PDA

View Full Version : recommend good tyres please

heyes
Wednesday 15th March 2006, 23:19
I need to change my tyres on my v70 t5 ,standard wheels. I would like to put on 215/55/16 and thought of toyo proxes T1r. From what people have used any suggestions. I will at some time have a remap.

Phuturephantasy
Wednesday 15th March 2006, 23:51
Haven't tried the Toyo Proxes myself but a friend of mine runs them on his Impreza and says they're excellent - and a good price too.

Currently running Kumho Ecsta Sports on my S70 - these come in the size you're after and I reckon they're a great tyre - lots of grip and feel, great price as well.

Don't understand people who Insist on paying Top Whack for a branded tyre (Mentioning No Names here) when more often than not they're not actually THAT good.

Read Independent tests on the tyres you're considering and make your own mind up - couple of sites here that compare tyres -

Click Me (http://www.mytyres.co.uk/start.html)

Click Me Too (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHP)

MattB
Thursday 16th March 2006, 00:15
Click me too (http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6155&highlight=tyre+reviews)

I'm just about to order a set of Hankook K104's from mytyres.co.uk (http://www.mytyres.co.uk)

pzorb
Thursday 16th March 2006, 00:55
You're going to get lots of personal opinions. Me, I don't hang around, and the Dunlop SP1 at each corner will last me just over 20k. I've only ever once got them to squeal (I've done 1/4miles), and that was round a corner about 40mph too fast. I'm getting them next time, they're fab. Plus 4 for 3 at quikfit :)

pyrotechnictigger
Thursday 16th March 2006, 01:31
Goodyear Eagle F1 GT3 from Event mobile tyres. Recommended by heavy footed and heavilly laden me:)

BigJC
Thursday 16th March 2006, 08:52
Continental Sport Contact 2's for me and they are excellent, still plenty of meat after 5k miles worth of abuse.

I've had Toyo proxes T1 S on a Passat 1.8T and they were very good but had a high wear rate as they were quite soft, the R might be harder.

Mrsmopp
Thursday 16th March 2006, 08:56
Continental Sport Contact 2's for me and they are excellent, still plenty of meat after 5k miles worth of abuse.

Agreed (mine have done over 10k)

x

Phuturephantasy
Thursday 16th March 2006, 09:47
I've used Continental Sport Contact 2's on mine and they are pretty good and at a pretty good price but I reckon the Hankook K104's are even better - more grip and yes more miles too and at a very slightly cheaper price too.

Not many local tyre companys seem to supply Hankooks though so you may need to order them online if you go for them.

Volvo Family
Thursday 16th March 2006, 10:58
Goodyear Eagle F1's. Just fitted them to my 2.4T, better grip than the Kumho Ecstas they replaced but the biggest surprise is how quiet they are.

LeeVTi
Thursday 16th March 2006, 13:27
i used to run toyo proxies t1-s tyres exelent grip but as mentioned a high wear rate for those with a heavy right foot, running Goodyear eagle F1 GSD 3's at the mo on my T4 seem to have a good level of grip wet and dry, and not to bad a wear rate, but i think its all down to your own budget and personall preferance and experience of tyres youve used in the past

MattB
Thursday 16th March 2006, 14:55
Not many local tyre companys seem to supply Hankooks though so you may need to order them online if you go for them.
Thats what i found too - particularly for 225/45/17's.
Thankfuly 'mytyres' came to the rescue -
should be here in the next couple of days! :B_blite:

mat562be
Thursday 16th March 2006, 14:56
Goodyear Eagle F1 GT3 from Event mobile tyres. Recommended by heavy footed and heavilly laden me:)

Agreed. Use Good Year F1s myself and swear by them. Fronts are on 14000 miles, with about 3 mm left. Rears are same milage, and I reckon will last about 40000+. Excellent in the wet, and good in the dry. Not that expensive either. 440 quid for all 4 corners...

Martinr
Thursday 16th March 2006, 15:18
Running Vredestein Ultracs front, P6000 rear.

Loads left on the Pirellis after 14K.

Fronts are fine in the centres after 12.5K but the shoulders are scrubbed so looking to change soon. Tracking is fine but wonder if the top mounts which need replacing are the cause. No fault found when MOTd in December with any of the front suspension.

Will replace with same from SelectaTyre. Contacted them this week and price guaranteed the same as I paid last year as I am a repeat customer (offender?).

Can only say good things about the tyres and the suppliers. First rate on both counts.

BlackBeast
Thursday 16th March 2006, 15:21
Not that expensive either. 440 quid for all 4 corners...

To some people thats very expensive, including myself. especially if you had to replace all 4 at the same time.

