PDA

View Full Version : T5 struggles to start

Tonyaztec
Wednesday 22nd March 2006, 20:20
Hi I have just fitted a replacement engine to my 850 T5 but since this im having trouble starting the engine , I have fitted a small lamp to the coil low tention side and have found that there is no pulse going to it. After a while the coil will spring into life and the car runs perfect, I have changed the coil also the rpm sensor and the cam sensor and the computer shows no faults,
now im completely lost PLEASE can anyone help me.

Tony

Tomcat
Wednesday 22nd March 2006, 23:09
Does it turn over?, if it does do you have a spark?, check to make sure the earth connections are clean and secure, a bad earth can cause all sorts of problems. Failing that, go through all the electrical connections again to make sure everything is connected as it should be.

pyrotechnictigger
Wednesday 22nd March 2006, 23:14
I have found that most electrical starting problems normally point to a knackered battery..........

LeeT5
Thursday 23rd March 2006, 00:49
I have found that most electrical starting problems normally point to a knackered battery..........

If it cranks over then it is not the battery. However, get some one to crank it and check for 1) a spark immediately on crank and 2) switching at the injectors. You will need a noid light or LED tester for this. If you dont have one or both of the above on IMMEDIATE crank but then after a few seconds they appear then it is lightly to be crank sensor or camshaft sensor.

If you do have both then it can only be fuel pressure related or (are you touching the throttle on crank and causing it to flood??)

To test fuel pressure you will need an AMP clamp, 20amp fuse, some wire, 2x female connectors, 2x male connectors. :B_blite: Ready....

cut two lengths of wire 2" long. Splice both ends and connect the female and male connectors, 1 male and 1 female to each bit of wire. Then connect the 20amp fuse to each female connector. That will leave two male connectors at the end of each piece of wire....pull out fuel pump fuse (engine switched off) and replace with the two male connectors. Then take your amp clamp and place it through the loop of wire. Immobilise engine (remove plug to the module under the coil or pull off coil lead) ...crank engine..... you should get a reading of between 5 - 8 amps. Anything less than 5 is not enough and the pump is either open circuit or seizing up, anything more than 8 amps and the tank has no fuel in it!!

Hope this helps...PM me if you dont get it. Trust me, the above tests are simple and will eliminate most things that cause a non start situation.

One thing, if you dont get a spark or switching then check for a live to the injectors - use an LED tester (better results). If no live then it will be an earth fault or worst case ECU related.....

PS - GOOD LUCK.

Justin
Thursday 23rd March 2006, 08:22
99% Earth problem mate :)

Babybadger
Monday 27th March 2006, 13:06
good bit of vaseline on the terminals of the battery, and check the connections are tight. Should be holding 13V or so when running. If it is 11.5V or under replace it, and check alternator output and all wiring going to it is tight.

TwistedSanity
Monday 27th March 2006, 15:44
Mine turned over fairly well but was a ££££e to start-new battery solved the problem

mafro_t5
Saturday 3rd July 2010, 20:57
i had the same problem with mine twice and both times it turned out to be the starter motor causing the prob. It was the 12v terminal i must of over tighten it when replace my engine the first time the terminal had and spun around inside causing bad connection.

claymore
Saturday 3rd July 2010, 21:01
WAW, talk about thread reasurection...lol

t5 stealth
Saturday 3rd July 2010, 21:24
Hi I have just fitted a replacement engine to my 850 T5 but since this im having trouble starting the engine , I have fitted a small lamp to the coil low tention side and have found that there is no pulse going to it. After a while the coil will spring into life and the car runs perfect, I have changed the coil also the rpm sensor and the cam sensor and the computer shows no faults,
now im completely lost PLEASE can anyone help me.

Tony

possible crank sensor slow to trigger as the coil is triggerd by the crank sensor........
as mentioned......check for a spark as soon as the engine is cranked....
if it dont spark immediatly then you need to check further back...
ie crank sensor,or ignition module...

claymore
Saturday 3rd July 2010, 21:27
possible crank sensor slow to trigger as the coil is triggerd by the crank sensor........
as mentioned......check for a spark as soon as the engine is cranked....
if it dont spark immediatly then you need to check further back...
ie crank sensor,or ignition module...

LOL.... look at the date of the original post. if he hasn't sorted it by now, thers no hope...lol

t5 stealth
Saturday 3rd July 2010, 21:31
LOL.... look at the date of the original post. if he hasn't sorted it by now, thers no hope...lol

lol i dont look at the dates lol....
oh well.....hopefully its sorted lol

t5 stealth
Saturday 3rd July 2010, 21:31
who the hell re-opened that thread then lol

claymore
Saturday 3rd July 2010, 21:33
new member, first post...lol