PDA

View Full Version : Whats this hole??

fraz13
Wednesday 22nd March 2006, 23:47
A few weeks ago I was sitting at a set of lights when I spotted smoke rising from inbetween ma windscreen and bonnet, then a puff came through the middle air vents and it was stinking of burning oil.....

A pulled over as soon as a could and checked oil level and looked for leaks around the engine....

Anyhoo there was nothing to see at all, the engines really dry so its got me stumped...

Anyhoo this has happened a few times now so today when it was in for new brakes a got them to check it over, Up the back of the engine nearly at the top there was 1 small drip coming from the rocker cover area, We took off the spark plug cover and there was small pools of oil sitting in the wee grooves, so these were dried off and we were wondering what the hole was arrowed?? Is it just a breather?? Thats where the oil was coming from anyhoo

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v458/fraz13/HPIM2261.jpg

LeeT5
Thursday 23rd March 2006, 00:28
A few weeks ago I was sitting at a set of lights when I spotted smoke rising from inbetween ma windscreen and bonnet, then a puff came through the middle air vents and it was stinking of burning oil.....

A pulled over as soon as a could and checked oil level and looked for leaks around the engine....

Anyhoo there was nothing to see at all, the engines really dry so its got me stumped...

Anyhoo this has happened a few times now so today when it was in for new brakes a got them to check it over, Up the back of the engine nearly at the top there was 1 small drip coming from the rocker cover area, We took off the spark plug cover and there was small pools of oil sitting in the wee grooves, so these were dried off and we were wondering what the hole was arrowed?? Is it just a breather?? Thats where the oil was coming from anyhoo

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v458/fraz13/HPIM2261.jpg

Not sure what it is but i dont think it's a breather hole. If i was you i would ask the dealer, looks like it should have a bung in it. There wouldnt be a breather hole under the plug cover thats for sure.

racer
Thursday 23rd March 2006, 07:15
I too would like to know the purpose of this hole. My engine looks exactly the same, as did the last one. The last one, you may remember, did 5 litres of oil per tank of fuel and there was a LOT of oil under the plug cover. I thought it was coming out of the PCV pipe, though this hole did make me wonder at the time. Mr Haynes is not informative on the subject. :(

TwistedSanity
Thursday 23rd March 2006, 08:02
i had the oil guzzling/smell of smoke and puddles under the spark plug cover, turns out that the breather hose to the side of the oil filler in the picture wasnt pushed on properly, tapped it on with a screwdriver and so far so good!!

Justin
Thursday 23rd March 2006, 08:20
I think you have a development engine in your Fraz, Adam knows more about it :)

MattB
Thursday 23rd March 2006, 08:22
i had the oil guzzling/smell of smoke and puddles under the spark plug cover, turns out that the breather hose to the side of the oil filler in the picture wasnt pushed on properly, tapped it on with a screwdriver and so far so good!!
Me too with this one - replaced oil cap seal = +/- 50p and made sure breather hose was put back properly when I did my PCV. So far, so good. Must admit - I've never had the puffs of smoke through the dash though Fraz - sorry mate, not sure on this one?? :confused:

madness
Thursday 23rd March 2006, 09:09
isnt it blocked off when you look down?

i think t5tart has an oil leak from there and i looked at it but we found it is just sealed by liquid gasket when the carrier section of the head goes on. the sealant must have broken on yours as well

fraz13
Thursday 23rd March 2006, 09:10
Ok guys thanx ;) The hole in question was full of oil before it was cleaned out so thinking it must have came from there, I'll wait till Adam has a wee look at the pic and hope he can shed some light, Untill then I'll just keep it oil free lol

Other thing is how could the puff of smoke have got into the airvents? It was stinking and happened instantly after the smoke came up from the engine bay??? Where is the bit that the fresh air comes in?

madness
Thursday 23rd March 2006, 09:11
sucked in thru the vents intake fraz.

t5tart's had oil in the recess as well.
thats what it is on your's then

fraz13
Thursday 23rd March 2006, 09:13
Cool so where is the vents intake?

So theres a seal missing?

Martinr
Thursday 23rd March 2006, 11:11
This is the air intake, also where the pollen filter is located. Looks dirtier than it was in reality :)

fraz13
Thursday 23rd March 2006, 11:13
Cheers 4 that Martin, I'll go have a wee look now ;)

Martinr
Thursday 23rd March 2006, 11:17
Hope you can make out the location. That is the strut brace just visible. On mine there is a drain pipe coming off the plastic that fouls the brace restricting access a bit. I see you have one fitted as well so take care

madness
Thursday 23rd March 2006, 11:18
what i meant regarding the leak itself is when the cam carrier section (top part of the head) goes on it has liquid gasket to seal it. there is no seperate seal for that hole, so it is a bit of a mission to do. belt off etc

Engineer
Thursday 23rd March 2006, 17:27
I think you have a development engine in your Fraz, Adam knows more about it :)A bit late by the sound of it guys but if it's any help on sisters head Fraz it's a blank channel, no chance of any oil coming that way.

madness
Thursday 23rd March 2006, 17:29
the blank you can see is the lower part of the head, oil comes out at the bottom