PDA

View Full Version : History tracking

racer
Tuesday 14th March 2006, 15:36
One for the Volvo staff guys I think.

Part number for my engine is 8111154 which claims to be an replacement unit type B5234T. Putting the VIN number into the same "knowlage base" returns the engine type as B5234T3.

Which implies that the engine has been changed at some point in the cars history. Fair enough, it's ex-police, so these things happen.

What I want to know is, would the mileage be reset to zero if a new engine was fitted?

If it has been I've got inter-galactic mileage on the car. If it's not been, is there a way I can find out how many miles are on the engine?

Would Volvo have records of this anywhere?

Thanks in advance,
Worried of Didsbury.

P.S. VIN and Engine serial number available via PM if needed.

t5owner
Tuesday 14th March 2006, 15:39
AFAIK the speedo would not be reset to zero as this would then give a lower mileage than the car had actually covered and would of course be illegal

The mileage stated on the speedo is the actual that the car as a whole has covered and is not just for what the engine has done so you could have say an engine thats done 50k as its been replaced but the car itself has done say 190k and thats the figure the speedo will give

As for finding out when the engine was replaced possibly the only way is to contact the service department of the force that owned the car and see if you can get a service printout although it`s not as easy to get as it sounds

Cheers

stuart

racer
Tuesday 14th March 2006, 19:17
Thanks for the info Stuart. This is not going to be easy then, is it? :(

Tomcat
Tuesday 14th March 2006, 21:41
I tried the same thing a while back, my cars ex plod and I wanted to know if the engine had ever been replaced, after making enquiries I found out that the police only keep service records for a short while after disposing of the vehicles( I think it was 6 mnths or less). If you can find out where it was serviced(i.e. which dealer) then you may be able to track down some history, but its not looking good.

racer
Tuesday 14th March 2006, 23:28
Bugger! No chance of tracing the engine serial number through Volvo then?

Tomcat
Tuesday 14th March 2006, 23:56
You could try, I took mine into Rybrook at Warrington and they still had it down as being a Police car, but they had no details on file for it...

pzorb
Wednesday 15th March 2006, 00:08
The dealer that serviced mine for 150000 miles scrubbed their records clean because it hadn't come in for two years. AFAIK each dealer keeps a record, no data is centrally shared. Shame really.

racer
Wednesday 15th March 2006, 19:34
Tried asking the Volvo dealers near work today. They had the car on the system, but no data after 30,000 miles. Records of some minor warranty stuff, but that's it. They did have the original engine serial number, so that proves it's been changed. No idea how many miles are on the engine though.

I can feel a new cambelt coming on.....