PDA

View Full Version : Engine Poly Top Mounts

racer
Sunday 19th March 2006, 00:25
Replaced the PCV hoses today, and whilst I had the engine sat there without an airbox or inlet manifold in the way, decided to take my poly bush out of it's box (where it's been sat for ages!) and put it on the car.

I've read about all the grief people have had fitting these, so I had a good ponder before starting.

Cracked it.

It all depends on step 1. Step 1 is:- remove the whole bracket from the engine. Once you've done this the whole operation becomes as easy as falling off a log. Stick the bracket in a vice with the bush vertical and off you go. The old mount can be knocked out with a drift applied at 120 degree intervals, takes about 1 min. Smear the inside with something slippy (molygrease in my case), and the 2 new halves can be located by hand. Take the whole thing out of the vice, stick the two halves between the jaws and wind the vice shut to push them together. Open the vice again, stuff the steel tube in, then push it home in the vice.

Job done in under 5 mins. OK, it probably takes 5 mins to get the bracket off and another 5 mins to refit it, but it's a lot easier to swap the bushes over without an engine attached to the bracket. Only thing to watch out for is the cam position sensor. Unplug the connector for this first as the cable from the sensor runs through the bracket. You do need to take the airbox out to do this, but that's a trivial task.

Hope that saves someone some time in the future!

Babybadger
Monday 20th March 2006, 13:33
Replaced the PCV hoses today, and whilst I had the engine sat there without an airbox or inlet manifold in the way, decided to take my poly bush out of it's box (where it's been sat for ages!) and put it on the car.

I've read about all the grief people have had fitting these, so I had a good ponder before starting.

Cracked it.

It all depends on step 1. Step 1 is:- remove the whole bracket from the engine. Once you've done this the whole operation becomes as easy as falling off a log. Stick the bracket in a vice with the bush vertical and off you go. The old mount can be knocked out with a drift applied at 120 degree intervals, takes about 1 min. Smear the inside with something slippy (molygrease in my case), and the 2 new halves can be located by hand. Take the whole thing out of the vice, stick the two halves between the jaws and wind the vice shut to push them together. Open the vice again, stuff the steel tube in, then push it home in the vice.

Job done in under 5 mins. OK, it probably takes 5 mins to get the bracket off and another 5 mins to refit it, but it's a lot easier to swap the bushes over without an engine attached to the bracket. Only thing to watch out for is the cam position sensor. Unplug the connector for this first as the cable from the sensor runs through the bracket. You do need to take the airbox out to do this, but that's a trivial task.

Hope that saves someone some time in the future!

Yep
1) you need a vice
2) You need to remove the scuttle , or loosen to get access to the bracket bolt.
3) you need to get the bracket off, couldn't shift the bolt on mine.
4) Or.........you can easily do it with 2 2-3 inch washers with a 10mm hole and an m8 bolt and nut and some careful turning!

Vikingxl
Monday 20th March 2006, 14:01
Or just pay someone else to do it!

racer
Monday 20th March 2006, 20:16
1) you need a vice
Yup.

2) You need to remove the scuttle , or loosen to get access to the bracket bolt.
I didn't.

3) you need to get the bracket off, couldn't shift the bolt on mine.
There's 3 bolts holding it to the block. 14mm hex heads and they didn't put up much of a fight when threatened with the socket set.

We on about the same bracket here? I took the thing the poly mount fits into off the engine. This is a V70 phase 1, but I didn't think there was much difference.

The VikingT5 solution has a lot going for it in this weather!