PDA

View Full Version : Slick 50 Fuel System treatment

Martinr
Friday 24th March 2006, 10:09
Quick question.

Anybody used this? If so thoughts please.

Thanks

Wobbly Dave
Friday 24th March 2006, 10:42
I've heard some real horror stories about Slick 50 but I think that was the engine/oil treatment. Why do you feel it needs it? Would have to be careful about stripping all the gunk of the bottom of the fuel tank.
When did you last change your fuel filter?

mat562be
Friday 24th March 2006, 11:21
Quick question.

Anybody used this? If so thoughts please.

Thanks

Yes. seemed to work well, although all the fuel treatments (STP, Wynn and RedLine Si-1) seem to work well.

My choice is the Redline Si-1.

Incidentally, the Slick 50 engine/oil additive contains PTFE which is sometimes frowned on, particularly for turbocharged cars since it can cause mishaps due to the high temperatures. I too have heard horror stories..

Martinr
Friday 24th March 2006, 11:21
Had a problem the other day when owing to a closed garage I ended up running out of fuel. :slap: This despite the trip computer saying I had 35 miles left in the tank.

Took an unwise decision to pass on filling with Total unleaded and carry on to a Shell station. When I got to it I found the place under reconstruction. Not a happy chappy! Headed towards home with the view of finding another service station when the car gave up on me on an incline. Regretted having a bit of fun with a Porsche on the dual carriageway earlier at this point.

Running OK again now and car shows no ill effects.

I have never changed the fuel filter. Understood this can be tricky.

I was given the fuel treatment and was wondering if it might give me some improvements.

craig
Friday 24th March 2006, 22:36
where is the fuel filter anyway?

Wobbly Dave
Friday 24th March 2006, 22:58
Fuel filter is a 4" cylinder slung under the offside of the car, just a foot or two infront of the rear wheel. You need to beg/borrow/steal the proper tool to undo the push on clips that attach the fuel lines. I did the change on my 850R a while back. 70 series and 850s are all the same in this respect. I have access to these "pliers". I highly recommend that you dont attempt the change without the proper tools.

marshall_volvo
Saturday 25th March 2006, 11:51
Fuel Treatments Sometimes Remove To Much Carbon Out The Head I.e Around The Valves Be Carefull

nobananas
Saturday 25th March 2006, 20:51
The amount of thick black poo I've poured out of fuel filters over the years through lack of replacement would frighten you. If you don't feel confident changing the filter yourself pay a garage 15 quid to do it for you, it's a 10 minute job on a ramp !