PDA

View Full Version : Thermostat needs changing soon and fluid flush.....which thermostat

Babybadger
Tuesday 21st March 2006, 16:23
Well I just read this thread as I am thinking of changing the thermostat and fluid change as it doesn't loose water, but the temp guage goes between 4 oclock and 2-30 depending on outside temperature , speed or traffic.

The proble being is there are two different types of thermostat as I have read here .......

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/chat/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=17828#17828

Can you stil get 87°C thermostats as opposed to the 90°C ones?

Phuturephantasy
Tuesday 21st March 2006, 16:33
I've just changed mine (about 4 days ago) and I put a 90 In from my local Volvo dealer and it sits at a needlewidth above mid-way steady as a rock.

Before that it was up and down between midway and 1/3 of the way up.

I can't imagine that 3 degrees would make that much difference, Volvo obviously didn't think so either.

stuAWD
Tuesday 21st March 2006, 16:35
Your temp guage should be steady whichever stat you use, providing the stat is in good condition. Hope this helps.

Babybadger
Tuesday 21st March 2006, 16:46
Your temp guage should be steady whichever stat you use, providing the stat is in good condition. Hope this helps.

Does the coolant change not matter then?

Andrew
Tuesday 21st March 2006, 16:53

It's always good to change your coolant every now and then :)

stuAWD
Tuesday 21st March 2006, 16:56
You might as well do a coolant change, your goin to have to do a part drain down anyway to change the stat.

Babybadger
Tuesday 21st March 2006, 16:57
You might as well do a coolant change, your goin to have to do a part drain down anyway to change the stat.

How much do they take in litres? for a full drain?

stuAWD
Tuesday 21st March 2006, 17:00
How much do they take in litres? for a full drain?
Simple answer, dont know, and I don't want to go out to the garage to get the hanbook. If nobody gives you answer, i will do it later.

Babybadger
Tuesday 21st March 2006, 17:17
Simple answer, dont know, and I don't want to go out to the garage to get the hanbook. If nobody gives you answer, i will do it later.

Many thanks.

Jod T5
Tuesday 21st March 2006, 17:24
BB The 850 turbos take 7 litre of 50/50 antifreeze to water capacity. :)

Babybadger
Tuesday 21st March 2006, 17:28
BB The 850 turbos take 7 litre of 50/50 antifreeze to water capacity. :)

Many thanks for that.

BTW the part number for the 87°C thermo is 271417 made by wahler of germany.

stuAWD
Tuesday 21st March 2006, 17:57
BTW your lucky, it sounds as if your stat has stuck in the open position, mine stuck in the closed position, you shuoldav seen temp gauge go up an up an up.

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 21st March 2006, 19:35
Your Thermostat sits at the front left of you engine. I reckon If you're carefull you could change the stat with only a bit of loss in the system...

MattB
Tuesday 21st March 2006, 20:19
I change mine last summer to an 87degree thermo. I did it as I was concerned that the needle was sitting just above half way. I have since found out that this is normal for some cars - also the thermo change did not alter this either :slap: . Did not drain thermo - lost approx 1/2 pint of coolant. Job took 30 mins.

Click Me for a Thermostat Change 'How To' (http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4260&highlight=thermostat)

VolvoT5
Wednesday 22nd March 2006, 05:07
Hi everybody,

Sort of related issue.

Just replaced my heater matrix and refilled with coolent. Now when the engine starts to get up to temp, the coolent pushes past the header tank cap?

Any ideas why?

Jod T5
Wednesday 22nd March 2006, 06:04
Hi everybody,

Sort of related issue.

Just replaced my heater matrix and refilled with coolent. Now when the engine starts to get up to temp, the coolent pushes past the header tank cap?

Any ideas why?
are you sure you bled the system correctly, the only reasons the water should come out the header tank is if air is forcing it to do so (or its boiling) ..having never replaced the matrix i would not know but i would assume a fair amount of bleeding would be necessary....a right bleeding pain.....lol

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 22nd March 2006, 09:20
Expansion tank caps can split. Or the seal can degrade - check and replace as necessary.

The air would normally work its way out of the system?

Jod T5
Wednesday 22nd March 2006, 16:26
The air would normally work its way out of the system?
yes dave one would have thought so but if it was not leaking before the flush and refil i would be inclined to think that part of the system maybe suffering from a air lock of some sort. i do agree tho a new cap is the place to start...if this proves unsucessful and the bleeding has been done im afraid it time to test the system for traces of contamination.... :jaw: