PDA

View Full Version : Top engine mount

marshall_volvo
Monday 20th March 2006, 21:51
I had a chat to our master tech today about the top engine mount (i.e one that comes from the bulkhead towards the rockercover) i asked him about the genuine volvo bush and powerflex bush as he has a 2.5 20v and a t5 estate,his reply "dont fit a powerflex bush,because it is designd to crumple in a crash with a powerflex bush it makes it to rigid and pushes the mount through into the cabin in hard impacts plus you get to much judder and vibration through a powerflex bush over the standard volvo bush"
just thought i would share this with you all but it is upto owners choice personally if i buy a T5 i will replace it with a genuine volvo part

marshall_volvo
Monday 20th March 2006, 22:04
Does anybody notivce the difference between the standard item and a powerflex bush please let us know

Babybadger
Tuesday 21st March 2006, 15:40
Does anybody notivce the difference between the standard item and a powerflex bush please let us know

http://www.polyurethanebushes.com/product_info.php/cPath/131_135/products_id/362

The Poly bush consists of 2 bushes and a retaining bush to stop the bolt tightening on the bush and to help retain shape of the polybush.

The volvo one consists of an outer hardened plastic ring with a rubber inner and two rubber arms that hold the retaining bush but are prone to shearing due to the excess torque steer of the engine

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/images/eng_mount_orig.jpg

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/images/eng_mount_out.jpg

The best suggestion would be for volvo to make a Poly/Viscous mix bush or Poly/Hydraulic mix where the polybush sits as usual and the inner retaining bush is made with a hydraulic suspension to absorb most of the noise. A quick fix would be to put h/duty nylon washers either side of the metal retaining bush. This should absorb most of the sound.

The downside to the poly bush kit at present is that the retaining bush is flush to the retaining bolt and nut and the fact that it is metal against metal is where the cabin noise comes from. But the plus is there is no give in the bush as there are no 'rubber arms'.

You only have to ask yourself , how many volvo DIYers have ordered that part from you in the last 5 years?

Straker
Tuesday 21st March 2006, 15:50
I had a chat to our master tech today about the top engine mount (i.e one that comes from the bulkhead towards the rockercover) i asked him about the genuine volvo bush and powerflex bush as he has a 2.5 20v and a t5 estate,his reply "dont fit a powerflex bush,because it is designd to crumple in a crash with a powerflex bush it makes it to rigid and pushes the mount through into the cabin in hard impacts plus you get to much judder and vibration through a powerflex bush over the standard volvo bush"
just thought i would share this with you all but it is upto owners choice personally if i buy a T5 i will replace it with a genuine volvo part

I suspect the arm that come from the bulkhead is designed to crumple not the bush itself. Even if it did crumple there must only be about 40-50mm of space whereas the arm is 250mm long. Besides in the in unlikey event of it entering the cabin you have go to get through 300mm plus of instrument pannel the other side of the bulk head.

As a mechanical engineer working in the autoindustry I would have no worries about fitting a poly bush and have done on my car. If the impact to the front of the car is sever enough to push the engine into the bulkhead you have more important things to worry about.

As for the vibration you get more start up and shut of shake but once the engine is running you don't notice the differance.

Engineer
Tuesday 21st March 2006, 16:45
I suspect the arm that come from the bulkhead is designed to crumple not the bush itself. Even if it did crumple there must only be about 40-50mm of space whereas the arm is 250mm long. Besides in the in unlikey event of it entering the cabin you have go to get through 300mm plus of instrument pannel the other side of the bulk head.

As a mechanical engineer working in the autoindustry I would have no worries about fitting a poly bush and have done on my car. If the impact to the front of the car is sever enough to push the engine into the bulkhead you have more important things to worry about.

As for the vibration you get more start up and shut of shake but once the engine is running you don't notice the differance.Spot on mate apart from the nice 5 pot roar when running IMHO.

Straker
Tuesday 21st March 2006, 18:39
Spot on mate apart from the nice 5 pot roar when running IMHO.

And the nice 5 pot roar ;-)

arbee
Tuesday 21st March 2006, 19:12
And the nice 5 pot roar ;-)

Was thinking bout this mod myself, completely forgot to do a comparison test at the North Weald meet. :troutslap Will have to next time!

Straker
Tuesday 21st March 2006, 19:47
Was thinking bout this mod myself, completely forgot to do a comparison test at the North Weald meet. :troutslap Will have to next time!

Have a go in mine if you want, I have just done my brakes and want to try the pedal feel in someone elses car just to make sure I have got all the air out LOL.

Engineer
Tuesday 21st March 2006, 19:51
Have a go in mine if you want, I have just done my brakes and want to try the pedal feel in someone elses car just to make sure I have got all the air out LOL.Don't wear a seat belt hit the brakes "hard" and if you don't hit the steering wheel with your head they are c--p mate! :drunk:

Straker
Tuesday 21st March 2006, 20:02
Don't wear a seat belt hit the brakes "hard" and if you don't hit the steering wheel with your head they are c--p mate! :drunk:

They are definately better than that :troutslap

However my benchmark at the moment is an unladen Transit from work. With nothing in the back you just have to sneeze on the pedal and you are through the windscreen. Now those are good brakes :B_blite:

dicky b t5
Tuesday 21st March 2006, 20:55
Another Talbot could be arranged in the next 2-3 weeks.....Fancy it..!

arbee
Tuesday 21st March 2006, 22:09
Another Talbot could be arranged in the next 2-3 weeks.....Fancy it..!

yeah, will have to be a bit longer tho - in the USA in a week and a half for 2 weeks. :P) Maybe the 23rd April ish?

LeeT5
Wednesday 22nd March 2006, 00:23
As said, harsher vibration on start up and switch off but once running all i ok. Best bit is the 5 pot growl that you get......AWESOME!!!

BlackBeast
Wednesday 22nd March 2006, 00:57
Im going to wait for a Delrin version instead :)