PDA

View Full Version : Power flex top mount on 850 1995!

Babybadger
Sunday 12th March 2006, 16:52
Just spent most of the afternoon trying to get the existing top mount out ( I thought this was a 1/2 hour job?) and the rubber is bonded to it like a crap underlay to screed! Anyway offered the poly bush up to the hole (still needs cleaning up though) and its too big! Part number is PFF88-105 which is for 850/S70/V70 up to 1998. Help! I know its the right part number , but the poly will not fit in slot!

iGGy
Sunday 12th March 2006, 17:50
Not having done one myself, but you say it's the correct part. Are you sure you've got the old bush out 100%? Not just removed the middle of it in some way but the outer metal ring of the bush is still in the mounting? Just a guess.

Engineer
Sunday 12th March 2006, 17:52
Just spent most of the afternoon trying to get the existing top mount out ( I thought this was a 1/2 hour job?) and the rubber is bonded to it like a crap underlay to screed! Anyway offered the poly bush up to the hole (still needs cleaning up though) and its too big! Part number is PFF88-105 which is for 850/S70/V70 up to 1998. Help! I know its the right part number , but the poly will not fit in slot!www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5706 (http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5706)

Hope this helps.

Babybadger
Sunday 12th March 2006, 17:52
Not having done one myself, but you say it's the correct part. Are you sure you've got the old bush out 100%? Not just removed the middle of it in some way but the outer metal ring of the bush is still in the mounting? Just a guess.

Outer metal ring of the bush? I thought that was the housing?

Engineer, this takes more than a minute, it looks like the rubber has vulcanised to the outside unless there is a plastic casing or metal casing on the outside.

The Flying Banana
Sunday 12th March 2006, 18:08
This may seem a daft question but just read engineers replacement guide....once all the bolts / nuts etc are undone does the engine not require supporting to take the weight off the mount and certainly once the mount is away from the engine does it not fall back ?

Babybadger
Sunday 12th March 2006, 18:36
This may seem a daft question but just read engineers replacement guide....once all the bolts / nuts etc are undone does the engine not require supporting to take the weight off the mount and certainly once the mount is away from the engine does it not fall back ?

Nope my mount was sheared at the middle and there was no loading on it.

You only get loading on it when accelerating or braking.

UPDATE: got the old one completely out , but only one bush will go in! The other (turbo side) will not fit flush face wise it seems like its about 1-2mm bigger in diameter. I thought they were meant to exactly the same diameter?

Babybadger
Monday 13th March 2006, 11:46
Has anyone ever had problems fitting a poly top mount? The left hand side of the mount as you look front on is giving me Shi*e! It looks like it is only slightly bigger than the mount hole itself , but the other bush is the same diameter!

Help! Top mounters Help!

rottertron
Monday 13th March 2006, 12:19
I had trouble fitting the left hand side of the bush too. It seems that the right hand side of the mount is fluted so it just slides in, where as and the left hand side isnt making fitting much harder. After I spent hours trying various methods such as using clamps, using a press, heating the polybush, using lots of lube it still didnt go in. But then it did finally fit by just using my bare hands and getting the edges of the bush in and then using a press to pull the two parts together.
Belive me at one point I felt the same as you and didnt think it would ever fit!

fireclown
Monday 13th March 2006, 13:01
if you put a small taper on the leading edge of the bush it helps. i trimmed mine. it went in easy.

Babybadger
Monday 13th March 2006, 13:55
Thanks you guys , will give it ago tonight!

t5tart
Monday 13th March 2006, 14:36
i had the same troubly
got it started on the skew and fed it into the housing with a large screwdriver just bending it in eventually it popped in and could just be squeezed together

tokk a while same problems as you seem to be having

simonc
Monday 13th March 2006, 18:01
Great iv'e got this to look foward to, this item was reported on my last service.

Simon.

Babybadger
Monday 13th March 2006, 21:17
Great iv'e got this to look foward to, this item was reported on my last service.

Simon.

Simon, there is nothing great about this job! Square peg and round hole comes to mind. The bugger just won't go in. As soon as you get near to shoehorning it in it pops out the other side. Don't use to much lubricant .....oooooer missus. It does need a smidge just inside the metal ring so as soon as it is in, it will slide the rest of the way. I am talking like an expert here ;-) I let you know when theory and practise meet.

Good luck , I nearly christened the car with my baseball bat earlier. DIY is not my forte.

hamish
Monday 13th March 2006, 21:37
Hi,

Piece of piss, but then I did make a tool for the job ! Just leave it to the Pro's ! It might cost you money, but it will be easier in the long run !!! :haha:

Regards,
Hamish.
HLM / Chip Tuning Ltd
01527 577710

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 14th March 2006, 01:38
a long bolt (or thread with nuts) with some huge washers...!!!!

Gradually tighten up the bolt around the two bushes then using a blunt instrument gradually work the offending side into place. there is no need to cut the bush......

Babybadger
Tuesday 14th March 2006, 09:23
Hi,

Piece of piss, but then I did make a tool for the job ! Just leave it to the Pro's ! It might cost you money, but it will be easier in the long run !!! :haha:

Regards,
Hamish.
HLM / Chip Tuning Ltd
01527 577710

Hamish,

Are you touting for work? How much would it cost for you to travel to SE london and fit the bush........ ;-). I will persevere rather than pay HLM's hourly rate ;-) Anyway I am not sure I want my Hamish playing with my 'bush' :troutslap

What tool did you make out of interest?

Just bought 2 big washers with 10mm holes and an m8 bolt and nut for 78p. This should do it or I will do a Basil Fawlty on the T5!