With my limited experience with tyre makes, I had Avons ZV1's on a previous car which were excellent, lasted for well over 25k miles on the front and just kept going on on the rear. I finally replaced the fronts with Falken FK-451, and they were just awful in the slightly wet/wet conditions.

The Pirelli P6000 fitted as standard on most Perfos just kept lighting up the front wheels on mine, wether it was wet or dry. Wether thats to do with them being 16" i dont know.

Babybadger
Thursday 16th March 2006, 15:26
I need to change my tyres on my v70 t5 ,standard wheels. I would like to put on 215/55/16 and thought of toyo proxes T1r. From what people have used any suggestions. I will at some time have a remap.

Vresdestein Sportrac2's £80 each fitted from Watling Tyres in Southeast.

Mrsmopp
Thursday 16th March 2006, 15:28
To some people thats very expensive, including myself. especially if you had to replace all 4 at the same time.

Hmmmmm so let me get this right.....You will pay large sums of money for a big brake conversion BUT wont pay the going rate for good quality branded tyres and instead would rather wear cheapo boots? Is there some logic in there somewhere?

Not having a go just interested. :)

x

BlackBeast
Thursday 16th March 2006, 15:48
Firstly, its not like im paying £1400 for the brakes, its less than half that, plus im getting the parts over time. Pads will cost me around £30 for the new set-up. Larger brakes are a must imo on most cars bar supercars of course.

Tyres wise, until there's an independant test regarding the tyre sizes we are interested in showing absolute proof that its worth spending more, then I will remain buying cheapo tyres that im happy with. Remember, most of the cheapo tyres are made by the expensive brands :)

I remember a test done on the common tyre size, 185/55/14 i think it was, and it showed in some cases that the cheapo tyres were just as good as the expensive ones, just hell of a lot less strain on the wallet.

Mrsmopp
Thursday 16th March 2006, 15:57
Fair enough. Its probably just me then - I dont get this whole "big brakes" thing I've never had a problem stopping on standard brakes and definately not with the DS2500, I'm guessing its something along the same vein as dump valves! What I get even less is why someone (not necessarily you) would pay hundred/maybe thousands on "big brakes" and then wont shell out on decent tyres - surely big brakes wont do ££££e if your tyres let go!?

Once again I am not having a go at anyone just airing my confusion lol

x

Mrsmopp
Thursday 16th March 2006, 16:10
Oh and just to lighten the mood http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PAIR-OF-Ling-Long-L688-205-40ZR-17-Tyres_W0QQitemZ8047388367QQcategoryZ9891QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem Now they are CHEAP tyres LOL!

x

Andy
Thursday 16th March 2006, 17:21
Oh and just to lighten the mood http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PAIR-OF-Ling-Long-L688-205-40ZR-17-Tyres_W0QQitemZ8047388367QQcategoryZ9891QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem Now they are CHEAP tyres LOL!

x

FECKING LING LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

d smith
Thursday 16th March 2006, 17:34
www.mytyres.co.uk

Phuturephantasy
Thursday 16th March 2006, 19:22
Tyres wise, until there's an independant test regarding the tyre sizes we are interested in showing absolute proof that its worth spending more, then I will remain buying cheapo tyres that im happy with. Remember, most of the cheapo tyres are made by the expensive brands :)

In fact every Independent Test I have ever read has shown that just because a tyre is more expensive it doesn't necessarily follow that it is any better, similarly many cheaper tyres have been proven to be better than the so-called High Quality (and High Price) Brands.

If you do a search for independent tests and buy various car mags with these tests in you'll see for yourself that your £100+ Tyre REALLY is NOT any better than many tyres at half that price. It just has a Big Fancy Brand Name on it...

Funny thing is most buyers probably couldn't tell the difference if you were to put various tyres on their car and ask them what was a cheap one and what was an expensive one by how it drove.

Tyres have come a long way and I don't really think there are any really bad tyres out there - at least not available from reputable dealers.

S60D5
Thursday 16th March 2006, 20:21
I think the only time people will notice the differences are when

a) putting the power down / torque through the driving wheels
b) track day
c) in the wet

In my D5 I will never have any problems putting the power down, even when it's tuned, thats not my driving style. I've never had any issues with wheelspin even when 18 and in a T5. I won't do trackdays either (at least in my own car), so this means I don't need "sticky" soft compound tyres.

