PDA

View Full Version : Petrol tank help

mulletboy2
Saturday 11th March 2006, 00:42
Hiya guys,

Well, to cut a long story short, Nookie has a hole in the top of her petrol tank. I thought I'd fixed the problem with some metal epoxy, but tonight found out that the problem remains...

I'd assumed that the petrol tank was metal before adding the metal epoxy, but it actually sounds like it's plastic - can anyone confirm if this is correct? I've got the Haynes book of lies, and it looks like a petrol tank swap might be on the cards, although I've got one other option, which is to melt a new plastic layer to the top of the hole (like welding metal, but with plastic). In order to do this, I hopefully won't need to actually remove the tank, but rather undo a few things and prop the tank up using a jack... which is nice.. and there's no danger of fire (the flash point of petrol is actually pretty high, so without sparks, the vapour won't ignite).

So.. has anyone tried a repair like this before? I'm going to pop in and see Hamish and find out what they'd charge to swap out the petrol tank (and call Salvo to get a price on a tank), but funds are rather short at the moment, so would prefer to repair myself for now, and look at replacing the tank later.

How thick is the plastic of the petrol tank? I've got some chemically resistant plastic (used for holding polyester resin), which I've been informed is the same kind of plastic used for plastic petrol tanks - can anyone confirm this?

Any other info much appreciated. I don't think I can face another week or two driving my mum's car to work :(

Cheers

Mark

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 11th March 2006, 00:51
Have spare tank if needed (minus holes)

mulletboy2
Saturday 11th March 2006, 00:55
Have spare tank if needed (minus holes)
Are they the same tanks? :D Cool mate, I might well take you up on that. Lmk how much you're looking for.

Don't suppose you're at a loss for things to do this weekend are you? ;)

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 11th March 2006, 01:11
For you my friend? Consider it done.

mulletboy2
Saturday 11th March 2006, 01:12
You're a ******* legend mate :D

Ring ring