PDA

View Full Version : Induction kit questions

c70mel
Thursday 16th March 2006, 19:47
Hey all,

I have a C70 2.4 (non turbo) and looking for a meatier sound from the engine. Anyone heard or seen this induction kit:

http://www.potn.co.uk/-_c5206_3850_3851_3883_p1521283.htm

Im going to ring them and see if it will fit my C70 but just wondering whether anyone knows if it will cause any problems? I've heard they can damage the MAF sensor, or is this just with oily filters? Will I get the engine warning light on if I take out the airbox and fit something like this.

Also has anyone ever put an induction kit or heard one on a 2.4 engine without a turbo? Just wondering if it will make a noticeable sound?

P.S. I know it will get the dreaded warm air sucked in but im not that bothered with that for now.

Thanks in advance for any info/help!

SaffronC70
Thursday 16th March 2006, 19:55
tough call !

Better ask them if it comes with a DECENT bracket for a Volvo, if not, I'd avoid.

Should make a gruff noise, lol !

Try undoing your airbox and rev it a bit.

I've got an airbox cut in half nicely, which may give the effect you are after !

Chris

c70mel
Thursday 16th March 2006, 20:16
Im not really into the mechanical side that much so bare with me, hehe

So the bracket is the main point ive got to check with this one then. Ive heard about modding the original airbox (drilling it) but never thought it would make a noise as loud as a full induction kit would.

SaffronC70
Thursday 16th March 2006, 20:23
hi

It will make the same noise, but not as loud; possibly worth a go, save you £99.99 if you are only after the noist and aren't worried about the heat.

May as well get a filter panel of some sort; check on EBay for a KN panel.

Chris

c70mel
Sunday 19th March 2006, 18:14
Well got the drill out today and attacked my standard air box with some nice holes... result - not a sausage of sound :( i persume this is down to there being no turbo.

Had a gander in my shed and found my BFO cone which is for a Corsa:

Would it be possible to just stick this on? However the MAF (I think its the MAF) doesnt' seem to have any connector/pipe work to use. I persume these induction kits come with some sort of fitting kit to attach to the MAF?

Also how do you tell if its an oil based filter? as ive heard its a no no to use these.

madness
Sunday 19th March 2006, 19:33
its not worth it, you will loose mpg and it will suck in more hot air than its worth.

yes it is an oiled filter. they all are !!!

MattB
Sunday 19th March 2006, 19:39
Would the BSR Optiflow setup for the 850 fit??

madness
Sunday 19th March 2006, 19:41
dont know, but forget anything aprt from a sealed kit(ie viper )or a replacement filter.

c70mel
Sunday 19th March 2006, 20:05
will not be using the pipercross cone then!

I know the hot air is going to get sucked in but i'm just after a better sound from the engine for now so I can live with that. After all if the performance difference is massive I can just put the box back in. I haven't got the T5 though so the performance isn't anything to write home about anyway.

BSR Optiflow setup ? Where abouts can I buy that or get some more info on it?

Thanks for ur info

MattB
Sunday 19th March 2006, 21:17
will not be using the pipercross cone then!

I know the hot air is going to get sucked in but i'm just after a better sound from the engine for now so I can live with that. After all if the performance difference is massive I can just put the box back in. I haven't got the T5 though so the performance isn't anything to write home about anyway.

BSR Optiflow setup ? Where abouts can I buy that or get some more info on it?

Thanks for ur infoI think parts for volvo stock them???