I have almost aquaplaned off the French motorway in a Daewoo Matiz at 90mph (flat out) and it scared the life out of me. Now any tyres I buy HAVE to be good in the wet. Current choices for me are:-

Nankang NS-II's (Cheap but very good)
Goodyear Eagle F1's
Dunlop SP9090's
Dunlop SP MAXX

I have friends with various high powered cars, including a Dodge Viper, TVR Chimaera, Ferrari 328 and an AMG Mercedes - these cars really need all the help they can get putting the power down, and soft-compound tyres are an absolute must for these cars (I reccomend Bridgestone S-01 or S-03's)

It all depends how you drive, what car you drive and the situations you find yourself driving in. No tyre can be good at everything so compromises have to be made. What may be an excellent tyre for a heavy footed TVR driver who never drives in the wet may not suit a light-footed D5 driver who drives in all weathers........

Redbrick
Thursday 16th March 2006, 20:35
Tyres behave differently on different cars (sorry obvious statement) and in my particular size (225/35 R18) I find the F1's are the tyre of choice in the wet and everyday driving.

So3's for the dry as a summer tyre are simply AWESOME.

F1's are the better all rounder though IMHO.

Andy

S60D5
Thursday 16th March 2006, 20:40
Tyres behave differently on different cars (sorry obvious statement) and in my particular size (225/35 R18) I find the F1's are the tyre of choice in the wet and everyday driving.

So3's for the dry as a summer tyre are simply AWESOME.

F1's are the better all rounder though IMHO.

Andy

That was the point I was trying to make!!

For "every day" cars (ie most Volvos), you want a good all rounder that will be good in both the wet and dry with a decent wear rate and sensible price - step in the Goodyear or the Dunlops!

For cars which are used in the summer only when its a dry cloudless day that are putting a few hundred BHP through the rear wheels you want more than a good all rounder, they want a damn sticky tyre for the dry without caring what it does in the wet or whether it'll be worn out within 3k miles or if it costs £250 per corner.

lance
Thursday 16th March 2006, 20:45
I like BF Goodridge, Rally Drivers, 4x4 paris dakar and big v8 yank tanks like the juke of hazzard cant be wrong!!
Plus they are cheap and owned by Mitchilin.

Redbrick
Thursday 16th March 2006, 20:47
That was the point I was trying to make!!

For "every day" cars (ie most Volvos), you want a good all rounder that will be good in both the wet and dry with a decent wear rate and sensible price - step in the Goodyear or the Dunlops!

For cars which are used in the summer only when its a dry cloudless day that are putting a few hundred BHP through the rear wheels you want more than a good all rounder, they want a damn sticky tyre for the dry without caring what it does in the wet or whether it'll be worn out within 3k miles or if it costs £250 per corner.

We agree then :)

I'm just less eloquent ;)

dicky b t5
Thursday 16th March 2006, 21:22
I think the only time people will notice the differences are when

a) putting the power down / torque through the driving wheels
b) track day
c) in the wet

In my D5 I will never have any problems putting the power down, even when it's tuned, thats not my driving style. I've never had any issues with wheelspin even when 18 and in a T5. I won't do trackdays either (at least in my own car), so this means I don't need "sticky" soft compound tyres.

I have almost aquaplaned off the French motorway in a Daewoo Matiz at 90mph (flat out) and it scared the life out of me. Now any tyres I buy HAVE to be good in the wet. Current choices for me are:-

Nankang NS-II's (Cheap but very good)
Goodyear Eagle F1's
Dunlop SP9090's
Dunlop SP MAXX

I have friends with various high powered cars, including a Dodge Viper, TVR Chimaera, Ferrari 328 and an AMG Mercedes - these cars really need all the help they can get putting the power down, and soft-compound tyres are an absolute must for these cars (I reccomend Bridgestone S-01 or S-03's)

It all depends how you drive, what car you drive and the situations you find yourself driving in. No tyre can be good at everything so compromises have to be made. What may be an excellent tyre for a heavy footed TVR driver who never drives in the wet may not suit a light-footed D5 driver who drives in all weathers........
I've got Nankang NS-II's on my "R" and to be honest I really can't
fault um....! I know their quite cheap but the grip you get in the wet
or dry is very good. For a "every day Tyre" you cant go wrong.

I'm gonna go for them again but in 215/45/17 instead of 205/45/17.
Got good Rim protection to. :)

Rbphot
Thursday 16th March 2006, 21:57
Finally got the Hankooks K104 (£75 ea fitted) fitted to the front and been running them for two weeks, grip is exellent both in the dry and wet, miles better than the Falkens fitted by the last owner.
So far there really quiet.

Also fitted a Kumho KH31 (£98 fitted) to the rear as one of them was shot, my plan is to fit the same to the other rear, that way I can test two brands when I rotate them, and then go with what I feel best suit my driving style.

