PDA

View Full Version : Vac Hose split near manifold

lance
Wednesday 15th March 2006, 12:07
Wow what a difference this makes when its split , I wasnt even concerened and didnt even know till I realized she would only do 144 mph flat out , so of for a service and check up she went. My crap Tim boost gauge reads aprox .2 bar when off and with the split hose she was still going well past 1 bar upto 130MPH.
Now shes transfered a bit like having RICA all over again, lets put it this way the needle goes nearer the TURBO sign at the bottom gauge at about 5PM 1 Bar is 3 pm.
On the down side Ive noticed a farting noise under load at very low revs ie 2nd gear 10 mph when cold , I suspect my exhaust is blowing!

Ian C70T5
Monday 20th March 2006, 21:59
You want to get that sorted mate. Overboosting can cause bent rods

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 21st March 2006, 09:08
I had the same thing Lance, I'd been moaning about my car being slow and I got told to stop being a woman its was just that I had got used to it but when she went to VT Adam spotted straightaway that I had a leaky elbow (sounds painful) the journey home was like a new car (bar my clutch slipping damn it *must get that fixed*!)

x

lance
Tuesday 21st March 2006, 14:08
I fixed the elbow last week, the boost is more stable but it starts dieing off at 4500 rpm-5000 rpm
I think my "low miles"ex pc turbos thats been refurbed isnt a genuine 16T, Ive heard from a very good source that the police sometimes replace the internals with smaller one,s giving better mid range round power but worse top end.
To give you an idea the car feels crap at 90 mph in 3rd I was only just making 90 mph @ Avon compared to 97.55 last year. Also Top speed is down its strugling to 6000rpm in 4th and in 5th wont go much more than 144 mph , 12+ mph less than last year.
However Ive had a stroke of luck and Ive managed to find my original Turbo, which appears to be in good health, as 2 people have looked at it. Ive bought it back for a very very good amount. Im having it fitted next week, and will get in for another tune up @Vt. Fingers crossed it should be a bit better.
I would love to go new 19t but at 157k its just not worth it
Lesson Learnt if it aint broke dont fix it!

lance
Monday 10th April 2006, 17:38
Ive just had my old turbo fitted and it seems better higher up in the rev range although Ive forgotton where my private roads gone to do a top speed run, I might just have to wait for Avon , I will be happy if I can get back to my previous best , but hope for better!
Would like to pop her into Vt, but I havent got time at the moment.