PDA

View Full Version : Disabling seat airbags???

S70T5
Monday 13th March 2006, 08:47
Morning guys,

A bit of a random one here - I have bought a 1997 S70 leather interior from eBay and will be fitting it to my car soon.
Apparently as my car is a 1999 model, the seat airbags will have a different plug as they are different brands.
If I leave them unplugged, the SRS light will obviously come on and no airbags would work.
Is there some way I can 'fool' the system into thinking they are still connected so the front ones still work? I thought maybe a resistor soldered onto the plug may work? :insane:
Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!!

t5tart
Monday 13th March 2006, 08:50
suppose you could always measure the resistance through the curcuit and jump a resistor see if it works
but i would think there is some electronic wizardry in there

heyes
Monday 13th March 2006, 21:27
Iv'e just finished having leather put in my v70 1999 and it appeared the air bags were a different size and connections. It proved much simplier to exchange the covers and keep the orginal seat and airbags. Looks great.

S70T5
Tuesday 14th March 2006, 10:01
Thanks for the replies guys :)
How easy is it to swap the seat covers over - is it something I can do myself?
I would also want to swap the heated seat parts over and also the electric adjustment motors if that is possible? :slap:

Chris

heyes
Tuesday 14th March 2006, 14:20
I got them done for me as the donar seat conections were different to my 1999 car so we just exchanged covers.

S70T5
Tuesday 14th March 2006, 14:42
Do you know if this was easy to do? I have decided this would be better than 'bodging' the wiring!!

Chris

S70T5
Tuesday 14th March 2006, 23:02
I got a quote from a local seat trimming firm and they can swap the leather covers, heater element's etc onto my existing seats for £100 per seat. It sounds alot to me, they said it could be done in a day which is cool.
Has anyone tried themselves?

Chris

heyes
Tuesday 14th March 2006, 23:15
That's about the going rate. Leave it to the experts, it will save heartache in the long run.