PDA

View Full Version : T5 16" wheels on 98 V70Rawd?

mike7
Sunday 12th March 2006, 14:53
Hi Guys,
got my V70R yesterday and drove home to north of Inverness in horrendous conditions. Unable to get car home but left it at my work.
Anyway, I was wondering if I can fit my old T5 alloys onto this car as I have Vredstein wintracs on them and these tyres are excellent in snow/heavy rain. I think there might be an issue with the discs being bigger on the V70R? I don't fancy digging out to get to the car, remove a wheel only to find it wont fit. But if no answer today, then that will be tomorrows first task!

cheers,Mike

After_Shock
Sunday 12th March 2006, 14:56
Im fairly sure that they wont fit as you say due to the bigger discs, however im sure some people will have tried it so will confirm for definate.

Andy
Sunday 12th March 2006, 14:56
Hi Guys,
got my V70R yesterday and drove home to north of Inverness in horrendous conditions. Unable to get car home but left it at my work.
Anyway, I was wondering if I can fit my old T5 alloys onto this car as I have Vredstein wintracs on them and these tyres are excellent in snow/heavy rain. I think there might be an issue with the discs being bigger on the V70R? I don't fancy digging out to get to the car, remove a wheel only to find it wont fit. But if no answer today, then that will be tomorrows first task!

cheers,Mike

What T5 wheels do you have?

If they are perfo (came on s70's and v70's) then yes they will fit as they were adapted to take 302mm brakes (namely police spec discs etc)

If the T5 wheels are columbos (came on 850's) then they will not fit.

I am of course assuming that the brakes on your V70R are standard.

BlackBeast
Sunday 12th March 2006, 14:58
Hi Mike, the older style 850 T5 wheels will only fit the smaller brakes (280mm). All depends which size carriers you have on your 'R'.

t5owner
Sunday 12th March 2006, 15:05
What T5 wheels do you have?

If they are perfo (came on s70's and v70's) then yes they will fit as they were adapted to take 302mm brakes (namely police spec discs etc)

If the T5 wheels are columbos (came on 850's) then they will not fit.

I am of course assuming that the brakes on your V70R are standard.

I have 16" Columbas on my 1997 S70 "P" reg so if its a "P" plated V70R it could have columbas or perfos

mike7
Sunday 12th March 2006, 15:07
Hi Guys,
that was quick. Must be the bad weather!!
Yes, my wheels are from the early 850 so as suspected they will not fit. That is a pain as the Vredsteins have only done 500 miles max on them. I will need to look out for a set of wheels over the next while for winter use.
cheers,Mike.

Andy
Sunday 12th March 2006, 15:10
I have 16" Columbas on my 1997 S70 "P" reg so if its a "P" plated V70R it could have columbas or perfos

Any S70 T5's came with perfo's as standard though mate, how you ended up with columbas?

mike7
Sunday 12th March 2006, 15:14
Hi Guys,
forgot to say that the V70Rawd is a 1998 on a R model. It has 17" wheels on it and the discs do look like the larger ones.

The T5 alloys are of a 1994 855.

Looks like a search for 17" wheels with no or poor tyres will be on for next year as snow tyres are essential for me.

cheers,Mike

BlackBeast
Sunday 12th March 2006, 15:17
Hi Guys,
that was quick. Must be the bad weather!!
Yes, my wheels are from the early 850 so as suspected they will not fit. That is a pain as the Vredsteins have only done 500 miles max on them. I will need to look out for a set of wheels over the next while for winter use.
cheers,Mike.

But just cause you have an 'R', doesnt mean you have the larger front discs! Measure your front discs just to make sure.

For example, my '97 V70 T5 has the later style Perfos but it only has the 280mm disc and iirc, VikingT5 '98 V70 T5 also had the later style Perfos and the 280mm disc.

fraz13
Sunday 12th March 2006, 15:20
Hi Mike, Glad you got up the road as its wild here never mind that far North lol First time we had snow this year in this area and 8 inches in 1 night is superb :D

Look forward to seeing your new baby at a Scottish meet soon ;)

fraz13
Sunday 12th March 2006, 15:23
But just cause you have an 'R', doesnt mean you have the larger front discs! Measure your front discs just to make sure.

For example, my '97 V70 T5 has the later style Perfos but it only has the 280mm disc and iirc, VikingT5 '98 V70 T5 also had the later style Perfos and the 280mm disc.
I thought all S/V70 R's have the 302 discs

BlackBeast
Sunday 12th March 2006, 15:30
I thought all S/V70 R's have the 302 discs

I aint sure fraz, thats why im saying to be 100% sure just to measure the disc. If they are 302mm then alls well and he has to get a set of Perfos. If he has the 280mm and buys the Perfos, hes just wasting money. I dont like to see anyone wasting there money :cop:

Vikingxl
Sunday 12th March 2006, 20:31
I have seen an S70R with 280mm discs on dont know why they were on there but they were.

mike7
Sunday 12th March 2006, 20:43
Hi Guys,
from what I looked at yesterday I would say the V70R has the bigger discs, but I will indeed measure and will probably just bolt on the wheel for all the time it will take.
Fraser,I was going through Glasgow at midnight and it was pretty bad, although with the awd I was still doing about 60. I thought of stopping in Perth 'cos of conditions as it was getting worse. Then near Perth, not a drop of the white stuff, so on I went, knowing the A9 to be potentially bad, but hoping that the snow had not got there yet.But it was. 40mph most of the way, and blizzards like I have never driven in before, and I have seen a few. Got to Inverness, not a drop of the white stuff. 5 miles out and bad again, though not drifting as before. Only 25 miles now. Really needed the awd for the hills at mine-only 200 metres to go and no chance. 5.5 hours instead of 2.5 from Glasgow.Tried today and no way, so took car 3 miles away to work where it won't be hit by the snow plow when it finally gets here.
As to a Scottish meet I hope to get to something.
Now to look for a set of 16"ers to fit my car and wintracs, or another set of 17"ers. Add it to the list...
cheers, and thanks. Mike

fraz13
Sunday 12th March 2006, 21:06
I know the feeling there, I used to go with a chick from Inverness, What a place, so clean compared to Glasgow and a fantastic night out lol

Anyhoo left Inverness 1 night around 5pm, 5 of us in the car, just light rain but nothing bad, As I started heading up the hills out of town the snow started, Ended up doing the next 50 miles at no faster than 15mph as it was blizzards straight at me, it was dark Volvo lights are pants fog lights are worse then to top it all off snow covered them making it near impossible to see, Anyhoo it used to be a 3 hour trip that took 5.5 that night.

All good fun but the amount of cars off the road that we couldnt stop to help or we could have been next was unreal, I have never driven in weather like that before but a suppose thats how Aviemore and places do so well lol

mike7
Monday 13th March 2006, 20:43
Hi Guys,
tried the wheels but as we thought no use due to discs. Tried to remove Volvo wheel lock with their tool and as I found out, tool hopeless. Battered on a 19mm socket and that done the job. I will search and see what people use as locknuts but if they are all as easy to remove as this why bother?
Just as well they are easy when Volvo's own are so crap.

cheers,Mike.

bigbluebus
Tuesday 28th March 2006, 13:37
SNAP! I'm north of Inverness and in a 98 V70R awd as well...

Hope you manged to dig yourself out of the whitestuff. Bashing through the snow was good fun those few days, but I can see why you want the Wintracs.

As you've already found out, I see, the 16 inch wheels are a hit and miss proposition for us (I wanted to go that option too...) Let me know what you come up with!

Regards, steve