucked into the machinery and never seen again.

In the front, it’s even better. Lots of space. Lots of light. Some genuinely stylish touches and quite the most impressive sound system since Jerry Garcia stopped being grateful and started being dead. It churns out 910 watts. This means you can still hear Whispering Bob Harris even if you’re tooling along, roof down, at 150mph.

This, then, is a car with a sky-high want-one factor. And with prices starting at £26,200 it’s not that expensive either. Even though they charge an extra £25 for a switch to turn the passenger airbag off. How can a switch cost £25 when it isn’t part of a nuclear missile or a space rocket? Whatever, on paper at least, the Volvo looks like a safer, more stylish, more practical and generally better convertible than anything at this level from BMW, Audi or Mercedes. I honestly thought I’d stumbled on a bit of a hidden jewel here.

But I couldn’t help noticing that it had come from Volvo with my own desert island discs in the CD autochanger. Why do that? Could it be a distraction? A musical blanket to shroud some technical problem? Well if it was, it didn’t work because this car felt so weird to drive that after just 200 yards I pulled over to see if I had a puncture.

The steering is absolutely lifeless when you’re going in a straight line and horrid when you’re accelerating, braking or going round a corner. Powerful front-wheel-drive T5 Volvos have always had torque steer but this is something else. This is diabolical.

You can hold onto the wheel if you like, but frankly you may as well hold onto your knees or your passenger for all the good it’ll do.

Eventually I got used to it, in the same way that eventually you can get used to a headache. But I never had the confidence to open up the C70, to see what those 220 brake horse powers could do.

This was properly annoying because Volvo plainly has the ability to make this car work. They have the stylists and the engineers. But they built this car using parts from other, lesser Volvos. You can therefore think of it as supper made by Gordon Ramsay using only ingredients he could get from the 24-hour petrol station.

Volvo is owned by Ford these days and I can’t help imagining what this car would have been like if they’d accessed their daddy’s parts bin. It could have had rear-wheel drive from a Mustang or a Jag. A V8 engine. Some Aston Martin steering. It could have been wonderful.

But it isn’t. Volvo, plainly, has watched a television recipe for making a convertible. And then tried to copy it without going to the shops. Ingenuity got them to the table with something well priced that looks great. But I doubt you’ll want to dig in.

mikezero
Saturday 25th March 2006, 16:20
So he doesn't like it then! lol

marshall_volvo
Saturday 25th March 2006, 16:28
Our master tech drove ours and put it through its paces which he said was not that thrilling to say the least he said his wifes 200k 855 t5 had more power and grunt,ooh and what about the after though aerial on the back quarter?

madness
Saturday 25th March 2006, 22:14
so you havent seen one yet with the shark fin aerial in the middle of the boot lid then!!!
who's stupid idea was that . get the person(s) responsible and :troutslap

lol

After_Shock
Saturday 25th March 2006, 22:33
Here we go, clarkson says a cars crap so everyone follow.

The afterthought aerial is because the new cars have the aerials in the side windows which with this car cant be done if the windows are down the radio wont work, the shark fin only comes on sat nav cars just like the S40's, fortunately this time they dont fit if it doesnt have sat nav.

I drove a hand built one of these around a track and it anihilated the old C70 Cab, I would also say it had more feel than an S60R, brakes wernt as good but it turned in better and behaved better at the limit which was almost impossible to pass.

Typical clarkson, get in a car and floor it, if the bugatti veyron was FWD he would still do the same and complain about torque steer, unfortunately Volvo obviously didnt give him a back hander so it doesnt get a good review. Why would Volvo want to raid other peoples parts bins half of them are crap anyways!

speedswede
Saturday 25th March 2006, 22:40
so you havent seen one yet with the shark fin aerial in the middle of the boot lid then!!!
who's stupid idea was that .

Ah, that would be SAAB's idea, then ;)

http://imgs.idnes.cz/ak_aktual/A040106_SAM_800SAAB93CONVERTIBLE02_N.JPG

Has Volvo been copying their small Swedish rival, again, then? I can not find any photos of the new C70 with a sharkfin?

After_Shock
Saturday 25th March 2006, 22:42
Copying Saab again? Didnt realise Volvo fitted a 30year old interior to there current cars.

speedswede
Saturday 25th March 2006, 22:46
Copying Saab again? Didnt realise Volvo fitted a 30year old interior to there current cars.

