PDA

View Full Version : Oil Changing...

Diesel64
Wednesday 15th March 2006, 19:46
Been checking the oil over the last couple of days and I think she's needing a change. Blacker than a coal miners armpit.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried that 'Engine Flush' stuff (by a company called Carlube). Its an additive you add to your old oil (i.e before the oil change), Run the engine (idle) for 20mins then do the oil change as normal. Supposed to cleanout any gunk that might have built up.

Anyone had any experience with this product (or any similar)?

Also noticed today mayonaise on the dipstick...should I worry?

Thanks

Andy
Wednesday 15th March 2006, 20:59
Been checking the oil over the last couple of days and I think she's needing a change. Blacker than a coal miners armpit.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried that 'Engine Flush' stuff (by a company called Carlube). Its an additive you add to your old oil (i.e before the oil change), Run the engine (idle) for 20mins then do the oil change as normal. Supposed to cleanout any gunk that might have built up.

Anyone had any experience with this product (or any similar)?

Also noticed today mayonaise on the dipstick...should I worry?

Thanks

My oil was black too when I bought the V70 and with it sitting for a while on the drive at the previous owners I decided to use engine flush.

20 minutes later and all the gunk etc was seeping out the sump.

I recommend it.

The maynonnaise could well be caused by short journeys.

racer
Wednesday 15th March 2006, 21:02
I've used the Wynns version on the V70 before now. Quite happy with how well it shifts gunge from inside the engine. The oil comes out like water afterwards though, so don't run the engine for much longer than the instructions say!

Diesel64
Thursday 16th March 2006, 11:26
Nice one, Thanks guys!

I'll give it a try myself and let ya kna how I get on...

I am doing a lot of short jouneys at the mo, so that does explain the Mayo.

Any recommendations for Oil? Was thinking Shell Helix, but if anyone knows of a better oil to use, I'd be happy to bow to your wisdom...

mraldonnelly
Thursday 16th March 2006, 12:45
I personally never use an engine flush. If it is designed to remove the sludge then it will no doubt also break down the oil too which, when running on idle for 20 mins can't be good for the engine. Also, when drained and refilled, you've got that momentary period where there is no oil pressure and thus no oil circulating. If a flush has been used would this not remove much of the oil film throughout the engine thus increasing wear until full pressure and circulation is achieved.

Personally, if I need to flush the engine then I use a cheap oil to refill with once drained, run the engine for a little while again, and then flush the cheap oil and refill with good stuff.

Just my opinion.

Regards

Andy

Babybadger
Thursday 16th March 2006, 15:19
Nice one, Thanks guys!

I'll give it a try myself and let ya kna how I get on...

I am doing a lot of short jouneys at the mo, so that does explain the Mayo.

Any recommendations for Oil? Was thinking Shell Helix, but if anyone knows of a better oil to use, I'd be happy to bow to your wisdom...

I say Valvoline 5/40w fully synth if you can get. I think VT use it and it is cheap as chips from local factors.

Oil has been covered here in great detail .......

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6660&highlight=oil

Oilman knows his stuff alright......