Hope this helps anyone thinking about the Hankooks, they get some good write ups in the test site and at £300 for 4 a good mid range option.

Ray

heyes
Thursday 16th March 2006, 22:26
Just came in from work and was amazed at the response from you all. It is really appreciated. It would appear that we all have our opinions and preferences and you pays your money and take your chances. Considering that front wheel tyres only last around 10/15 thousand miles picking a middle priced tyre made by one of the big boys seems to be the answer ie hankooks,Nankang etc. Afterall its meant to be fun trying new things.

Phuturephantasy
Friday 17th March 2006, 09:57
Plus they are cheap and owned by Mitchilin.

Owned By Michelin - Surely That's A Big Negative Point - Bloody French Company - lol
:troutslap

pyrotechnictigger
Friday 17th March 2006, 12:30
I have 4 pieces of rubber in contact with the road (most of the time!) I will scrimp on not getting scratches sorted. I will scrimp on servicing. I will scrimp on a cracked windscreen and a broken door catch. I will tolerate the alarm going off from time to time.

I will not scrimp on quality tyres. Did that on an UNO and nearly killed myself.

heyes
Friday 17th March 2006, 13:19
Just a thought I take it that 215/55/16 will fit on my T5 1999 classic

racer
Friday 17th March 2006, 14:06
YOKOHAMA
Ran A-539s on the last V70 and didn't like them. Just didn't suit the car and had a few unexpected understeer moments with them. Recently (well about 4000 miles ago) had to put new fronts on the current V70. I was in a rush and ended up with Yokohamas again.
These though, are Advan A-680s (205/50/R16) and in use, are completely different to the A-539s. I've been really surprised by them, good in the wet, put up with heavy braking without waking the ABS up.

rgracin
Friday 17th March 2006, 16:20
I have 4 pieces of rubber in contact with the road (most of the time!) I will scrimp on not getting scratches sorted. I will scrimp on servicing. I will scrimp on a cracked windscreen and a broken door catch. I will tolerate the alarm going off from time to time.

I will not scrimp on quality tyres. Did that on an UNO and nearly killed myself.

I've read this thread with interest, and wondered when someone would make this very valid point.

When you think about it, you have, as stated above, only four contact points with the road, and each of these only roughly 6x4 inches. With that in mind, I can see no logic in cost cutting when it comes to these life lines. It's correct that in most every day situations, most people would not notice the difference. But would you want to find out when, for example, your doing 80mph on the motorway, and something happens in front and you have to brake as hard as possible and steer, that your cheap tyre lets go sooner than a premium brand. It could be life or death for you and your family.

Why do you think motor manufacturers always fit premium brands at the factory? It would obviously be cheaper to fit middle of the road brands, but they don't want the law suits.

You get what you pay for!

PS. No I don't work for a trye company, but my father was heavily involded with tyre testing (in extreeme conditions) for Ford, and he has some stories to tell.

MattB
Friday 17th March 2006, 17:40
I've read this thread with interest, and wondered when someone would make this very valid point.

When you think about it, you have, as stated above, only four contact points with the road, and each of these only roughly 6x4 inches. With that in mind, I can see no logic in cost cutting when it comes to these life lines. It's correct that in most every day situations, most people would not notice the difference. But would you want to find out when, for example, your doing 80mph on the motorway, and something happens in front and you have to brake as hard as possible and steer, that your cheap tyre lets go sooner than a premium brand. It could be life or death for you and your family.

Why do you think motor manufacturers always fit premium brands at the factory? It would obviously be cheaper to fit middle of the road brands, but they don't want the law suits.

PS. No I don't work for a trye company, but my father was heavily involded with tyre testing (in extreeme conditions) for Ford, and he has some stories to tell.
Indeed it is a very valid point. You should not scrimp on these vital areas, particularly where safety is concerned. However, does high expense always mean high quality??? I believe that you should always buy the best you can afford.In general, we rely on information available to us in the form of marketing, advertising and also other peoples oppinions and personal experiences, together with our own. I have recently purchased a pair of tyres, which are 'middle priced' - believing that the quality is good. I will not know whether this is the case or not, until I have used them. Information from relevant sites, together with the oppinions of the forum members formed the basis of my decision. :)

Phuturephantasy
Friday 17th March 2006, 19:49

It's just NOT that simple - just because a tyre is more expensive it does NOT automatically mean it will perform any better then a cheaper tyre.

I always fit HIGH QUALITY tyres on my car I just don't fit HIGH PRICE tyres on my car.

Autoexpress do a really good tyre test every year and THE best performing tyre is NOT THE most expensive.

A £120 Tyre may just as easily let go in your emergency situation BEFORE a £60 tyre.