To be fair, Saab got that out of an old Vauxhall, not a Volvo.

But Saab did have SAHR before Volvo copied with WHIPS ;)

Andrew
Sunday 26th March 2006, 03:46
I must say I love the look of it - I think the roof is something else though I have yet to drive it. Now I'm not normally a fan of convertables - I think they require too much engineering and unless it's been built from the ground up as a convertable rather than a coupe turned into a convertable then often too many compromises are made.

However I will reserve judgement on this until I have the chance to drive one for myself. Clarkson often talks ££££££££ - he's made a fortune out of it and often, quite often in fact he's wrong so we shall see.

Ac.

Vikingxl
Sunday 26th March 2006, 07:40
Roof does look fantastic but its getting a lot of bad press things dont look good

mikezero
Sunday 26th March 2006, 09:17
I drove a hand built one of these around a track and it anihilated the old C70 Cab, I would also say it had more feel than an S60R, brakes wernt as good but it turned in better and behaved better at the limit which was almost impossible to pass

Thats interesting, need to get myself down the local stealer, get a test drive of the new c70

if u have got the s60r in advanced chassis mode, u can feel every bump, small stone etc

when entering corner, the s60r sends loads power to back wheels to give better turn in, and 4c stops nose dipping into corner, reducing understeer etc, but it doesnt it perfect at cornering! lol

D

Bison
Sunday 26th March 2006, 11:49
I like it.......I mean just look at......

http://www.autoblog.com.es/fotos/volvo/c702.jpg http://www.autoblog.com.es/fotos/volvo/c703.jpg http://www.autoblog.com.es/fotos/volvo/c704.jpg http://www.autoblog.com.es/fotos/volvo/c705.jpg http://www.autoblog.com.es/fotos/volvo/c708.jpg http://www.autoblog.com.es/fotos/volvo/c707.jpg http://www.autoblog.com.es/fotos/volvo/c706.jpg

And the aerial is on the side. Think it looks nice there.

Bison

After_Shock
Sunday 26th March 2006, 18:13
No offence to the S60R its all a bit fake, like driving a car on a PS2.

And how many safety features has volvo invented that Saab hasnt!?

speedswede
Sunday 26th March 2006, 22:44
And how many safety features has volvo invented that Saab hasnt!?

I can only recall one thing: Volvo invented the three-point seatbelt,

...but Saab was the first manufacturer to fit it to production cars as standard :D

Yet I know of eleven things that Saab did before Volvo (or any other car manufacturer):

- Dual-circuit diagonally split braking system
- Headlamp wash/wipe
- Heated seats
- Self-repairing bumpers
- Side impact protection beams in the doors
- Collapsable steering column
- Cabin "pollen" filters to protect allergy sufferers
- Asbestos-free brake pads
- Anti-whiplash head restraints
- CFC-free airconditioning
- Ventilated front seats

Over the years, Saab has innovated and invented many things, but Volvo is percieved as the "safety conscious" Swedish marque.

Volvo certainly is bigger and has the better marketing department than it's little Swedish rival.

HTH :B_steerin

Murphy
Monday 27th March 2006, 09:11
I love the looks of the car, shame the review isn't that great though.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 27th March 2006, 09:40
Funny how his review of the Focus ST wasnt nearly as damning.

lance
Monday 27th March 2006, 10:07
I read clarksons good car bad car guide yesterday and have to say I was absoloutly in stiches, he doesnt like 4 seater convertables only hitler looked good in the back of one!
He probably thinks Volvo should stick to what there best at Estates!!
I personally love the way the New C70 looks, and cant wait to have a go in one, im sure it wont be half as bad as JC makes out.

t5owner
Monday 27th March 2006, 10:19
I read clarksons good car bad car guide yesterday and have to say I was absoloutly in stiches, he doesnt like 4 seater convertables only hitler looked good in the back of one!
He probably thinks Volvo should stick to what there best at Estates!!
I personally love the way the New C70 looks, and cant wait to have a go in one, im sure it wont be half as bad as JC makes out.

I read his guide the week before and he was doing estates and indeed he did include the V70 with the line "Volvo doing what it does best"

Cheers

stuart

speedswede
Monday 27th March 2006, 10:34
Here's what it said last week, when Jezza nominated the V70 as the third best estate car.

