PDA

View Full Version : ICE Question

JimboT5
Friday 10th March 2006, 00:27
Hi all,

I spent most of today crouched in my boot rewiring the rather Heath Robinson cd changer set up that the previous owner *COUGH COUGH* installed. At some point it's had new drive units which have been left but also a subwoofer and other bits that are long gone as I removed miles of unused wires, but the rear door speakers and the tweeters are fed from crossover type boxes. On the boxes it has a switch marked "tweeter" and you can either select "flat" or "-3dB". It's currently on flat and I was wondering what the -3dB setting would actually do soundwise?

My next job is to remove all the stock speaker wiring (basically nasty cheap doorbell wire) and replace it with nice see-through copper stuff!

Vikingxl
Friday 10th March 2006, 00:28
Where are you Mullet boy your expert advice is required!

racer
Friday 10th March 2006, 00:50
-3dB switch will sound like you turned the treble dial down on your stereo. Probably provided so you can run tweeters that would normally sound too bright with the rest of your system.

See-through copper? The man's found a new element! :duck:

t5tart
Friday 10th March 2006, 01:43
-3db
basically is a tweeter cut to let the mid range come through a bit more
if it sounds a bit tinny select the -3db will reduce the output to the tweeters

JimboT5
Friday 10th March 2006, 16:21
Many thanks for the replies guys, I shall give it a try and see if I prefer it. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to blow anything up first!

Don't get too excited about the see-through copper stuff! Just upgrading the standard aluminium stranded cable with something a little better! :anmflower

BlackBeast
Friday 10th March 2006, 16:38
but the rear door speakers and the tweeters are fed from crossover type boxes.

Jimbo, where are these boxes located?

JimboT5
Friday 10th March 2006, 17:29
Jimbo, where are these boxes located?

Hi there,

I'm not sure 100% sure these are standard and I think they we're fitted by one of the previous owners - BUT mine are located in the recess behind the head unit and accessible from the passenger side footwell. You just remove the trim under the glovebox secured with three star headed screws, pull back the carpet and remove the large peice of black plastic trim that acts as a kick panel for the recess behind the headunit. I'd be interested to see if other 850s have them too.

S60D5
Friday 10th March 2006, 17:54
Hi there,

I'm not sure 100% sure these are standard and I think they we're fitted by one of the previous owners - BUT mine are located in the recess behind the head unit and accessible from the passenger side footwell. You just remove the trim under the glovebox secured with three star headed screws, pull back the carpet and remove the large peice of black plastic trim that acts as a kick panel for the recess behind the headunit. I'd be interested to see if other 850s have them too.

They're not standard, were fitted along with the speakers when changed in the mid-late 90's for the cars first owner ;)

mulletboy2
Saturday 11th March 2006, 01:31
It will almost definitely sound better set to -3dB (for those up front anyway). Sounds should come from infront of you, not behind.. with the exception of bass, which you can get away with behind you without too much of a negative effect. Reducing the treble coming from behind you is a good idea.