PDA

View Full Version : glove box

craig
Tuesday 14th March 2006, 22:41
my glove box has decided to not open for me (no its not locked) the handle just isnt releasing the catch . if i could get access from underneath i could open it with a screw driver , but has anyone had the same fault before and does anyone know if you can get into the glove box from underneath by taking the covers off before i get inverted if not then i guess its a job for a crow bar .....anyone? :slap:

craig
Tuesday 14th March 2006, 22:46
by the way its an m reg 855 t5

pzorb
Tuesday 14th March 2006, 22:46
The following site has three methods for fixing:
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/volvo_850.php

Martinr
Wednesday 15th March 2006, 10:22
Your'e not alone in this as it is a common fault.

I tracked down various suggestions and consolidated them. Here they are

"1)Measure 222mm from the GB handle side at the top of the door and mark using pencil or something.
2) measure 20mm from the top of the GB door and mark, you should have a cross now.
3) using a dremil with a 0.5mm or smaller drill, drill a hole on the cross.
4) now using a watch makers screwdriver carefully insert it into the hole and pull on the top of the door while wiggling the screwdriver end inside the hole in the GB door up and down. eventually youll trip the latch and be able to get inside the Glove Box.

it took me about 30s of wiggling. now you can repair the broken cam using the self tapper trick and youve not spent a thing. the small hole can be filled with some silicon sealant of the same colour as the GB, though the holes that small you really have to look to notice it, a black interior is even better. see photo's:

Hope you haven't drilled the hole yet - there is another possible if more fiddly solution. The same thing happened to me and my local indy volvo dealer quoted £120.00 to solve it. After I got up off the floor he did tell me how to get the glove box open to gain access to the broken lock! I bought a very fine 4ml Stihl chainsaw file and superheated the tang(thin pointy end) with a gas blow lamp, bent it approx quarter inch from the end though 90 degrees, quenched it, so ending up with a hardened steel skeleton key! Wrapped insulating tape round the file so as not to damage the interior of the glove box, fix the handle that you purchased with the file(total cost approx £2) onto the file end so its long enough and manageable. Move seat as far back as you can, Hang upside down with your head directly under the glove box, insert file from the bottom of the door to the glove box between the hinges and try and hook the locking flap back and down to release the lock from inside!! With a decent torch, a strong neck and plenty of patience it can be done!!

Next, repair the lock yourself and save approx £35-40. It is usually the small ally release pin that shears - you can drill the hole out where the pin sheard off, tap the hole with a small BA or metric tap, run same size die round a 21/2 or 3 inch nail, screw and loctite it in and cut off to the correct length. It worked on mine and have had no more probs.

If you're careful the fix is quite easy. You need to saw off the wire hoop that the catch latches to in the top of the Glove box. To do this, spring out the top of the Glove box at one corner and wedge it as far open as possible - mine went far enough so I could just see inside the box. A junior hacksaw blade bent to about 60 degrees in the middle will then slide along the top of the lid. You may want to put duct tape and/or very thin metal (old tin can) between the blade and the box lid and dash surround to protect it whilst sawing. You need to saw through both legs of the wire loop. If you take your time you won't damage either the car or your hand with the saw blade.

Once the lid is open you can remove the cover of the glove box to get at the catch. The problem is normally in the latch itself where a 3mm diam. peg shears off that actuates the latch. The metal is so soft that if you can find a suitable small bolt that will self thread into a 3mm (1/8") hole, you can drill the actuating arm and make up another peg. You will need to buy a new wire loop (Lock Brace # 3511660) from a Volvo Main Dealer (only a few quid). This loop is worth buying first as once you have sawn through the old loop there is no way to relatch the glove box.

The most difficult bit of the job I found was unclipping the two lid stops - mine just didn't want to release. I would think that with care you would be able to get to the two fixing screws for the lock brace without totally removing the glove box from the car (which is when you need to release the lid stops)

I had the same problem and managed to open the glovebox without breaking or replacing anything. Using a flat kebab skewer, which I bent about 15mm of one end to an L shape and lying upside down in the passenger footwell (a bit awkward, yes), you can shine a torch up through the gap between the dash and the lid. With a bit of patience, it is possible to locate the skewer end in the part of the catch that connects with the loop and push the catch in (towards the lid as you are looking at it). It did take a bit of patience. Once apart, I dismantled the catch mechanism and replaced the broken pin with a bit of 3mm steel rod and JB Weld. Drill a hole where the pin was originally attached, then push the rod through and JB in place. Takes a bit of DIY skill, but works perfectly and saves ££££."

Mine failed last May but I haven't gotten around to sorting it yet :( Waiting for better weather is my excuse. :)

Besides there isn't anything in there worth getting at.

t5tart
Wednesday 15th March 2006, 12:22
i like this idea of a fall back opening.... just in case
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/chat/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2870

craig
Thursday 16th March 2006, 22:54
im gonna try and pick the lock with a bent hack saw blade on saturday so il let you know how i get on . thanks for the help guys

Niles
Friday 17th March 2006, 00:05
rip the thing off with a crow bar & get a new one from e-bay or a breakers. Cost me 30 quid to do that.

craig
Friday 17th March 2006, 19:09
i think il fix it without drilling sawing or smashing,i like a chalenge..

craig
Sunday 19th March 2006, 23:42
:B_blite: well i tried hanging upside down to pick the lock but the mrs has got everything inluding the sink in there so i couldnt see a thing. i eventualy resorted to drilling a tiny hole and releasing it with a tiny screw driver the measurements were exact so i got in easy .it turned out to be the same broken little pin so i drilled it out and tapped a little screw in and then cut the head off .it took about an hour in all and theres just a tiny hole as a reminder, so thanks for all the advice and help , the forum wins again..