“Jerry from The Good Life drove a Volvo. So did Lovejoy. And so did Simon Templar, aka the Saint. These are good reasons not to buy one. However, now that Volvo is a cog in the Ford empire it is trying to shed its middle England image for something more zingy. And by and large it’s succeeding. The V70, however, shows that at heart the Swedes still like to build very traditional, very safe and very large estates. You’d be surprised how good this car is. And if you stop and look, how handsome it is as well.”

Clarkson’s verdict: “Everything a Volvo should be - and good looking too.”

The key to Jezza is that he is deliberately provocative in order to stimulate debate, he is often wrong, he often admits he is wrong and he is an entertaining bloke. Some people make the mistake of taking what he says too seriously - and then they get upset at what he says. Let's face it, is there any other better motoring related programme anywhere in the world that is superior to Top Gear? No. And that's largely because of Big J. ;)

Mrsmopp
Monday 27th March 2006, 10:43
Let's face it, is there any other better motoring related programme anywhere in the world that is superior to Top Gear? No. And that's largely because of Big J. ;)

I hate to say it but I have really gone off Top Gear of late (even tho Richard Hammond presents it) yes the 3 of them make a good team, and yes they are a funny bunch but I dont find many of their "reviews" relevant these days, its not informative, and their opinion counts for very little in my eyes.

Time to rewrite the script!

x

Murphy
Monday 27th March 2006, 10:53
I think that is the point MrsM. If you want a review, and something more factual there are plenty of other programmes out there that cover it. 5th gear is one and driven is it ?!!? Anyway, the point of Top Gear is written in the style of a entertainment show based on cars. I think it is spot on for entertainment, and I do read Clarkson's Times motoring section as I like the bloke, but each to there own I suppose.

pyrotechnictigger
Monday 27th March 2006, 10:56
I think he is superb. Column in the Sunday Times is always deliberately OTT and at times utterly ridiculous but always a good laugh. He got this dead right though about the new Alfa 159:

Apart from a silly on cruise control (It's the second time he has said that a car has frightened him because he can't find the off button- IT'S THE BIG MIDDLE PEDAL)
He finished with ..."It's an absolute gem"
but has this lovely bit...
"If you have even the faintest trace of petrol in you veins, if you are even on nodding terms with the concept of good simple engineering, you should drive this car. Because it doesn't matter what you have now, you'll be smitten. I was."
and...
"It's exactly one million times better looking than a BMW 3 Series"

lance
Monday 27th March 2006, 11:11
It would be good to see some 80s and 90s re runs of the show, it did at 1 time seem more factual, However like Murphy there are other shows out there that are.
I love JC sarcasim humour and would love to him review Toyota Yaris Estate (Dwaff Hurse) or for instance Murphys smart cart, or 1 of our torque steering beasts. JC thinks around 200bhp to be the limit really for front wheel drive, I would love to see him drive a stage 2 rica, I doubt he would publically admit that torque steer and front wheel drive spin is fun, even though most of us know it is.
Generally I would to see more motoring programs on television, theres never enough even low budget stuff on!

Murphy
Monday 27th March 2006, 11:20
Murphys smart car!

He did review it. The one criticism IIRC was the initial purchase price.

V6 Brabus review (http://www.technibods.co.uk/maniacs/Roadster.wmv). The engine never made production but the car did hey viking ;)

What car review (http://www.whatcar.com/car-review-video.aspx?RT=477)

5th Gear review (http://fifthgear.five.tv/jsp/5gmain.jsp?lnk=901&id=10&description=Smart%20Roads ter)

Top gear review (http://www.smartmaniacs.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=28854&page=5&highlight=topgear)

speedswede
Monday 27th March 2006, 11:39
It would be good to see some 80s and 90s re runs of the show, it did at 1 time seem more factual,
Lance, do a search on google videos - I found one recently on there with Clarkson doing a review at an autojumble. He must have been in his late 20s and did not come across well.

If you review a 1980s episode of Top Gear now, you will find that the presentation from the likes of William Woollard, Chris Goffey and the like is quite wooden and the show itself is only marginally interested because it has some cars in it.

In hindsight, Jane Root (controller of BBC2 at the time) made the right decision when she ditched the original Top Gear format in around 2000 (IIRC?)

