PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a T5, Need Advice!!

Bison
Friday 11th March 2005, 01:42
Just bought a T5 S. it's very low miles and has full history, due a service and cambelt change soon, It's a beauty and I really want to look after this one so what should I be looking to do to it first in terms of general maintenance, any thing in particular I should look out for??

Also i've notice temp is normal on idle, but on motorways goes very cold almost like just started up. also heater aren't blowing hot, just warm? thermostat? how much? & is it DIY??

Advice always appreciated (ps i'll get some pics up soon as!)

Bison

Wobbly Dave
Friday 11th March 2005, 01:50
Go through your service history and compare it with the stage 0 tune up as found in the knowledge section of this forum.

Best way to ensure you start on a good footing.

Other ideas such as ITG filters and strut braces (which might be mentioned) are also good things (and not that expensive)

Wobbly Dave
Friday 11th March 2005, 01:51
If you are not busy on Sunday I would be happy to give her the once over?

siamblue
Friday 11th March 2005, 03:15
Come on then Bison what mods are inline for her?Anything radical? :dgrin:

Giles
Friday 11th March 2005, 09:21
Just bought a T5 S. it's very low miles and has full history, due a service and cambelt change soon, It's a beauty and I really want to look after this one so what should I be looking to do to it first in terms of general maintenance, any thing in particular I should look out for??

Also i've notice temp is normal on idle, but on motorways goes very cold almost like just started up. also heater aren't blowing hot, just warm? thermostat? how much? & is it DIY??

Advice always appreciated (ps i'll get some pics up soon as!)

Bison

I had this temp on mine as well - turned out to be thermostat.

Bison
Friday 11th March 2005, 11:15
Come on then Bison what mods are inline for her?Anything radical?

Well seeing as you've mentioned it, it's allready slammed 40mm on 18"s, has the R front bumper, and has had the headlight wipers removed.

Now i'm off to longlife for a full s/s system, obviously going for the RICA 304bhp upgrade of course the filter as well. My mate is going to design me a huge front mounted intercooler, yes bigger than the standard one. (might be able to do a group buy on these) i'd also like to get a bigger Turbo fitted. and the windows want a light smoke tint.

Keeping it Subtle!
Bison

glock19
Friday 11th March 2005, 11:26
Well seeing as you've mentioned it, it's allready slammed 40mm on 18"s, has the R front bumper, and has had the headlight wipers removed.

Keeping it Subtle!
Bison

Subtle, it will not be - with the above.... :)

Wobbly Dave
Friday 11th March 2005, 11:32
19T and a remap, Ferita race cat.

Main problem as you get into the mid 300s bhp - are the internals - conrods are a weak link.

Bison
Friday 11th March 2005, 15:35
Main problem as you get into the mid 300s bhp - are the internals - conrods are a weak link.

Are the conrods expensive to upgrade?

I don't really understand all the technical stuff to be honest with you. I want power but also want to keep it reliable. I may just go for the RICA upgrade then with Exhaust and Filter and leave it at that?

that will be what around 310-320 bhp? just a guess, I take it you are talking 340 + bhp before conrods become a problem??

Bison

Murphy
Friday 11th March 2005, 15:47
The 15g is a good turbo though, and can run 20+ psi without a problem. The 19T is a bid turbo and works top end of the rev range. I personally couldn't justify the 19T upgrade by itself, and it will take many thousands of pounds to have a massive on the road leap in performance. My friend runs a 19t - sports cat + full system on a rica map, and it is breathtakingly quick in it's own right, but not that much quicker than a 15g on a 304 remap.

just my 2p :)

Wobbly Dave
Friday 11th March 2005, 16:07
There are uprated rods. This only really becomes an issue after 340bhp. But you may also have to look at the drive shafts. Phase 2 V70's and onwards, were built with stronger internals.

So long as you don't push too much into the engine at lower rpm's you will be fine - which is why remapping is by far the safest/kindest solution

My personal opinion is the regular RICA remap will be fine, for you, at least initially. Ring up VT and speak to Adam. His (now sold) 850R was extensively modified - as a test car, so he will be able to advice you of the pit falls, when it comes to performance and reliability