It depends on the abilities of the tyre - not how much it cost

Some expensive tyres are Great - Some are Crap

Some cheaper tyres are Great - Some are Crap

I'm a biker and as such am Obsessive about tyre performance - ask any biker about his tyres and he'll talk for days.

I can post some Independent tests and the tyre ratings from top to bottom DO NOT go in price order as you would have us believe - FAR FROM IT !

BigJC
Friday 17th March 2006, 20:02
I wouldn't mind looking at the tyre test! However, the way I drive is testament that my conti's are good because I haven't fallen off the black stuff yet!

heyes
Friday 17th March 2006, 20:04
Just a thought I take it that 215/55/16 will fit on my T5 1999 classic
Although I appreciate all the quality comments nobody has told me whether its ok to fit this tyre size on my car.

MattB
Friday 17th March 2006, 20:06
Although I appreciate all the quality comments nobody has told me whether its ok to fit this tyre size on my car.
I'd love to help you out with this one, but I simply do not know.
I have 225/45/17's on my car, but that is because I have Canisto Alloys from the C70 range :slap:

BlackBeast
Friday 17th March 2006, 20:11
It's just NOT that simple - just because a tyre is more expensive it does NOT automatically mean it will perform any better then a cheaper tyre.

I always fit HIGH QUALITY tyres on my car I just don't fit HIGH PRICE tyres on my car.

For some reason, most people in the UK believe all the hype/marketing and they think that a high price = high quality, doesnt always work like that though.

Best analargy i can think of is the VAG group, do you spend £13k on a Polo or get practically exactly the same car (Skoda Fabia) for £11k.

BigJC
Friday 17th March 2006, 20:31
I'm guessing that no is the answer. The original size is 205/50 /16 so to increase the width means you have to lower the profile/aspect ratio in order to achieve the same rolling radius. I think a 225/40/16 if they do it is within a 1% margin so your speedo won't be vastly different to your actual speed.

I may be wrong....

Phuturephantasy
Friday 17th March 2006, 20:42
I'm not sure if they'd fit I think you need 225/45/16 and they MAY rub but this may be helpful to you -

Tyre Profile Guide - Click Me (http://www.sstire.com/tireheights.html)

arbee
Friday 17th March 2006, 21:03
My prefered tyre is the Goodyear eagle F1 GS-D2 and its replacement the GS-D3.
Several factors are important to me
Wet 'Grip'
Progressiveness of breakaway or 'feel'
Price/longetivity

I have never been left wanting for dry weather grip with any tyre Ih ave used. Be it a cheapo or premium brand, either are as good as I nedd in this regard.

What I find various most between tyres tho is their wet weather abilities and their feel. in both of these regards the goodyears are sublime. They may be one of the more expensive brands but to me it is worth it.

Ian C70T5
Friday 17th March 2006, 21:14
I only ever run good year eagle F1.

wet awesome.
dry mental
tread looks cooool

rgracin
Monday 20th March 2006, 09:11

Autoexpress do a really good tyre test every year and THE best performing tyre is NOT THE most expensive.

A £120 Tyre may just as easily let go in your emergency situation BEFORE a £60 tyre.

It depends on the abilities of the tyre - not how much it cost

Some expensive tyres are Great - Some are Crap

Some cheaper tyres are Great - Some are Crap

I'm a biker and as such am Obsessive about tyre performance - ask any biker about his tyres and he'll talk for days.

I can post some Independent tests and the tyre ratings from top to bottom DO NOT go in price order as you would have us believe - FAR FROM IT !

Point taken. But I'm not suggesting that the most expensive means best. I have never read a tyre test where a budget brand beats a premium brand in all areas.

bedlam
Monday 20th March 2006, 13:49
I'm surprised at all the positive replies for F1's. I struggled to make them last for 8k miles on the front and didn't find them that good in the wet - maybe just a bit better than average. When I ran a full set from new, even swopping them, I only got 11k. When these were replaced with Toyo proxis, the front lasted 12k and the rears still have 4mm on at 14k. There was no measurable difference in performance, but I'd have said the toyos had the edge in the wet. The car was also chipped when toyos were on, so still got more mileage even with more power.
I should maybe add that I'm not interested in 0-60 dashes, just steady speed on winding roads mostly in the frozen north.

heyes
Thursday 23rd March 2006, 13:00
After much head scratching I have gone for Kumho ECSTA SPT KU31 205/50/16 which cost me £59 a corner fitted. Time will tell and thanks again for all your imput

madness
Thursday 23rd March 2006, 15:53
i'm impartial.

buy black tyres but sp9000 dunlop are good