PDA

View Full Version : Mending split bumpers

Tomcat
Saturday 18th March 2006, 21:12
Does anybody know how to repair a split in a plastic bumper?, I've tried melting it back together with a soldering iron but although it seems to melt it I can't get it to stay together. I've also tried super glue and this works briefly but has no strength and breaks easily, I'm out of ideas.....anyone????

siamblue
Saturday 18th March 2006, 23:10
Does anybody know how to repair a split in a plastic bumper?, I've tried melting it back together with a soldering iron but although it seems to melt it I can't get it to stay together. I've also tried super glue and this works briefly but has no strength and breaks easily, I'm out of ideas.....anyone????

TC Fibreglass the back of it, then you can touch up the front when it has dried out.

Gary.

The Flying Banana
Saturday 18th March 2006, 23:31

You shoul dlook in local rags for a place who does plastic welding, they will insert a piece of plastic and ' fuse' it to either side of the split then will allow the weld to be dressed and finished off..other that that do as Siam sais, rough up the inside, cover the area with a fiber glass mat and then apply the resin .. you shoul dhave at least 3 inches on each side of the split.

Tomcat
Saturday 18th March 2006, 23:54
I thought about fibreglass(after all I have enough of it lol), but I wanted a neater way of doing it really.

fraz13
Sunday 19th March 2006, 12:52
Just make yourself a new 1 :doh: lol