PDA

View Full Version : OBD2 port faulty?

neevo
Wednesday 22nd March 2006, 19:41
Got myself an usb2-osb2 dongle to reset codes etc but I cannot connect. I get a connect light on the PC side of the dongle but no light on the car side.

Does anyone know a way of testing the port or otherwise have any suggestion of what to look for please? The car seems to have had a few faults when I bought it one being that the port itself is loose in its' socket but the wires look firmly attached.

The dongle is recognised by the PC on setting up the drivers so I am siding with a dodgy osb2 port.

Thanks

BlackBeast
Wednesday 22nd March 2006, 19:44
Do you have the ignition in the 'on' position when your trying to get your pc to talk to the obd port?

GATHY
Wednesday 22nd March 2006, 19:49
if your cars obd2 ive got one of those budget version with lcd display on
you can always pop round and give it a try if your stuck worked on my s60 d5 and s40 t4 both 2001 models
shame i didnt have any faults but hey got to be prepared
im in harehills in most of the day as im sick at the moment (sick of work that is)
give me chance to smell a volvo again is ive just sold the d5

neevo
Wednesday 22nd March 2006, 21:37
Thanks GATHY that would be good. pm sent, oh and yes, it's an obd2 port.

Blackbeast, I've tried it with the ignition on; off; and with the engine running, that's when I ran out of ideas and cried for help! Thanks.

splatt
Thursday 23rd March 2006, 16:45
you dont say what you drive (or am I blind? LOL)
This is a major factor in OBD

neevo
Thursday 23rd March 2006, 18:47
you dont say what you drive (or am I blind? LOL)
This is a major factor in OBD

What do you mean you don't know what I drive? I know so you must surely know!

Sorry, it's an 850 T5 1996, any suggestions would be appreciated. I was wondering if it's to do with my settings ie baud rate com port (currently set to com4) etc. Tried some options on the palm but gave up when the bosses started to wonder where I'd wandered off to. I checked the diag fuse too and that is ok. Hopefully I can get to test the port with Gathys' dongle this weekend.

Andrew
Thursday 23rd March 2006, 18:59
The connection is probably something fundamental like the car needs to be running or the port speed is set incorrect on the PC.

However another issue is the 96 850 isn't fully OBDII compatible so I doubt you'll get much luck anyway. I had problems with my 96 850 too - although I did get some basic information from it.

Andrew.

neevo
Friday 24th March 2006, 08:47
The connection is probably something fundamental like the car needs to be running or the port speed is set incorrect on the PC.

However another issue is the 96 850 isn't fully OBDII compatible so I doubt you'll get much luck anyway. I had problems with my 96 850 too - although I did get some basic information from it.

Andrew.

Just my luck with this car, something else that's not going right :(

Thaks for the info, Andrew.