PDA

View Full Version : Question about DRL's

Bigpunter
Tuesday 14th March 2006, 18:28
Hi,

I've been thinking about turning the Daylight Running Lights off on my S40 Phase II for some time now.

My question is though, is it easy enough to turn them back on again? I gather you just repeat the same steps as you did to turn them off but I just wanted to make sure they can be switched on again.

Thanks,

Martin

Bigpunter
Wednesday 15th March 2006, 18:10
Has anyone tried turning them back on again?

Andy
Wednesday 15th March 2006, 18:11
Think Phase II is a visit to the dealers job to get them turned off.

Bigpunter
Wednesday 15th March 2006, 19:18
Hi Andy,

I thought that you turn them off by using the light switch and high beam leaver and moving them at different stages in the ignition (I and II) - sure it was described by someone on here. Don't know if that was Phase II or not though, probably not. :slap:

However, I am going to the dealers next month so I will ask them about turning them off - they'll probably charge me though!

Cheers,

Martin

cm2k
Friday 17th March 2006, 12:04
I think it needs a software update in order to disable the DRL's..Unfortunately I would expect a bill. :slap:

After_Shock
Friday 17th March 2006, 12:14
Yep its a software download on the new S40's, think its £60 from memory and then another £60 to re activate them, also need to inform your insurance company about the modification as they have caught onto charging people for it now aswell.

markt4
Friday 17th March 2006, 12:40
you can switch them off on a phase 11..ill sort it out later as i have it wrote down somewhere

markt4
Friday 17th March 2006, 12:46
put light switch in side light position
switch ignition to position 2
pull main beam lever towards you
turn light switch to pos 0

i belive thats it but that is from memory...ill check later

Bigpunter
Friday 17th March 2006, 13:25
put light switch in side light position
switch ignition to position 2
pull main beam lever towards you
turn light switch to pos 0

i belive thats it but that is from memory...ill check later

Thanks for the info everyone :) .

With regards to Mark's post, that’s the method I though you used on the Phase II to switch them off - however I just want to know I can switch them back on again as I'm not going to give Volvo £60 to turn them on again. My plan was to have them off in Summer and on all the time during Autumn/Winter.

Never knew you had to tell the insurance company either, but would never have thought they would charge you more for having them off! :frown:

Cheers guys,

Martin

After_Shock
Friday 17th March 2006, 18:48
When you say S40 phase 2 do you mean the classic shape S40 or the brand new shape one?

If its the classic theres no need for software downloads etc as there is a way around it, marks method should work no probs.

The insurance issue is with regards to modifying the standard spec of the car plus as the lights are a safety feature switching them off is classed as decreasing the safety of the car!

Bigpunter
Friday 17th March 2006, 20:59
Hi After_shock,

The car is an old shape S40, 2001 Phase II. Cheers for the heads-up, I will try Mark's method sometime soon and let you know if it works or not - just hope I can turn them on again!

Thanks for the contributions everyone! :B_steerin

Ian C70T5
Friday 17th March 2006, 21:02
Volvo aint a volvo if the lights are off

speedswede
Saturday 18th March 2006, 10:12
Yep its a software download on the new S40's, think its £60 from memory and then another £60 to re activate them, also need to inform your insurance company about the modification as they have caught onto charging people for it now aswell.

Is this really the case? If the use of DRLs is an option and can be changed by the user or by the dealer, then I'm not sure that this is an issue to affect your insurance.

Noticed how plod Volvo's have DRLs extinguished?

OTOH, DRLs are a safety feature and it could be argued that removing them is not a good idea. Also, things that might affect the insurance risk are called 'material facts' and you are obliged to disclose all material facts to the insurer whether you think it is likely to affect your insurance or not.

Does anyone actually have first hand experience of an insurer charging differently for non use of DRLs?

After_Shock
Saturday 18th March 2006, 17:50
Whether your insurer charges for such a change is another matter, cant see them charging unless there really in the rip off the motorist mood, but otherwise it is altering the car from the standard specification so if therefore classed as a modification so must be disclosed, as daft as it is!

Bigpunter
Saturday 18th March 2006, 18:20
Hi Guy's,

I tried Mark's method today and it did switch them off all together and by repeating it they came back on again. I'll ask the insurance company if they'll charge any more for it, if they do then I'll leave them on as they should be. I'll just need to get a set of blue tinted PIAA bulbs! :)

Thanks for the help,

Martin

speedswede
Saturday 18th March 2006, 22:55
it is altering the car from the standard specification so if therefore classed as a modification so must be disclosed, as daft as it is!

Agree with that, but if the change is actually a "manufacturer option" rather than a "modification" then they shouldn't be charging you. ;)

After_Shock
Sunday 19th March 2006, 01:10
Technically its not a manufacturer option as Volvo dont recommend it, even if they did and its a manufacturer option as you say they still need to be informed although they shouldnt charge for it.