As for Channel 4 "Driven" - this is no longer in production, and you have the Channel 5 "Fifth Gear" which features old format Top Gear presenters trying to emulate the new Top Gear format but not doing it very well, IMO.

As for Men & Motors channel - apart from re-runs of The Professionals and Minder, there seems to be precious little motoring content. The shows that are motoring led, like Used Car Roadshow, are again quite wooden and not very interesting, IMO.

But, each to their own. I appreciate some people don't like JC and the new TG format.

Goof
Monday 27th March 2006, 11:55
I think that is the point MrsM. If you want a review, and something more factual there are plenty of other programmes out there that cover it. 5th gear is one and driven is it ?!!? Anyway, the point of Top Gear is written in the style of a entertainment show based on cars. I think it is spot on for entertainment, and I do read Clarkson's Times motoring section as I like the bloke, but each to there own I suppose.
Exactly Murphy.
Some tend to forget that the idea of television is primarily entertainment!!!

Personally I like the whole TG programme - it takes the pompous stuffyness out of car attitudes. i.e. - if it's crap, then why not say so!
Just because it's made by BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, Ford, ... ... doesn't make the best thing since sliced bread.

"Porsche Boxster S - really says that you can't afford a 911" - loved it! :troutslap

Wobbly Dave
Monday 27th March 2006, 12:00
Fifth Gear review of C70 CC
http://fifthgear.five.tv/jsp/5gmain.jsp?lnk=201&model=1065

what car -
http://www.whatcar.com/car-review-summary.aspx?NEW_USED=1&MA_TYPE=1&MA=45&RT=758

Murph...we'd all have to join the smartthingys forum to read the review of your new motor - cant be arsed.

Goof
Monday 27th March 2006, 12:27
"It's partly based on a Ford Focus - so that's a good start." - which part???
;)

After_Shock
Monday 27th March 2006, 13:14
Goof think he means the suspension and chassis, which cant complain about and there modified sufficiently from the std Ford bits anyways.

speedswede unfortunately im away at the moment and both suffering from heavy exposure to the sun and excessive drink so I cant reel off a list of what Volvo has invented over the years but I will certainly find out for you when I get back. 'Volvo has a good marketing department' very wrong unfortunately as there marketing department is crap and dont shout about safety at all, people perceive a renualt clio as being the safest things on the roads now simply because they get 5 stars in NCAP which is a load of crap anyways.

Saabs are very safe cars and I have no problems with them, would love a 9-3 as think its one of the best looking cars on the road today, but still its not as safe as a Volvo or in many cases as reliable since GM took over.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 27th March 2006, 16:38
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=209

Interesting angle?

speedswede
Monday 27th March 2006, 17:14
... I cant reel off a list of what Volvo has invented over the years but I will certainly find out for you when I get back.

Many thanks, I look forward to learning more about Volvo :)

Saabs are very safe cars and I have no problems with them, would love a 9-3 as think its one of the best looking cars on the road today, but still its not as safe as a Volvo or in many cases as reliable since GM took over.

Saab was the first to achieve 5-star ratings with EuroNCAP. I agree that this is not necessarily the measure of a safe car. Volvo does its own real life accident studies in Sweden. ...but so does Saab. Folksam is a Swedish insurer that consistently rates Saabs as safer based on real life studies. There is no doubting that both Saab and Volvo are amongst the safest cars on the road ...but it will all depend on the type of crash. Renualt appears to be good at making cars that achieve good ratings in EuroNCAP tests.

I do agree with you that they are not as reliable since GM took over. They are amongst the worst marques for reliability with average warranty costs amongst the highest.

After_Shock
Tuesday 28th March 2006, 01:24
It is a shame the way saab has gone with reliability, and its sad to say that Ford apears to be doing a better job with Volvo than GM with Saab considering neither GM nor Ford have any real cash to do anything with either.

Ncap is a pile of crap to be fair, its five individual tests which it isnt exactly hard to engineer a car to pass those tests.

From the crash tests ive seen both NCAP and not the Saab 9-5 has done very well but not matched the S60/V70 range and the 9-3 has taken a step back in terms of safety, both makes are no doubt ahead of everyone else but unfortunate to say GM has never shouted about safety in Saab's and so appears to be getting rid of the safety they had as yet another cost cutting exercise.